Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 15, 2002, 8:01 AM   #1

Default fuji fine pix 2300

I've seen a lot of fuji fine pix 2300 refurbished for sale on the internet. Price is around $120. 2.1mp, is this camera ok?
dougk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2002, 11:17 AM   #2

Default Refurbished 2300

You are asking two questions: Is the 2300 a good camera, and is refurbished a good idea. The answers to both are maybe. I have a 1300 (identical except for CCD size) and a 2800. The 1300 takes just as good a picture as the 2800 does in 1M/Fine mode. Can hardly tell the difference at full screen size. The flash isn't as bright as the 2800 though. And there's no zoom (the reason I upgraded to the 2800). I'd suggest a 2600 to last you longer, not 'cause it's better. It's just more versatile with the zoom, and you get better lens protection (clamshell design) when not in use.
I'm skeptical of refurbished: it can mean either repaired or repackaged. Repaired should be avoided, the camera could be a "lemon". Repackaged is tricky: WHY was it repackaged. Did someone buy it and return it 'cause they damaged it? Was it a demo model? I've only bought one refurbished item in my life (a VCR), which needed $150 worth of work within 4 months of purchase. Luckily it had a USA manufacturer's warranty, which required I drive across the border (I live in Canada) to get it fixed, and back again to pick it up. Luckily the depot was within a 35 min drive from home. That was before 9/11: today the border crossings would take up much more of my time (probably double).
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 2:12 AM   #3

Update: Well, I had my FinePix 1300 in to Fuji Canada for a warranty fix and they couldn't get the part, so they swapped it for a "refurbished" 2300 !!! The 2300, right out of the "refurbished"-labelled box, wouldn't work with batteries!!! Luckily I tried it at the Fuji repair center before I left. They opened it up and found they hadn't attached the wires inside. It then worked ok. They told me they only test them using an AC adapter, not with batteries installed. Quality-wise the pictures are about the same as with the 1300 (more pixels though), but the lens has more color fringing on the left than the 1300: most noticeable with high contrast objects (red fringe one one side of object, green on the other). The fringing extends to about 1/3 of the way across the images. This does not seem to affect sharpness much, it's just distracting. Not sure if I'll bother taking it back to sort this out, as I use my 2800 now.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 1:32 PM   #4

I had a look at the imaging-resource web site's comparometer test photos. I noted that the 2300 they used had a similar problem, only on the right side of the images. It is most noticeable in the "musicians" and "resolution" images.
The fringing on mine is most noticeable when taking pictures of subjects at infinity. Pictures taken with the subject at 3-20 feet make it much harder to discern: I usually have to enlarge those to 200% to really notice it.
Old Feb 3, 2003, 1:36 PM   #5

Fuji has advised they will again swap the "refurbished" 2300, which they gave me in exchange for the 1300, for another 2300 (probably refurbished as well) that they are shipping to my local repair depot. Will keep you posted.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 1:31 PM   #6

Fuji has replaced the refurbished 2300 with another refurbished 2300, and the new one's pictures are great. No noticeable color fringing or lack of sharpness on either edge of it's images. The reduced color fringing creates a more contrasty image in those areas as well.