Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 20, 2004, 6:23 PM   #1

I have been experamenting with longer exposure times, but so far have only had success at night.

I'm trying to do that blurry water type of effect, but when I attempt it the picture is just blown out and over exposed (or completely white). I have been trying to shoot in shutter priority mode, and I've tryed a bunch of settings, but haven't been able to get it right.

What am I doing wrong? Anyone have any suggestions for someone just learning?
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2004, 7:35 PM   #2

Try getting a Neutral Density filter for your camera. This will cut down on the light entering the camera, so you can use a slower shutter and your pics won't be blown out.

Also, if your camera has changeable settings for ISO, use a lower number such as 100, or even 50.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:34 PM   #3

One other thingyou can try is setting your camera to "p" mode. You can then use the dial which will change both aperture and shutter speed with setting that will work for both. turn down the shutter speed to the lowest you can without getting a error and let the aperture change to compensate. The only real issue you will have doing this is that the depth of field will also change and you may not get the results you desire. If you can't get what you want you will have to either do as the previous post and filter the lense or wait until early morning or late late evening when the sun is not so bright.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips! I'll give the second one a shot first, mostly because it can do that easily, but I'll probably end up picking up an ND filter too.

Thanks!
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote