Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 16, 2002, 12:24 PM   #1

Default S602 still image quality

Has anyone had any problems with washed out images from the 602. The few pics I have taken are definately lacking in strong colour, needing lots of editing using Photoshop before prints look like the originals. Are there settings I should change?
Yes I should read the book but it's too heavy going and I find people are more knowledgeable than manuals!

Thanks in advance
Digimonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2002, 7:12 PM   #2

Default S602 washed out pics

Funny you should post on this. I've just got my 602. My feeling is pics are slightly 'lifted' luminance wise. First check your monitor calibration. I still think it's the 602 because I've tried the auto level mode in 3 editors and they all darken and increase contrast slightly. here's some ideas. When the 602 is used in auto mode it uses multi mode metering. which the manual says 'assesses the scene and selects correct exposure' - I can't believe it's that clever!. Now for point and shoot it might always be better to err on the over rather than under expose. I estimate my pics are 1/2 to a stop over exposed. That seems like sensitivity I'd like to use. In auto mode you are constrained to Fuji settings which always get you a picture. However, I'm beginning to wonder if 'P' mode is better. You can select alternative film speeds, choose spot metering and exposure compensation. I've got some TV camera greyscales around somewhere so will try testing later. Any comments from more experienced 602 users please?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 7:29 PM   #3

Default S602 washed out pics-Continued

Hi, since my last post I,ve checked out RGB levels on a dozen pics. Can't find zero in any low light shadow, i'e the pics are lifted in luminance . After auto correct, darkest shadows are adjusted to near zero. Perhaps Fuji were setting the 602's output for NTSC screens! I'll play with the exposure metering in 'P' mode.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 3:34 AM   #4

Mmmm!
Glad to hear I am not alone in this. I might take time out today to 'play' with the camera more. I did realise today that my pictures so far have been of part landscape part sky scenes. I am going to try a more varied range of subject matter to see if things change, then perhaps I will go through your suggestions re landscape shots.

Thanks so far!

Steve
Old Sep 17, 2002, 4:58 AM   #5

Hi, I think getting reference monitor brightness/contrast/gamma and ambient room lighting is V.important. However, I have also found photo editors give different results. Exploring the cam off auto mode is a good start. I am trying to put together some electronically generated slides which I can shoot and compare side by side on the same monitor. I always keep both the cam originals and edited files. This area of photometry/colorimetry is very tricky. A picture which looks great on screen may need different compensation for hard copy print. And who knows what a Walmart Fuji minilab laser printer does - without feeding it both cam and electronically generated ref. pics. I guess this is no different to film stock/print issues, but at least we now have more control!
Old Sep 17, 2002, 10:43 AM   #6

Much improvement today!
Adjusted monitor settings using Adobe Gamma Calibration. Isn't it amazing what we consider to be a calibrated monitor! Mine was way out and it is generally better now.
Took some macro shots today with a great deal of success. I'm beginning to believe this as good as my EOS!
Re-checking my landscape shots and even they are better now!
Old Sep 20, 2002, 6:36 PM   #7

Digimon - glad to see you've sorted it, this is just the beginning, wait until you start making hard copy prints! Colorimetry/photometry is a moveable feast, what appears ok on one monitor might not be right for say a print process or lcd projector. You can tweak most things, but keeping copies of the cam files unprocessed gives you a return path. I find the histogram outputs of some editors useful for brightness/contrast as they use the actual numerical values of pixels and are output device independent.