Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 17, 2002, 10:05 AM   #1

Default Dust trapped inside S602z lens

I've been using my S602 for about 2 months and found that there are little dust INSIDE the lens. How do I clean it?
isaacvoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2002, 1:06 PM   #2

Very worrying. I'd be worrying most about how it was getting in there. Sounds like a warranty job and an explanation as to how it got in for this Forum. They probably assemble these in a clean room. Assuming no easy path, is this dust getting in or is it internal (paint) coatings coming away? Has the cam been used in a hot humid atmos?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2002, 10:18 AM   #3

I'm not sure how it got into it. Could it be the air blower which I used on the lens blowed it inside intead of cleaning it? For a normal digicam, should it be perfectly dust free inside the lens?
isaacvoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 5:22 PM   #4

Digicam manufacturers should know how to make lenses, since most have migrated from film models, albeit they might still be learning the electronics! Unlike fixed focus lenses, zoom lenses might be different. I'm sorry I have never taken one apart. Not wishing to get slated by the purists, I dont think the odd small spec of dust will affect your pictures, Damage to the outer surface coatings by fingerprints is far more troublesome.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2002, 11:05 AM   #5

Default Dust within the lens elements

I found these posts quite interesting. I just bought a FinePix 2800 with a piece of white lint BETWEEN the lens elements. This MUST be from manufacture, as the elements are sealed. I have never seen this in a 35mm camera in 40 years of photgraphy (or even heard of it happening before). It does NOT harm the pictures from what I can see (at least at 2M/Fine which is my max). I emailed Fuji, but they said mail the camera in. I don't want it tampered with or replaced, as it works perfectly. The first 2800 I bought (this one I got in exchange) had chromatic abberation in the top left corner, and this one does not, so I don't want it replaced. I'll live with it, as it seems just a "cosmetic" blemish and unsightly, not photgraphically significant.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:58 PM   #6

For anyone who might have read my post above...the white spot has vanished from within the lens !!! I must now assume it was some chemical that dissipated with time. Maybe a dessicant? I'm not familiar with lens production, but it would make sense if dessicants ( like silicagel) were used in manufacture to eliminate moisture between the lens elements during assembly. If anyone out there has the technical knowledge to respond, it would be interesting to know if this is a possibility.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 6:38 PM   #7

The dust in the lens is a known issue with the S602. The leading theory is that air is sucked in when the lens extends. Of course, other cameras also have extending lenses but don't seem to have the same problem. It has also been suggested that dirt might get in when the flash is up (you can see light from the LCD through the space at the back of the flash). Some people think that using the tube adapter and a filter over the lens prevents the problem.

Here are a couple threads:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3786142
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3800513
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 11:24 AM   #8

There should be no possible way for dust to find it's way BETWEEN lens elements after lens assembly is completed. It HAS to happen on the assembly line. The elements are set into recesses in the lens mount, or are in a separate sliding/rotating assembly between the front and rear elements. If dust COULD get in after asembly, then so could moisture, which would make the lens useless. I have taken 35mm lenses apart when they have become damaged, and CANNOT see how anything could possibly get past the front or rear element into the inner recesses of the lens after assembly. I still feel my guess is the best yet for what I experienced with my FinePix 2800 (dessicant). If it were dust it would not dissipate within 2 months.