Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 1, 2004, 6:10 AM   #1

I have the opportunity to purchase a used S602 at good price.
I read specification and reviews, and appear excellent camera, but:

- Has this camera any "bug" or problem that obviously only know users?
- I ussually will use this camera for a sport, viewfinder freeze or blank during autofocus o in burst mode?

Thanks
mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:09 PM   #2

mayo wrote:
Quote:
I have the opportunity to purchase a used S602 at good price.
I read specification and reviews, and appear excellent camera, but:

- Has this camera any "bug" or problem that obviously only know users?
- I ussually will use this camera for a sport, viewfinder freeze or blank during autofocus o in burst mode?

Thanks
I'm a proud owner of an S602Z.

No bugs that I've encountered in the past 1.5 years that I've owned it, although I use Smartmedia cards and haven't tried Compactflash cards---yet.

As for viewfinder, it doesn't go blank, but there's a temporary "freeze" at every shot taken in burst mode so you can follow the action, but it takes a little getting used to.

For burst modes: there are 4.

The 1st will take 5 shots at any resolution and at any mode setting.

The 2nd will take 3 shots, 1st at regular exposure, 2nd at underexposure, 3rd at overexposure. The EV steps of 1/3, 2/3, and 1 can be set for this feature. This will only work at Program, Aperture, Shutter, and Manual mode.

The 3rd will take up to 25 shots, with only the last 5 pics saved when you release the shutter. This is at any resolution and at any mode setting.

The 4th will take 40 shots and record them. This only works in Auto mode and at the 1 meg resolution.

With these features, I think you'll be able to capture a great shot!
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 7:26 PM   #3

Hi,I have owned a Fuji 602zoom for the past 12 months.I have been very happy with it to date.The only thing I have noticed is the batteries go flat when left in camera. John.

cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 9:50 PM   #4

I think all batteries will go flat eventually in most digital cameras because most of them keep time and date settings and that requires a steady power source.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 5:14 AM   #5
Baz

It all depends on how fast the batteries go flat when left in the camera.

I have a 602 & have no problem, but it is a known problem. J Kirk of Australia is an expert on the 602 & has dealt with this problem, maybe on this forum, or elsewhere.

He states that freshly charged NiMH should last about 3 months in the camera without use. If it is less than 1 or 2 weeks, then there is a camera problem.

It can be caused by wear on the inside coating of the battery door by a battery contact. This causes a 110ohm shortof one battery (the bottom right one).

The fix is quite simple, and is fully explained with pictures on J Kirk's site.

You'll find the site with a google search for "single cell shorting". Include the quotes.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 11:10 AM   #6

Thanks, so much

mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:55 AM   #7

Thanks guys. The S602 is definitely a CLASSIC camera and can hold it's own against any other .. EVEN now !! It is still sought after and it's only real "upgrade", the S20 Pro is WAY over-priced. Yeah, there's a few quirks as explained at www.digsys.com.au/s602/s602.html , but nothing that's life threatening :-)
Even thought there IS a small delay in EVF update during burst mode, it is NOTHING as bad as the FZ10's and M410R's or many other cams. I use the "2 eye open" method and have framed many 100's even 1,000's of shots near perfect. Refer www.pbase.com/digsys/ in the motorcross sections to see many examples. It is very FAST and produces stunning A4 prints. You will NOT be disappointed, especially at the prices you can get one for.
JKirk
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 2:00 PM   #8

Ihave owned the S601 since fall of 2002. Have only used with Smart Media cards though. Would like to try Compact Flash with it; anyone know of any problems using Compact Flash?
ronath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
anyone know of any problems using Compact Flash?
There are no know issues, but I'd stay away from the Sandisks etc. They have just had TOO many problems with TOO many other models. Check out http://www.propassion.nl/finepix/ for Fuji user reports on CF. It doesn't list the S601 specifically, but its a familly thing :-)
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:40 AM   #10

JerryF and Baz (July 3, 2004) are right, but they didn't mention that rechargeable batteries have internal power leakage. They can go flat just lying on the shelf. They start good andmay hold a charge for years, but get worse as they are used. Overcharging is the main cause of deterioration, and the lower-end "automatic" chargers just belt in a full timed charge whether the batteries need it or not. Switch it off when the batteries get warm and they'll last a lot longer.The manufacturers spec usually doesn't mention self-discharge, but one that did suggested that 3 months to fully discharged was acceptable - it really depends on you when you throw them away.
johnpawson is offline   Reply With Quote