Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 5, 2004, 4:41 PM   #1

Hey,

I used to have a fuji fine pix 3800 and it was a great camera, I took over 25,000 pictures and worked great. How ever, it was short on its features and I really needed somthing better. How ever, I droped it a few weeks ago and the telephoto zoom is shot, and its going to cost more then the camera to get it fixed.

I work mostly with reptiles, so I need really good macro and diffrent features for close up's. I also deal with seanery shots, birds, and other wild animals which is why I like the 10x zoom. I also like the large shot burst since I also am working on strikeing pictures which you have to get the snake to strike at the camera and snap it inless then a sec.

How is the macro zoom on this camera? Will it be good for what I am doing? How about the out door shots? Also I used a friends camera, I forgot the model but looks like the s5000. He can manualy focus it with a focus ringe on the end of the lines. Does this camera have this?

Also, what is "super macro" is if for farther macro shots or closeer? And are there any better cameras in my price range? ($400 max, maybe $450). I also am really pleased with the XD flash cards.

Any how,

Thanks for any help.

junglereptiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2004, 8:46 PM   #2

The S5000 does not have the manual focus ring, although it does have a manual focus feature. It's not the easiest manual focus to use, however, and it's not real quick, but it does work. I have an S5000 and I really like it a lot, it takes very good pictures for the money. The one you saw that looks a lot like it might have been the S7000, which has twice the resolution and I think it may have a focus ring, but I can't remember off the top of my head. I know it does have several features the S5000 doesn't. Your best bet would be to go a store that has both and just fiddle around with each one to figure out which one you like best, although, if you are looking for a focus ring with manual focus, you'll need to look at something besides the S5000.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:22 PM   #3

All right thanks! I am actully looking more at the s7000 now, I like the features it has and it has a focus ring plus super macro. How ever, it only has 6 x zoom but you can put a 1.5x zoom linse on it. Does this mean that it will make it 7.5x? How does that work? How good does thoes zoom adaptors work?

Any how,

Thanks allot!
junglereptiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 4:35 PM   #4

Hi, I also have the S5000 and I think it is a great camera. The only things I could complain about is the fact that it does not have custom white balance,the manual focus ring and a shutter release cable, but I can live with that.

Regarding your question about the lens, as fas as I know, if you put a 1.5X lens in front of a 6X lens, the result will be 9X (6 x 1.5 = 9), not 7.5X.

Regards,

Fabio.
fabiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 4:57 PM   #5

Ah,

I almost forgot. The www.s5000.net website has a section about the s7000 camera. There you will find many owners and you can have more acurate answers.

Fabio.
fabiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 10:41 PM   #6

As far as zoom adaptors go, don't buy something that's inexpensive, i.e. the forty to sixty dollar ones on eBay. Most all of those are made for the resolution of a camcorder, so the optics in a lot of them aren't up to snuff for even the S5000. I have a Sony 2Xthat I occasionally use onmy S5000, and unless conditions are just about perfect, it doesn't look all that great, even though it works fabulously on my Sony MVD-FD91, which it was made for. The Sony isn't even quite a full megapixel resolution, though, so you can't see the lens' weaknesses with the FD91 because of the smaller resolution. The telephoto lens adaptors that I've seen reccomended the most are the Olympus (TCON, if I remember right), the actual Fuji one, and the Raynox one that's made for the Fuji.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 11:12 PM   #7

Try looking at the Kyocera M410R

Steve
StevePn is offline   Reply With Quote