Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:57 PM   #1

When I open Fuji FinePix, my RAW files are approx. 12MB. I select to convert Raw as TIFF, and push the convert button. After 15-20 seconds, the file is duplicated as TIFF, and is now 35 MB!!! The original RAW image is still there. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software, but that didn't do it. Anyone with this problem or any ideas? Thanks
1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:33 PM   #2

Thats normal. A tiff file is an uncompressed image whereas the RAW is the cameras native recording format which is a much smaller file. Once it is converted to a real image with all the additional data it will be much larger.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 6:13 PM   #3

Fujis S7000 RAW file is only 1MP (1280x960), it's the conversion software that gives it the bigger size. You can see this through ACDSee (3.1 at least). You have to click on the RAW image through the thumbnail browser.
al-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 7:13 PM   #4

The image youre refering to is a thumnail of the raw image. If you go up to file, save as you can actually save that 1280 image as a JPG and it will be a small file but also a small image. When you do an actual convert, it uses the full size image and saves it as a TIFF which is an uncompressed image. You can open the TIFF in most software programs such as PHOTOIMPACT or Photoshop and convert the tiff into a .jpg which is a compressed image and you can choose how you want to compress it.

I really like the 12MP fine camera setting myself and don't use RAW much. It just doesn't give you much more than the 12MP Fine setting of the camera.. (4 MEG file sizes)
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 8:11 PM   #5

Great info. Thanks for the help and quick response.
1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote