Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 25, 2002, 11:02 PM   #11

Hmmmm....

I'm using a Lexar 12X 256MB in my S602 - no problem filling the memory with a VGA size video. (I just tried it to be sure)
marckurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 3:41 PM   #12

eBay may not always be the best source or least expensive. First make sure you don't get caught up in the hype and extras that come with the microdrive, i.e., a travel case, PCMCIA card adapter, etc. and only buy what you need and want...the drive. The S602 to PC USB connection works perfectly so my drive stays in the camera...don't need the travel case or adapter. Also, check the cost of shipping and handling which adds to the cost.

I went to http://shop.store.yahoo.com/digi4me/ibmmicrodrive.html and purchased microdrive with 3-year warranty for $249 including s/h. I'm really happy with my camera and microdrive setup!

But look around for the best deal.
WeekendWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 5:49 PM   #13

I'm using 128Mb Smartmedia in my 602 - no probs with movie mode, except it seems a bit jerky (no image stab.) and therefore not like TV.

I remembered seeing a cautionary note in the 602 manual about using oem CF, so I guess this is the warning.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 6:59 AM   #14

Is there a diffrence between CF and SM write times for photos is the s602? Is smartmedia faster than compactflash?

Don
Fisherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 5:45 PM   #15

There have been links posted on the comparisons. I think it is because, SM doesn't have the buffering on the card like CF, so speed is more defined in the the cam than the memory card architecture.

So given a mixed bucket of SM and CF I'd choose the SM for speed and be less fussy about brand. But if I really needed a card bigger than 128Mb or liked the enclosed package, then I'd carefully choose CF with the benefit of other members recommendations. Alternatively, if I had the money and didn't bounce the cam around much,or thought it would survive a few thousand miles in my diesel car, I'd look at microdrive.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 4:51 PM   #16

Default no problem with SM

I just tried it with my simpletech 64MB CF and experienced same problem. But there is nothing wrong with SM
misina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 2:52 PM   #17

Think that's what I said. It would be helpful if more members posted either the 'it works' or 'it doesn't work' for the S602. From the OEM brand names we might be able to work out which chip make works.

However, browse the cams manual, everything is said about SM and Microdrive, but only a warning and distinct lack of references to CF should give you the message!
Old Dec 11, 2002, 6:50 AM   #18

Default S602 movie mode with compact flash

I have just purchased a Hagiwara 128 MB CF Card (it says produced by Toshiba corporation on the back). Anyway, I have the same problem in movie mode, records for 20secs then have red light and !BUSY warning on screen. Looking through manual it only mentions Smartmedia and CFII (microdrive) compatability. All the reviews I read before purchasing camera said how great it was supporting SM AND CF so it's a bit fruastrating to find that's not quite true. (Incidentally, it seems to work ok for pictures, although is definately slower than SM. I'm going to return the card and swap for SM
benjabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:37 AM   #19

I guess when they said 'Support' - they mean't pics. Cos there's not a lot of inspiring support in the manual. An 'interface' can just be a connector which sort of works mostly and be called supported.

I suppose the storage migration path is really SM-Microdrive, unless you're lucky to find a CF that works. Alternatively, accept the 602 isn't really a movie cam., but make sure multi-shot modes work - that's really useful.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 6:56 AM   #20
NHL

voxmagna got it right

Quote:
There have been links posted on the comparisons. I think it is because, SM doesn't have the buffering on the card like CF, so speed is more defined in the the cam than the memory card architecture.
The camera organizes it's own buffer internally with SM and parse it out to a rate that can readily be accepted by the raw flash cell structure in SM.

CF has a controller internal to the card that does the same job and along with its internal flash structure is rated @ different speeds... 2x,....12x, 16x, 24x etc. Unlike pictures taking, video traffic is not bursty and with the S602 in particular, unusually large continuous video files make some CF flashes choke when they have to switch block/page boundary which require a longer access time. The microdrives doesn't have this problem with sectors (and only 1 platter) hence is rated with a very high sustained write speed! CF Flashes are liberally specd. out with burst speed...

IMO if you have to buy CFs for the larger sizes, the higher speed ones (ie 16x, 24x, etc) usually cost more and you are much better off with a microdrive. As for the bouncy diesel car ride, that's smoothsailing compare to a space shuttle takeoff:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/microdrive.html#space

Another benefit with CF/microdrive is very likely on your next camera upgrade (5M or more). 128Mb capacity is very puny (ie 1 roll of 35mm film) particularly in raw and very likely not SM either!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote