Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 31, 2004, 6:31 PM   #11

Why do you have to format the drive. I have one in my S7000. It works perfect. It was alreadly formated from the factory. I took it out of the box and pop it in the S7k, and it reconized the drive right away.
abarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 6:16 AM   #12

abarth wrote:
Quote:
Why do you have to format the drive.
Because its a 2.2GB card and the camera has a LIMIT of 2GB. Hence it can't use the 2.2GB drive without it being formatted to a smaller size... and even then it may not actually work.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:34 PM   #13

I am actually very pleased to read these comments as I had written to Fuji Support asking them what is the Maximum size of microdrive that can be used in the s7000. Their reply was

"...The S7000 will only support the FAT12/16 format used in partitions under 2GB. To go above this would require FAT32, which the camera does not support. We therefore advise using Microdrives and CompactFlash cards no larger than 1GB in size.."

I shall be buying one shortly. Thank you.
TheSpur8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 6:19 PM   #14

Fuji replies to an email? Geezee... wonders will never cease.

Quote:
We therefore advise using Microdrives and CompactFlash cards no larger than 1GB in size..
:roll:no larger than 1GB, even though it supports up to 2GB....
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:16 PM   #15
Administrator

Guys... I'll admit to being a little ignorant on microdrives (I've never owned one).

But, is there some reason that you couldn't simply delete the existing partition, and recreate one that's within the 2GB maximum (leaving the remainder of the disk unpartitioned)?

Fdisk can easily do this on non-microdrive disks. Is there something that prevents you from doing this on a microdrive?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:18 PM   #16
NHL

JimC

The MagicStor came pre-format by the factory as FAT-16, ie 2G max, so it will on all cameras. You can format it again in the camera, no problem since it's still FAT-16. The 2G and under Hitachi's Microdrives are also shipped that way (only their 4G are shipped as FAT-32 configured).

The only problem is when someone try to format this drive (or the Hitachi) to FAT-32 to get the full 2.2G is when you run into trouble because the FAT-16 cameras won't recognize the drive anymore...
As long as you format the drive (with the PC) back to FAT-16 the MagicStor will work with all cameras again including FAT-32 capable cameras.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:41 PM   #17
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
JimC

The MagicStor came pre-format by the factory as FAT-16, ie 2G max, so it will on all cameras. You can format it again in the camera, no problem since it's still FAT-16. The 2G and under Hitachi's Microdrives are also shipped that way (only their 4G are shipped as FAT-32 configured).

The only problem is when someone try to format this drive (or the Hitachi) to FAT-32 to get the full 2.2G is when you run into trouble because the FAT-16 cameras won't recognize the drive anymore...
As long as you format the drive (with the PC) back to FAT-16 the MagicStor will work with all cameras again including FAT-32 capable cameras.
That would make sense (that they'd want the most compatibility possible, and ship it with a 2GB partition, formatted as FAT16).

But, the original poster did say (in a later post), that his camera would not format it.

I did some digging around the forums, and it looks like there have been users of this drive with a number of problems getting it to work. So, they may be shipping some one way, and some another way.

From what I've found out, users are sometimes using 64kb cluster sizes with FAT16 now (even though FAT16 is only *supposed* to support a maximum cluster size of 32kb). So, this would allow 4GB FAT16 partitions (if your camera will work with them). I found some users reporting being able to get DiMAGE 7 series cameras to work this way (able to see a 4GB partition on a Hitachi Microdrive,formatted with a 64kb cluster size with FAT16).

Apparently, Windows (and orMagicstor) is doing something strange with some of these drives.

I found a post from an S7000 user that said that when he used a 3rd party partition manager to examine the partitions of a Magicstor 2.2GB drive formatted as FAT16, it reallyhad 4 partitions (Windows onlyreportedonepartition). He had previously tried to format it using a variety of cluster sizes with both XP and Win 2000 machines.

He finally got it working when he used the 3rd party partition manager to delete the existing 4 partitions, then he recreated one 2GB Partition and formatting it as FAT16.

He used this product to see the *real" partitions, delete them, and recreate the single 2GB partition:

http://www.7tools.com/pm/index.htm

Personally, I'd just use Fdisk.exe with an earlier version of Windows to delete any existing partitions, and recreate one 2GB partition, then format it using a 32kb cluster size (which earlier versions of format should do anyway with FAT16 to get2GB). That is, if Fdisk can see the hidden partitions. If not, I'd try a few freeware type partition managers b4 spending $29.00 (I'm cheap). ;-)

But, I probably wouldn't trust the Magicstor drives anyway. I founda variety of problems reported with them (intermittent write failures, intermittent card detection errors, etc.). Although, some users reported they worked in the S7000.

Some other forum users seem to think one of the problems (even if you can get around the partition/format issues you may have in some cameras) is that they draw too much current.

I also found posts fromSteve recommending avoiding them:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=24489&forum_id=37

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=27095&forum_id=52

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=25524&forum_id=52

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote