Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 22, 2002, 5:03 PM   #1

Default S602-Pixel doubling, does it work?

Hi all, I have always been suspicious of any electronic method to enhance resolution beyond the native chip sensor capability. Today I shot a series of identical pics on tripod of detailed foliage and trees at all the 602's image settings. At 300X mag. the native fine 2048x1536 3Mpix looked the sharpest. 6M pix Higher interpolated modes displayed blurred macro blocks at boundary edges, but acually, no more detail. I applied post edit sharpening to all, thinking the 6M interpolated pics might come out better. They didn't seem to! On a pc monitor magnified to 300X I couldn't see any benefit using the 6Mpix modes. So I'm wondering if any body else has done similar comparisons and found the 6Mpix mode to come out better.

[Edited on 9-22-2002 by voxmagna]
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2002, 5:14 AM   #2

Funny that!
The first thing I did with my new S602 was take comparison shots of my front garden!

I took photo's in all modes/resolutions, printed them all to A4 size glossy Epson Paper using my Epson Photo 750 after careful head aligning etc etc.

The results were surprising and my comments are as follows:

VGA: Pretty good considering. Perfect for internet posting etc.

1m: Two settings perfectly good enough for day-to-day photos to store on CD.

3m: Consequentially better as the mode is increased from N to F.

6m: (Basic setting) Why?

6m: (Normal and Fine) Can't see difference on printout to 3m versions.

6m: (Tiff) Erm, I suppose useful for work, the print house I work for need Tiff files. Otherwise I wouldn't use it ever!

Conclusion:

Settled on using 3m for most things. 6m seems to be a waste of disk space even though I use a Microdrive at 1gb. Seems pointless to waste the space.

Fuji...what is the point of 6m Basic mode???

Any comments?
Digimonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 8:28 AM   #3

Digimon - Glad we reach similar conclusions. So, are there any members who *disagree* that the S602z is really only a very good 3 Mpix cam then? One more chance, I remembered my test were done in auto with all apertures coming out at f3.6. I'll repeat the same shots at f8 - just in case the lens aperture is a resolution limiting factor - which I doubt 'cos I compared the centre of the image areas.

[Edited on 9-25-2002 by voxmagna]
Old Sep 25, 2002, 8:33 AM   #4

Adjitkat..... I looked at the comparisons with the Cannon G2. My argument is that if these tests had been done at 3 Mpix fine instead of 6 Mpix the Fuji result would have been better!!

Incidentally, some of the magnified images for the Fuji are shown at slightly higher mag than the Cannon, -reviewers license?

Having said this, I think the 602 has excellent sensitivity options, noise performance and features to give great pictures - resolution isn't everything, but I wish Fuji would'nt sell on a resolution claim which offers no apparent advantage.

Old Sep 30, 2002, 2:39 PM   #5

Hi All, well I was hoping from my first post I might be proved wrong!

So it seems then, that nobody can say they find using up more flash and processing power in the 602 at 6Mpix, produces better pictures than at 3.2Mpix 'fine' then?

So we should ignore the hype, pay less and it's native pixel spec that's important, not electronic trickery!
Old Oct 1, 2002, 3:36 AM   #6

I can only reply by saying this:

The Fuji S602 is a great 3.1 megapixel camera.

Period.
Digimonster is offline   Reply With Quote