Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 23, 2004, 4:24 PM   #1

I'm confused, I've tried snapping pictures in 2/3 & 6MP mode on my S5000, but when I open the files in PS, they're all 72dpi. I have to resize the heck out of them, as they come up like 22x21in. Even if I shrink them down, the print out on my EX-50 look absolutly horrible. I'm not blaing the camera, I know it's my doing. But, how doI set the camera to take pics in 300 dpi?

thanks

*EDIT*

I searched the fourm and found info about DPI & printing. But, I'm slightly confused still. I changed the image property in Photoshop from 72 to 200, and the print quality goes way up when I print on my Sony EX-50. But... if I print directly from the XD card, the output isn't that good. I even took my XD card to Ritz and printed a 4x6 with them. It came out better then at my home, but still was grainy.

Is changing the setting in PhotoShop advisable or what?

quebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 6:14 PM   #2

When you manage and print images with Photoshop the software "improves" the quality of the printed image because it translates the image to a higher resolution of the printer. Printing directly from the memory card will never be as good as from image editing software.
drewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 11:08 PM   #3

drewson wrote:
Quote:
When you manage and print images with Photoshop the software "improves" the quality of the printed image because it translates the image to a higher resolution of the printer. Printing directly from the memory card will never be as good as from image editing software.

I understand that, but straight from the camera the images look horrible. On my W1, using Picbridge to print, they came out looking very sharp. but with my S500 unless I unsample the DPI in photoshop, they come out looking like something from a 10 dollar web cam, that was out of focus. if I had a scanner I'd scan an image before/after. it's night and day.

Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:39 AM   #4
Administrator

IMO, you're "barking up the wrong tree"

The DPI flag in the image header should have nothing to do with the quality of the prints, and you should not need to resample anything for your 4x6's. It's just a flag that some image editors use to determine how to display it.

You want to send the full resolution photo to the printer. You should only need to upsample an image for very large prints, not downsample it for smaller ones.

If you are getting poor quality, "grainy" images when printing straight from the camera, then something is most likelywrong with the photos from the camera.

It sounds like it's probably a camera setting problem. From your description, it sounds like you've got too high of an ISO speed being used, causing noise in the images.

I'd post an unmodified, "straight from the camera" image so users can see what's wrong with it. When you post it here in the forums, the forum software is converting the image (and stripping the EXIF from the image header). So, you'll need to put one on a web site somewhere and post a link to it.

If you don't have space to upload it to, then I'd open a trial account at http://pbase.com (they offer a 30 day free trial, and let you put up to 10mb there -- plenty for a sample image or two).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:38 PM   #5

It sounds like the direct to printer is printing a thumbnail not the full reslution image. I would look closly at the printer manual for resolution of this problem.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:47 PM   #6
Administrator

drewson wrote:
Quote:
It sounds like the direct to printer is printing a thumbnail not the full reslution image. I would look closly at the printer manual for resolution of this problem.
That's possible. I'm not familiar with the Fuji, but some cameras do store a thumbnail. I saw a post from someone a while back, that couldn't figure out why he always got two prints from his memory card. It turned out that the camera was storing both a full resolution image, and a thumbnail.

However, if that were the case, you'd be getting two prints back (since readers commercial printers use, are designed to search the media for any image files). That is, unless the Fuji has a mode like RAW+JPEG -- with the JPEG at a much lower quality, compared to just shooting in straight JPEG mode. If that were the case, then the card readers the printers use would probably skip the RAW file, and use only the JPEG images found on the card.

That's why I suggested he upload an unmodified image, "straight from the camera", to a web site, so we can see what the problem is (resolution, file sizes, camera settings stored in the EXIF, etc.). If there is something wrong with the images, we'll be able to see it.

Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:05 AM   #7

I use the Fuji S5000 and frequently view the contents of the XD flash memory card. The card only stores the image file as selected in the setup of the camera, i.e. RAW or JEPG with different compressions. That is why I believe the issue quebert is having is with the printer and not the camera.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:22 PM   #8
Administrator

drewson wrote:
Quote:
I use the Fuji S5000 and frequently view the contents of the XD flash memory card. The card only stores the image file as selected in the setup of the camera, i.e. RAW or JEPG with different compressions. That is why I believe the issue quebert is having is with the printer and not the camera.
He may be having problems with his printer. However, look at his comments about having them printed elsewhere:

Quote:
I even took my XD card to Ritz and printed a 4x6 with them. It came out better then at my home, but still was grainy.

So, this leads me to believe something else is wrong, too. That's why we need to see samples with EXIF info.

Old Jul 28, 2004, 4:39 PM   #9

I want to thank everyone who replied. Let me clarify.

XD card to Photoshop straight = very blurry. They dohave a very pixilatedlook to them, almost if the resolution was too low.I wouldn't use the word grainy at all tho. I thought it could be an ISO thing, but auto/200/400 do the same thing. Also I have the camera on a tripod, so it can't be a shake thing.

if I change the image properties in Photoshop to 200 DPI, the print looks 100 times better.

it could be a printer issue, I have not thought to try my Epson r200, but my EX-50 prints them beautifully when I knock up the DPI, not exactly sure why I have to do this to get a good result.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 10:25 AM   #10

Your problem could be the "default" DPI setting in PhotoShop. An imported image from a digital camera does not have a DPI factor, it is just a bunch of pixels. Photoshop must assign a DPI if the image is to be printed. I believe that your current default DPI setting in Photoshop is 75 DPI which renders images correct for web sites not for printing. If you set your default DPI to 200 - 300 your printed images will always be sharp.