Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 4, 2004, 6:14 PM   #1

I am inpatiently waiting for word from the first people to buy this camera on the quality of both the pictures and video. I would also love to see a review of it. I haven't been very impressed with the pictures on the various offical Fujifilm websites, but I noticed that the pictures are all of the interpolated 12MP instead of the 6MP. With the F700 camera which also had this new super CCD, I found that I MUCH prefered the 3MP pictures over the 6MP pictures (and Steve came to that same conclusion).

On a different forum someone stated that B&H had the camera in stock, but when I checked they show out of stock. Let us know if anyone see anymore info / pictures/ videos on this camera. The two websites I have seen are:

http://home.fujifilm.com/products/di...550/index.html
and
http://www.finepix.com/lineup/sample.html

The new F810 (not to be released in the USA - boo hiss) may have the same lense and it's pictures look a little better to me.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2004, 8:46 AM   #2

The specs on the E550 are interesting; it may prove to a good travel camera. What matters to me is whether or not the camera will have good shutter response (low lag time).

I'm not one to use RAW images and 6 MP is overkill for a P&S camera, IMO. I'm certain the E510 will outsell the E550, FWIW.
jpmccormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 1:33 PM   #3

The specs in E550 are very good.

- New image processor (more ISO levels etc.)
If the noise levels are lower than in old models this is a very hot camera.

- Very good video mode
- Quite good portability
- Good flash
- Lens addons

Sample photos?!!
I just checked Fujifilm's samples and they looks super!
F810 looks someway better. But hard to say, cos pictures are from different situations.
mc_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:53 PM   #4

Well, I own the Fuji E-550 and am very pleased with it. I also did a review of the digital camera for www.pricegrabber.com.

It is not perfect, but it has many very desirable features, it is well priced and offers great digital photo output.

Give me an email address and I will send a link to a gallery of photos from the Fuji E-550, if you would like.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 4:07 PM   #5

mc_cool wrote:
Quote:
Sample photos?!!
I just checked Fujifilm's samples and they looks super!
F810 looks someway better. But hard to say, cos pictures are from different situations.
The video samples from early users of the F810 were surprisingly pretty horrendous. There was a lot of discussion about this.

Since the F810 is the E550 twin brother, I'm worried the same video quality will be apparent.

Does anyone have clips of video from their E550?.......
dr150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:22 AM   #6

Steve posted his review of this camera. I am not at all impressed with either the 12mp or the 6mp pictures. Oh well. This camera had looked so good on paper, but I will just have to wait for something better to come along.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 4:02 PM   #7

Beverly W wrote:
Quote:
Steve posted his review of this camera. I am not at all impressed with either the 12mp or the 6mp pictures. Oh well. This camera had looked so good on paper, but I will just have to wait for something better to come along.
Here's some more pics of the Fuji E550 and F810. If you look at the grass picture details towards the ledt side of the picture, it looks rather muddy/soft. The background details also don't look too sharp. Noise is kept well under control though and the colors look good.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2...1/date005b.htm

I'm am more impressed with the Panasonic FX7 pictures. Comapre them and you'll see more detail in the pics. More sharpness.

BTW, its younger brother, the Panny FX5 beat out all cameras in a 12 camera shoot-out in the August ed. of the UK mag "Digital Camera Shopper" (now a B&N). Such other cameras it beat out were the Sony p93, Minolta G600, Fuji F710, Olympus C-60, Pentax, Ricoh, etc. All these cameras were 5-6MP range except the 4MP Panny. It beat out all others in the detail dept. even....thus proving once again that the higher MP rating doesn't mean better quality.

If the FX5 is this good, then this month's upcoming Panny FX7 must be markedly better with the upgraded Venus 2 engine (already drawing raves on its bigger zoom cameras) and other refinements like it's Optical Image Stabilizer system--not available on any P&S camera. This system DEFINITELY helps with sharpness of pics in lower light pic taking--no question about that!

Take a look here:
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...7_2/index.html
dr150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:54 PM   #8

Please do send me a gallery of pics made with the E-550

Thanks
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:54 PM   #9

Please do send me a gallery of pics made with the E-550

Thanks
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 10:27 PM   #10

My Photos

This is my E550 photo album. I only have 1 picture there right now, but hope to add more later. I am very happy with the functionality of the camera and picture quality. I use 6MP, as the interpolation reduces quality IMO. The video quality is supurb for a P&S digital. Very good coloring and sharpness. The sound is good as well. The only time the compression is noticable is during panning, so it's not to big of a deal.

I was comparing this camera against the Canon A95, and from what I saw online, I like the Fuji's pictures better, and the Fuji has a much better interface IMO.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote