Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 30, 2002, 3:35 AM   #11

Mc.. In UK your consumer rights are with the dealer. I assume you are claiming the cam is faulty and not fit for purpose.

Fuji publish their website address in their handbooks together with warranty claim and service info.

I'm sorry you have not succeeded, it seems down to bad luck as there are a number of more happy S602z owners who post on this Forum.

PS if you can see the DCIM directory which is the root on the card, your system appears to be not reading the file structure - or is bombing out 'cos it's not what it expects.

Reading (as opposed to writing to the registry) does not screw anything up. Incidentally, reading a flash card in a printer might be slow if it's processing output to render as hard copy. I can move or copy 50 Megs of files off my flash in what seems like about 30 secs!

Flash cards are formatted 16Bit FAT as opposed to 32 for modern HD's. Win 98 doesn't care, but don't know if XP needs to be told. Drive info might reveal what format XP thinks the removable drive is.

From Explorer try giving your card in cam a volume name, if you can't write to it or read from it, then it sounds like a card format issue. I presume you've tried erasing everything on the card and reformatting it IN THE CAM with good bats?

Sorry to hear you will be leaving the Fuji section.

[Edited on 9-30-2002 by voxmagna]

[Edited on 9-30-2002 by voxmagna]
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 9:35 AM   #12

Default reply

OK guys, I took it next door to my neighbours PC running XP and it installed and ran perfectly!!! the camera/media/drivers/cable/batts are therefore all good.
I have tried it in every USB connection on my PC & no luck.
Contacted fuji and they have no idea either.

HELP ME
mcbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 10:47 AM   #13

Mc.... You need a pc fixer! Uninstall the Fuji software completely.

If you've got any software that sets up remote drives (what's this printer/reader you've got registered?), plugin drives, etc disable it.

This anti-virus SW you've got? What does it do when another drive pops up during install? Try temporarily disabling all AV before plugging in the cam - you're not going to catch anything from your cam files but exif metadata! Perhaps the AV software needs to be re-scanned after the cam is connected, before you can download anything.

Check system for any errors in the drives area (yellow exclamations in 98). If it's a compaq you've got, give up now!

If you plug in the cam (without the Fuji driver) is it recognised as a remote drive under a generic name? if OK check cam downloads. If OK you may have to remove the generic driver before then trying to re-install the Fuji driver. I'd power down and re-boot before connecting the cam. If it works, put stuff back, one at a time and recheck the cam link.

Don't think Fuji would give much help on the pc side. Users could have many different configs with potential for programme conflict.
Old Oct 1, 2002, 8:37 AM   #14
kyb

If you have a mainboard with a VIA Chipset, you might try to install the usb filter driver from VIA. My scanner wasn't working until I did install it. It's a bit tricky to find on their website. I can't post the link because i've forgotten it, but try www.viaarena.com. Be sure to follow the instructions by the word, otherwise it won't work (that means you first have to uninstall ALL usb devices, reboot, install filter driver, reboot, then try to install your software). reboots are necessary, even with XP. Hope it works, did for me...
kyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2002, 3:48 AM   #15

Default reply

Hi thanks for that advice but I am really not to sure if I have VIA or not. I run an ASUS CUSL2 motherboard but I am damned if I know what the chipset is?

I will try it anhow I think.

Here goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 19, 2002, 5:24 PM   #16

mcbutler...sorry to hear you are still having probs, thought as you were quiet you'd cracked it! I think you now know it's not your cam but something pcwise.

A flash card reader/writer is pretty usb cam like and very useful. They appear as 'remote drives' just like your cam. They're not expensive and well worth it. Have you tried to install one on your usb port?

Just a thought, but if you need to sort out a motherboard/Bios/USB issue, you might get more help from ASUS if you're talking to them about 'remote drive' functionality on USB, rather than digicams.

I helped another member with remote drive USB problems, which were sorted after he checked and did a BIOS update.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 8:12 PM   #17

Mcbutler: I'm convinced XP doesn't like usb. I've had problems with various usb devices on my XP pro. You most likely need to do a regedit to really resolve the issue. Check out the microsoft knowledgebase. As long as you backup the registry before you make any changes, you can always restore it if you mess anything up.
Aside from that, XP has a nice system restore, that basically lets you restore the OS to a previous time when all was well. Then after you've done that, you could try reinstalling the drivers.

Vox has it right, though, about using the card reader. They're sweet.
goboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 7:52 PM   #18

Hello,

Forget about opening FinePix viewer...leave it closed. Turn the camera off, plug it into the USB and turn it on. If the computer hangs, try disabling NAV for the duration of this experiment, ***reboot*** and try again (make sure NAV stays disabled--it usually tries to re-enable itself on reboot).

If the computer still hangs despite the fact that you connected the USB cable when the camera was off, NAV was disabled, and you didn't run FinePix Viewer, you do not have a camera problem...you have an XP problem. Something's wrong with plug'n'play. Make sure the BIOS is set to a plug'n'play OS and all the stuff you would normally do in that situation...just recognize that it has nothing to do with the camera.

Also, once you get the camera working and you're able to transfer images, make sure you ALWAYS use the eject hardware thingy in the system tray and THEN turn off the camera before unplugging it. If you don't follow these steps each time, it'll work the first few times you do it but you'll eventually confuse Microsoft's fragile OS and you'll start having problems like you're having now (this isn't how you got into this situation, is it?).

sev
sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 7:49 AM   #19

Default reply

Hi guys, sorry about being so long between replies, I work away from home.
Bought a card reader to try but XP hangs just the same when I use that which is a little bit weird!
Can i ask you what 'NAV' is please? is this part of the fuji software?

Thanks

Mark
Old Oct 31, 2002, 3:29 PM   #20

NAV is "Norton AntiVirus".

If you've tried all my suggestions and nothing's worked yet, go to the windows update site (open IE, hit Tools -> Windows Update). Get all the latest updates, the service pack, etc. Get ALL of the critical and recommended. The optional updates will have languages and things you don't need, but look through there, there are sometimes useful things in there too.

If this doesn't work, then try backing up all your data on the machine, and blow it completely off. Format the hard drive and reinstall XP. Go back to the update site and apply all those updates and service packs immediately before you install any apps. Then reinstall all your apps and restore your data.

Microsoft OSes have a problem called "OS degradation". Because all applications use the same data store, the registry, any corruption in that data store is long-lived and can impact things months later. Programs configure themselves according to the registry, so when the registry is confused they get confused and the problem continued to compound until everything breaks down. You might be witnessing the beginning of that breakdown.

If you have more than one hard drive, you can copy all your data onto the second drive so you can blow off and reinstall the first. When I set up XP on my machine, I put the OS and apps on C, and I have all my data on D. So I can blow it off any time, and I do so about every 3 to 6 months depending on how its doing. Make sure you get your Outlook email files--those are in your PST files most likely on C, unless you moved them.

sev
sever is offline   Reply With Quote