Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 1, 2002, 3:37 PM   #21

Default reply

Hi Sev

Already tried all that my friend. The camera was also the first and only item I connected to the PC but it still caused the freeze.
I am wondering if my version of XP is installing the mass storage driver as it should but I have no way of telling.
Saying that My canon MV 550I digital Video camera connects and downloads video and stills with no problem at all.
Weirder and weirder, makes an interesting doorstop though which is all its currently good for!

Regards

Mark
mcbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2002, 5:15 PM   #22

Well, all I can say is you have to make sure that you've got your BIOS set up properly. You sound like you know what you're doing for the most part, so I won't belabor the point, but make sure you don't change anything in your BIOS without noting the original setting. That way if the machine freezes on boot you can always go back in and change the settings back one at a time until it does boot.

In particular, make sure you note the hard drive settings in the IDE menu (if you have IDE). Most BIOSes nowadays will automatically configure IDE drives when you hit autodetect, so that's a good way to reconfigure several settings at once, which is bad if you're not prepared for it and you didn't already note the previous numbers. Nothing sucks more than having to dig your hard drive out of the case because you nixed a bunch of settings in the BIOS and you don't remember what kind of drive you have in there. If you know the make and model, though, I think that info should be available on the manufacturer's web site as well as the label on the drive itself.

So here's what I'm thinking. If it is a BIOS problem, it could be either the "Plug'n'Play OS" setting. For Windows XP you typically want this set to Yes, but since it's not working out too well for you, try No and see what happens when that's the only change you make. If nothing is different, reboot and immediately change it back to Yes. Check any settings in the BIOS concerning USB stuff, and twiddle with those. Next check the IDE settings for the HDs and make sure they're all correct. Since you're effectively adding a drive when you plug the camera in, a bad setting in there could be causing the problem. For instance, I had a friend who had a similar problem because he only had one HD, but in his BIOS he had all four settings configured. So the BIOS thought he had four drives installed, the most you can have for a single EIDE channel. When he tried to plug another one in, even though it was through the USB, apparently that particular BIOS did something screwy and would lock up. As soon as he set the drives that didn't exist to 0, everything was fine.

If none of this has any positive impact, you might try getting the latest BIOS update and flashing it into EEPROM. This should be on the BIOS maker's website. Just make sure you know doubly well what you're doing...if you flash the wrong BIOS on your machine, the machine is literally a doorstop. But the BIOS update may fix this problem you're having or add configuration settings that allow you to fix it.

Before you do any of this stuff, you can also go to Microsoft's knowledge base and do a search for problems. Try searching for "USB freeze", "USB lockup". "USB device lockup", "digital camera", "USB digital camera", etc. Based on the number of hits you get back, modify the search phrase...if you're getting thousands of articles back, then narrow it. Also, go to the camera manufacturer's site and search for known problems. Also try contacting them directly on the help line--if it is a problem related to the camera, you can't be the only guy experiencing this problem. Apparently you can update the internal software of most digicams, though I've never done it.

If reinstalling the OS didn't work and you can't find anything in the knowledge base or the camera manufacturer's site, then I would be almost certain that it's either a BIOS problem or a hardware problem. My dad builds custom computers for a living, and I can't tell you how many times he burns in hardware and discovers it's defective, particulary with RAM though that doesn't sound like it's the case here. Anyway, could be the bus, could be the USB port. Try switching the digital camera to a different USB port on the computer. Hardware is not likely your problem, though, if you're saying that your camcorder works fine on the same physical USB port.

Hopefully I've given you some ideas about how to approach this problem. If none of this stuff pans out for you, then it could very well be the digicam itself. The manufacturer should be willing to take care of you, especially if it's still under warranty and doubly so if you recently purchased it. If they're unwilling to switch cameras for you, then let me know and I'll tell you how to pull the old switcheroo.

sev
sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2002, 8:16 PM   #23

Ah! so mcbutler has dvcam software installed in his pc as well as trying to run the Fuji. Might be tempting fate to expect both to co-exist nicely together!

I wouldn't start worrying about registries yet, it's got to be a last resort.

I think I'd get a copy of Partition Magic and install 'Boot Magic', This can create a fresh partition big enough to re-load the same or different operating systems and a couple of apps. as a second (or 3rd) C drive. Your original C drive remains invisible, whilst the new virtual C drive and OS is booted. You can delete the new partition at any time, to restore your pc to its previous state.

Try Win98SE if you've got it or Win2K. Or go the whole hog with a second install of XP. Your original OS and apps will be safe, but you can now boot from a clean install, knowing there are no conflicting apps or registry problems. I Run 98SE and a virtually app' less Win2K on the same drive for testing.

If this doesn't work, you're probably looking at hardware/motherboard/BIOS/USB issues.

If your cam and software now works, then you have to decide what to do about your existing OS and possible application conflicts or registry problems.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2002, 3:11 PM   #24

Yes, that's actually a very good point. It might not be the camera or the OS at all--it could be a conflicting app. But I think you said earlier that you tried wiping everything, installing just the OS and the digicam app, and you tried it then and it still froze. That would definitely rule out any kind of application conflicts...

sev
Old Nov 6, 2002, 1:45 PM   #25

Default reply

Yes your right Sev.

This is getting very confusing indeed. I have talked to my MB manufacturer (ASUS) they cannot help, Fuji just shrugged there shoulders in bewilderment!! so I think I am stuck with buying a new PC unfortunately.
I will leave this post runing and maybe some wizard will notice it and take pity on me

Thankyou for your help Sev, I appreciate it very much.

Kind regards

Mark
Old Nov 6, 2002, 3:59 PM   #26

Well, that's a very extreme solution indeed. I don't know that I would take it that far--99% of the time there's a problem that can be fixed without such drastic measures.

If you haven't tried flashing the BIOS with the latest updates, that's a definite fix to try. I would also go through the new BIOS and look at every single setting for possible impact on hard disks, USB, and Plug'n'Play management. Also, make sure you've got every single recommended and critical update from the Windows Update Site (IE, Tools -> Windows Update). Some of those you have to install separately from each other, so I usually have to go back to the site about 10 times and keep checking the little boxes to get them all.

Having said all that, if you have other reasons to buy a new PC and you're thinking about getting one anyway, I have a great contact that you'll definitely want to investigate. It's a small company in the midwest that designs and builds custom PCs around your usage--you don't need to know anything about computers, just what you're doing with it. Or, you can specify this video card, that motherboard, etc...nothing's off the table, every PC is custom. This business keeps prices absolutely rock-bottom, so they keep very little inventory, have no web site to maintain, etc. No refurbished parts (unless that's what you want for some reason), all new, all backed 100% by manufacturer warranties. Since there's no inventory dictating what parts they have to move, every PC is built with an eye towards total throughput and speed of the system.

I love working with this place because it's a small business and they really take care of you. You have to wait a tad longer for it to be custom-built, but the PCs I've looked at over there have always been higher quality, faster, and cheaper than the equivalent Dell or Gateway. I'm a software developer by trade, so I have some very specific ideas and very specific requirements for my PC, and the only way I could meet those with a Dell was to buy their top of the line $3500 server model. Instead, I left out the stuff I didn't want to pay for and bought from this small midwest operation...my total cost was only $1200 and this system is nearly as fast as the $3500 Dell for my purposes.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll forward you the contact information on this company. Being in software I've had to stay on the cutting edge...I used to have to buy a new PC every year to 18 months. The first one I kept for 3 years and I'll probably keep the one I've got now even longer.

sev
Old Nov 17, 2002, 6:56 PM   #27

Default Reply

Hey Sev,

Well guess what, I discovered my copy of XP was a pirate! They certainly fooled me. Anyhow thats another story.
I have ordered a genuine copy of XP home 2002. I will install it as soon as it arrives, early this week I hope and we will see what happens.
Thanks for your offer on the PC's but I am in the UK and P&P to the states spoils any price I can get there, I know as I have tried before.
Oh and guess what? My wife gave birth to my daughter today beautiful, my first child we are calling her Katia as she is half Russian (My Wife).
Watch this space for further camera updates.

Kind Regards and thanks again.

Mark....
Old Nov 18, 2002, 5:23 AM   #28

Oh, yea, shipping to the UK would be a deal breaker. I hope you didn't pay for that pirate copy of XP the first go-round or you got the second one for free, ya?

Congratulations on the baby girl...she's got a really pretty name. I'm sure she'll be the subject of quite a number of forthcoming pictures. Remember, babies are most agreeable for a photo session in the morning once they've got a full belly.

sev
Old Nov 18, 2002, 9:56 AM   #29

Congrats also.

I remember suggesting you try installing a second OS, Win98SE in a second partition? This is cheaper than a pc! So if XP is not compatible in some way, at least you can still download your cam files.

My USB works fine and there are no serious updates for Win98. Like Sev. says though, if this doesn't work it's likely to be BIOS/motherboard related.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 1:55 PM   #30

Default reply & Thanks

XP Home is in and it works fine, however there is a little bit of a conflict with my creative driver which slows it down a lot once its installed. Solution is don't install it and it is fine.
My little girl is fine and I spend many happy hours emptying her 'Dung Hampers' of yellow stuff
Her name is Russian as is her Mum (Ukrainian) means Katarina, Katie etc. I will tell Maria you like it and she will be made up.

Thanks again for all your help guys, a long road but at last I am there. Now I can buy that Microdrive I wanted, or maybe more dung hampers instead

Bye for now

Many Thanks

Mark