Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 27, 2002, 5:05 PM   #1

Default S602 Installation

Hi All

I cannot get my 602 installed no matter what I do.
I have followed the installation guide to the letter, reinstalled the drivers etc about 12 times but it will not work. I even borrowed a driver disk from another owner in case mine was defective but no luck.
I run Win XP Pro on a system with more than enough resources to meet the minimum requirements stated by Canon in the installation guide.
What happens is this;
Software installed, camera plugged in, camera turned on, PC hangs within a few seconds. Finepix viewer makes no attempt to start even though autostart is enabled.
I can find no mention of the Mass Storage Device in device manager either.
Another point of note is it seems to have killed my antivirus in norton utilities 2002.
Do I like this camera? what do you think.

If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful but please not anything in the manual as I can assure you I have studied it closely many times.

Many thanks everyone

Mark (UK)
mcbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2002, 6:51 PM   #2

Hi Mark,

I didn't start this way, my Fuji cable is still in its box and the Fuji software is pretty basic, ACDSee knocks spots off it as a viewer and Fuji craftily don't provide an editor- only a link to your own!

The first thing I did was bought a usb card reader, mine's a Feiya 5 in 1 so handles smart/compact flash and microdrive think it cost about 28. It's fast and saves connections to camera. If downloading from cam you would eventually need a mains power unit anyway (about 27) so why not buy a card reader and use it for moving those cam files (and anything else) to other pc's?

Most download probs arise from usb port issues so make sure that's working ok with scanners etc first.

The dry bats which came with the cam are cr*p! If you've been taking pics and now you're downloading using these (the lcd is permanently on as soon as you plug in the usb cable (really naf eh!) ,then the alkaline bats are unlikely to last! I bought 1800mA NiMh rechargeables straight away.

Lateral thinking - hope this helps - voxmagna (UK)

[Edited on 9-27-2002 by voxmagna]

[Edited on 9-28-2002 by voxmagna]
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2002, 2:21 AM   #3

Default reply

Hi,

Yes tried most of that, running panasonic 2000mah NiMh fully charged, think the prob must be USB related. Might try a powered hub to boost it through. Got a card reader on my printer so I will give it a go, good thinking there batman

Thanks again

Mark
Old Sep 28, 2002, 6:49 AM   #4

Mc... look at these very recent postings about Fuji software and XP. The Fuji package really isn't worth the effort. Others can download and do a better job if cam downloading is what you want.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...ad.php?tid=532
Old Sep 28, 2002, 6:56 AM   #5

Default reply

Thankyou for the help, can you recommend a software package or point me to one I can download?
Old Sep 28, 2002, 3:13 PM   #6

mc... I don't download from the cam -find it messy, batteries discharge, need to plug in mains psu etc.

Adobe photoshop 7 is good, popular but pricey. I like Ulead PhotoImpact 7 (on offer at Dabs 'cos version 8 is now out). I like the 'smart' auto correct tools and the exif camera data is kept on edited saves. Sharpening is a bit fierce though.

ACDsee 4 is a bit underestimated, it's a nice viewer, quick and has a bolt on basic editor and nice sharpening and auto features. Exifer is free and is a surprisingly nice viewer ( I notice it also comes in the Ulead package). 'JpegCrop' is a free lossless image cropper. I would search the web and download the trials and see which editor/viewers you like - it's really down to personal preference.
Old Sep 28, 2002, 3:18 PM   #7

I recently bought a 2800Z which came with the Finepix Software "EX2.0". The software manual shows the code BL00087-200(1) on the front cover and FGS-103109-FG on the back. Page 11, dealing with preparations for installation, has an opening panel with the prominent message "Do not connect your camera to your PC until the software installation is completed."

I can't be sure, of course, because I don't have your camera but it doesn't seem likely that Fuji are using different setup procedures for different cameras in their range. No disrespect but are you sure your manual says you should have the camera connected and switched on while running "Setup"? Why don't you run Setup with the camera disconnected, shutdown, connect the camera, reboot and then switch the camera on. On my machine I get a ping, an icon appears in the System Tray and XP reports detection of a USB device when I do this.

I'm a camera novice but an experienced computer user. Many PNP devices can be connected while the drivers are installed but some PCI RAID cards, for instance require you to install drivers before you bring the device into full operation.
joegib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2002, 10:44 AM   #8

Default reply

sorry I must have typed the original description a bit vaguely. It is after the software install that I am connecting the camera as it says in the manual but thanks for the reply anyway. At the moment the only snag is that the computer will not recoignise it at all! If I could only find a contact number for Fudgeit (ooops I mean Fuji) I would give them a call. Either that or an address I could send the camera back to!!!
Old Sep 29, 2002, 12:53 PM   #9

mc... So, here's the biz. The cam merely looks like a USB removable storage device on your pc. So, go into Explorer, look at the drives listed, plug in the usb lead to your cam and switch it on to first click.

3 things should happen. The zoom doesn't extend. After a few secs(I'm on Win98SE) a removable drive with the next asigned drive letter should appear in Explorer. Then the cam lcd lights up with a yellow bar at the top (mucho meelyamps).

Since it looks like another drive, you should be able to move files out of the card from the cam (until the bats run out!). The Fuji software should just provide a usb driver, nothing more. It may linkautomatically to the software when you open it, but firstly it must look like a removable drive.

I suspect XP is so clever it might even recognise the cam as a listed usb plug and play device without the fuji software.

So things to try:

Have you got a spare drive letter available which is not assigned? I asume you've not partitioned your HD C to Z

Have you got or can borrow a card reader which does come up as a removable drive in Explorer?

In Win 98 I can search the registry for Fujifilm, and in Hkeylocal machine/software there is an entry under Fujifilm for usb driver 3.0.0.6.

Sending cams back should be a last resort (It is new, so it just might come back worse after a long wait, replacement option always best -but check replacement carefully)

Personally, I would find a soul with another pc and try to get the usb talking on that first. Make 100% sure it's not a pc problem. I'm not on XP so others on the Forum might have some more ideas.
Old Sep 29, 2002, 6:54 PM   #10

Default reply

I have done what you suggested and I do get a pretty picture of a finepix popping up in explorer as a removable drive but the lamp on the back of the camera remains green, no yellow bits. I am on fully charged 2000Mah batts.
I double click the finepix drive icon and DCIM appears. Clicking this causes the PC to hang immediately.
Hdd is not partitioned, I can read the cards in my HP Photo Printer but it is painfully slow believe me.
I do not know enough about registrys to mess with them, I run my business from this PC so no errors allowed.
XP was clean installed today with the finepix being the first driver installed, still don't work.
I would really like a contact number for Fuji so I can get rid asap I have pretty much had enough of it.