Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:14 PM   #1

In the past, Fuji produced 2Mp cameras that produced excellent 4Mp interpolated images and 3Mp cameras that produced excellent 6Mp images. Why then did their 6Mp interpolated to 12Mp images from such as the F610 turn out to be such a disapointment owing to high noise levels?

I now see that they have produced a new 6Mp camera (the E550) that produces 12Mp images with, as they say, greatly improved noise levels. The F610 has been on sale in the UK for long time but almost no test images are avialable on the Internet. None of the major review sites have produced test images and those that have been made available show less thanacceptable noise levels.

The E550 is about to go on sale in the UK in a few days but there arestill no test images available on the Internet. One must ask why! If the results are so good, why are Fuji keeping us in the dark about the quality of the images. With these cameras about to be released, can I ask that new buyers share with us the quality of results asap.

Best regards

Stan (cash burning hole in pocket where small, high rescamera should be)

stan ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2004, 2:19 PM   #2
a2b

yes i am looking to find any views on this new range they look great with 4mp and 5 mp models also the wide angle of these is great only the new ricih gx and the canon s60 i think are the only other pocket cameras ive seen, also need info on the new fuji 810 if any owners of these modelshave news, ithink the big new thihg is going to be big lcd and wide zoom on must have new model pocket cameras.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 8:42 PM   #3

Samples from all the new E and F Fujifilm cameras are posted on this page: http://www.finepix.com/lineup/sample.html

There is a discussion thread on the E550 here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9732518

IMO, the E550 suffers from aslow lens at the long end of its zoom (f/5.6 is widest) and the inability to take exposures longer than 3 seconds. Image quality of the Fuji interpolated CCD has been of dubious value in past cameras, so I'm not holding out any great hopes for these. Time will tell....

jpmccormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 6:00 AM   #4

Thanks to JPMcC for the helpful input and the URL for Fuji's test images.Sadly they are all closeups & portraitswhich I findmakes resolution a little difficult to judge.

Thanks too for pointing out the long & detailed discussion on dpreviewparticularly comparing the E550 with the F810 which has a verysimilar specification.

I guess we will still have to wait for someone to buy one and help the rest of us by posting some 6Mp and 12Mp images.

Stan

stan ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 7:20 PM   #5

I also am interested in getting some 6MP pictures from this camera. There is a very long thread over at dpreview calls E550 Talk that quite a few 12mp still shots and three movies. Not all of the links within that thread seem to work for me. I can't log on at that site (never can get a password) so I can't ask them for 6MP pictures vs 12 mp. Here is a link to that thread.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9952080
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 1:12 PM   #6

I have a S5000 model and I find that about 75% of the time if I take two shots (one at 3.2MP and one at 6MP) that I'll like the 3.2MP image better. Theoretically there should be more information in the larger shot, so it has to be something with the way the CCD interpolates things. Having said that, I don't know where I'd ever use an image as large as the 12MP ones that some of the Fuji cameras can interpolate at. My thought would be to get as large a natural (not interpolated) image as you can afford, even if it means saving your money for another month before you buy your camera. My experience has been that you will be happier most of the time if you just save up and wait until you can afford to get what you really want, rather than settling for the next best thing. This is a hard thing to do for me, as I tend to be impulsive.:-)

I haven't seen the new Fujis, but I am very, very happy with my S5000 and I would definitely buy it again.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 8:55 PM   #7

Guitar Man,

I have an S7000. I have taken 12MP files and then resampled them to 6MP using Photo Impact. The images look great and noiseless. I am wondering if the same thing would apply to the S5000. If you take the same image and 3 and 6MP and then resample the 6MP down to 3mp, which will be the better image. My quess would be the 6MP that was resampled down. I almost always take 12MP because of this. I only resampled them down to 6MP to see the difference but your printer would be doing the same thing when it uses a large image it downsamples it to fit the photo your printing. That being the case, unless your squeezed for space, the larger image is the better choice. Just a thought from what I have seen.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:10 PM   #8

look at this http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2...01/drev010.htm

a lot of good images. seems to me that 12mpx looks much better then native 6mpx.
eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:57 PM   #9

eyed
The saga continues. The 12MP images give you more info and better pictures. The negative critics look at the camera as a 12MP Native Camera and view the images at 100%. Fuji tells you its a 6MP camera and the interpol is just to gives some extra info to allow you to print larger images and it does just that. At 100% any interpol image that is doubled in size is going to have a lot of noise, however its not visiable at 6MP and won't show on normal prints. When a printer prints a 12MP image it resamples it to whatever size it needs to, to make the size of print your outputing. I have 8X10 all over the walls from my S7000 and they are tack sharp. I have the capability on my printer to make posters from multiple sheets. I printed a four sheet version just to see how the images looked. (about 16X20) and it turned out great, even up close. I have taken images from the 8MP Sony side by side and resampled the 12MP to 8MP just to see the difference and the Fuji images were clearer and had better color.

I think you either love Fuji or Hate them. You either understand their logic and appreciate what they are trying to do, or you get frustrated trying to understand what they are trying to accomplish. I guess that is why there are so many camera out there because the consumers are so diverse in what they look at. I looked for months and owned a lot of different cameras before winding up with the Fuji. I had a Kodak, Canon G5, Minolta 7i then 7HI and now the S7000. I read many reviews, I participated in a lot of discussions and finally just purchased a camera. Now I wonder what I missed by not waiting a little while longer to make a discission. Something better was just around the bend every time I looked. I know what I would have missed now. The great photo opportunities I have had and the experience I have gained just getting out and taking so pictures of some memorable moments and learning a lot more about photography by messing with my camera settings.

Go out and get your hands on the cameras, see what feels good, try it before you buy it or buy it from a company that will allow you to return it if you not satified with the pictures. Have fun!
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:41 AM   #10

Hi! Glad to see you posting. The E550 has a 6.3 MP non interpolated image from a new generation (IV)HR sensor (12 MP interpolated available). From the postings at dpreview.....
Fuji finally allows ISO 80 on a Super CCD camera!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10165150

The E550 seems to perform very well indeed. Having a 32.5 to 130 mm lens on board with adaptors for wide and tele is a big plus, even with a (typically) slow tele end. RAW capability with all of the above and with an excellent compliment of manual options, and a 2" LCD for an incredible under $350 price, puts this camera in a leaque all by itself IMHO.

dcresource will be testing it shortly. A test of the less capable E510 already appears with a very very positive comment about the E550.

http://www.dcresource.com already has a picture gallery from the E550. Be careful..as the E510 is also there...'simpler' non superCCD...fewer controls etc.

jimr is offline   Reply With Quote