Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 28, 2004, 9:30 AM   #1

I am new to digital photography. I bought a S3000z about a month ago and am enjoyingthe resultsimmensly. My question is, are the Tele conversion TL-FX9 or the Wide conversion WL-FX9 worth the extra money. In Australia I am looking in excess of $200 each. I can probably afford one, WHICH ONE?
bourkedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:24 AM   #2

hiya dave

i have the same camera and i have got a raynox 1850 pro telephoto lens which cost me around $320 (NZ), but you will need a step down ring from the 55-52 for it to fit, but its brings the zoom up to bout 420mm etc

for all of there lenses to suit the lil s3000 check out this site

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digi...3800/index.htm

Grant
picnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:38 PM   #3

Hey Dave

I am a proud owner of Fuji S7000. When I bought my camera I faced the same question (which accessories to get with it). There area lot of choices. I belive my camera uses the same wide and tele photo addons as yours (55mm tread, right?). Anyways, stay away from cheap and high quality-sounding brands, like Digital Optics, Optika, Pro Back, Titanium and so on available on ebay. Go with more famious brands like Fuji, Olympus, some Raynox lenses are great, some are not so great. If you decide to go with wide-angle, don't go for anything more than .50 (50% wide), because you will have a lot of vignetti (round corners on the resulting photographs, due to the shape of the lens). I would recommended sticking with .79 that Fuji offers. I bought my on ebay for only $69 (from a guy that didn't need it and it was flawless.) Not sure that I would buy it for $200. Check out Olympus lenses also - they are great. In fact, what I have heard is that their telephoto lens is better than Fuji (even thought it doesn't look as good as Fuji). It goes by TCon 17 online. Check out this section of S5000 forum for discussion on all the accessories that you might need.

http://www.s5000.net/forums/yaBB/cgi...rd=accessories

As to which one to buy, wideor tele, it is up to you. Depends on what kind of photography you do. If you need an ability to capture objects closely with beingfurtheraway, then go with Telephoto. Personally, my 6Xzoom on my S7000 is enough for me. I bought wide angle lens because I like the ability to come closer to people or objects and fit more on the screen, especially during big family events or parties where there is not enough space and you have to back away too far and the faces are small. Again, up to you. If Iwere you, I would look at my options, read a lot of reviews, do a search on this forum for wide angle and tele photo and I am sureyouwillfind a lot of useful information.Thanks and good luck. Hope this helps.
Val
fujifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 3:42 PM   #4

G'Day Picnet and Fujifan,

Thanks for your advice, I have checked out your recommeded websites and find them helpful. Also that $200 figure for the lenses was Aussie dollars which is probably around $150 U.S. I'm probably more inclined to the telephoto as I live on the coast and take quite a few shots of my boys surfing. The Raynox brand I'm not familiar with, do they have a good reputation? Also Picnet did you buy the lens in Kiwi or did you have to order it from overseas?

Dave B.
bourkedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:43 PM   #5

i brought it in kiwiland dave, i just rang around first and asked them who basically was the supplier for raynox and they gave me the directions then brought it right off the shop floor
picnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 1:27 AM   #6

About the stepdown ring.... Raynox actually makes a ring that fits the 49mm threads on the Fuji cameras that has a 52mm thread on the front, it's their model #RT5249. I got mine for about 15 bucks from a Raynox dealer on Ebay. If you have this ring you don't need to use the plastic ring that comes with the S3000/5000/7000, you can use this instead and the add on lenses will fit right on with no stepdown ring required. This ring is aluminum instead of plastic as well, so it's very sturdy, I highly reccomend it.

I second the advice about going for an actual Fuji, or a Raynox or Olympus lens. I have a Sony 2X converter that I got for my older Sony FD91, and it works fabulous with the Sony cam, but the Fuji is so much more resolution that you can really see the shortcomings of the Sony Lens. It's not that the Sony lens is crap, really, it's that it's actually made to go on a camcorder, which is a lot less resolution than the average digicam. Most all the lesser expensive lenses you see advertised on eBay (opteka, digital, etc.) are made for camcorders instead of digital cameras, so you will have varied luck. I've had a few photos come out ok with my Sony lens, but I can really tell it's not up to par with what the camera is capable of. I'm going to end up getting either the Raynox 2020 or the Fuji or Olympus lens not far down the road.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote