Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 31, 2004, 8:51 AM   #1

I am now choosing between the Fuji s7000 and the Nikon 5700, after changing what I was going to get for about the fifth time now, lol.

Anyway, I'm pretty familiar with the "specs" of each camera and the minor pros and cons of each.

I was wondering if anyone had any personal opinions about image quality or certain quirks of either camera, everyone's advice has been extremely helpful in my other posts and as usual would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,

Craig
Hyoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:07 AM   #2

Well you're talking about two fairly different cameras. The S7000 uses the super CCD which works "so-so" regarding the 12MP claimed resolution. The Nikon's images are known to be a little noisy, but then again, so are the S7000s due to the high compression it uses... etc etc.

Both of them are solid and built a little better than the standard digicam these days, so personally for me it might be a matter of handling preference. Do you prefer the LCD and way you "cusp" the Nikon when holding it, or prefer the more "DSL-like" handling of the S7000? The Fuji does use AA batteries, so if you're traveling and run out of Ni-MH juice, you can in a pinch use alkaline batteries. You can't do this with the Nikon, which uses proprietary batteries.

Look up close at the sample images here on Steves site from each camera. If one or the other doesn't sway you, then it's a matter of handling preference and maybe power requirements.

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 2:43 PM   #3

atlantagreg wrote:
Quote:
Well you're talking about two fairly different cameras. The S7000 uses the super CCD which works "so-so" regarding the 12MP claimed resolution. The Nikon's images are known to be a little noisy, but then again, so are the S7000s due to the high compression it uses... etc etc.
Hello

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth of an opinion. I don't know enough about Nikon camera that you are talking about, but I do own S7000 and like it a lot. Sense you did a lot of research, I hope you know everything about each one of the cameras. The only thing I will refer to in the above statement by atlantagreg is the part about 12MP claimed resolution being "so-so". Check out this link on this forum to find out how to properly compare resolutions and you will see why 12MP is not so-so but very useful in most situations. I always resample to 6Mp image to see how good the photo is because this is the native format of this camera. 12MP is Super CCD interpolation and it serves great purpose - capturing more details then with just 6MP. Here is a link, I know it is long, read through it and see the comparison shoots, you will be glad you got this camera. Good luck.

Val

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...tion+Questions
fujifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 4:46 PM   #4

Thanx for the help fuji fan and Atlantagreg.

Fujifan... just wondering what you use your camera for most of the time and what size and the visual quality of the prints you out put.

little background on the Nikon:

5mp, cmyk ccd, better RAW format than Fuji, 8x zoom.

Those are thedifferences between the two that are having me lean toward the Nikon. The big thing that would sway me back to the Fuji is seeing if the image quality(the 12mp downsampled to 6mp)itself is better.

Craig

Hyoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:12 PM   #5

If you going to be shooting any low light shots indoors, I would steer clear of the 5700. It has poor low light shooting capabilities and often cannot lock in properly. I have found the S7000 does a good job in low light. Even when its fairly dark and it says it cannot focus, the flash shots are almost always right on.

Nikon does have an excellent reputuation for Macro shots if you going to be doing a lot of those types of pictures. Also in normal daylight it will also shoot good images. There are also some good new cameras to look at. Fuji has the new 5100 which looks promising. Kodak has the new 7590 with a 10X zoom and 5MP which is in the same price range. Sony just announced their new 7MP along with Casio
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:54 AM   #6

I use my Fuji for everyday shooting, mostly people (friends and family) and outdoors (nature). I do print excellent 8x10 prints at home and snapfish.com, but I am sure that I coulddoup to16x20 if I liked (at least when I take 12MP file and resample down, the shoots look good on the screen). I never use RAW, just don't find it neccessary to go through the trouble. As to the zoom, 6x is enough for me. I would agree with host that S7000 has an almost perfect focusing in a very low light conditions. And the build-in flash is VERY powerful compared to the other cameras out there (from what I read on different forums). I do have external flash to go along with that for shooting in big rooms/halls, but I find that in most rooms, build-in flash is enough. So far I have no complains are macro modes (there are two), and it works for me although I must admit that I haven't taken a lot of macto shoots. The good part about Fuji and what most people like is colors. They come out bright and vivid. I am sure that you have seen plenty of shoots. I do have a Fuji side angle lens that I use when taking shoots of big groups like at the weddings or birthday parties and it works well. The specs that you said about Nikon look good, so I wouldn't blame you for going that route. I bet if you were to post this same question in Nikon forum, you would get mostly pro-nikon answers. The price is probably lower for Fuji, so if that matters. Anyways, good luck with whatever you choose. Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:22 AM   #7

Fujifan... given that you chose "fujifan" as your screen name, I would assume that even if Fuji DID come out with a very poor camera, you would defend it as a die-hard Fuji fan. LOL

That being said, I said "so so" about the S7000 images. I do stand by it, and am not the only person who feels Fuji is a little off the ball with the lack of compression settings on the s7000's lower settings, and, the overall 12MP image quality. If you feel the absolute need for me to post links to the reviewers aside from myself who have commented on it, I will do so, but I feel you're smart enough to read up on other reviews as well and understand what they're saying.

I did not say the S7000 is a "bad" camera. It just falls a bit short of what I personally think it's standards should have been. Not by much - but it just seems Fuji could have tweaked those CCD / processing settings just a bit more. I have done prints up to 8x10 and was perfectly happy with the S7000. At 11 x 14 and higher, I was not. My opinion. My idea of a "good" photo may well vary from your own. I've had numerous cameras to compare it to. You may not have this advantage. My sister thinks her old Agfa camera is wonderful - it's a matter of experience and perspective based on exposure to other models.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 7:13 PM   #8

Yes, I am a Fuji fan, but that doesn't mean that I never had any other digital cameras. I owned cameras beginning from Kodak and had to play with my friend's Nikon D100. So please, there is no need to point fingers or trying to put someone down.

I have nothing against Nikon, good name, good cameras, good photographs if you are willing to pay for it! Some shoots that I made with D100 were visibly not as good as my Fuji S7000. So, you judge. A lot of it can be user operation error, or just a chance or something. But I would say that I can figure out between quality of 11x14 or the shot. I must admit I hardly ever print that size so that wouldn't matter to me. Just go with what you like! I am not going to try to persuade you in any direction. Thanks for listening. Have a great weekend.