Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 3, 2004, 6:29 AM   #1

Hello guys,

Please let me know if you could clarify my mind.

I'm not findingany Hoya Circular Polarizer with 55mm diameter here in Brazil... but I found one with 58mm diameter. My camera is a Fuji S5000. The camera's diameter is 55mm with a adapter ring included. I already have a Skylight filter mounted on it.

My question is: Do you think that I couldhave some vignette if I mount a setup ring 55-58mm for using the circular polarizer 58mm? In another words,I would havean adapter ring 55mm + Skylight filter 55mm + setup ring 55-58mm + Circular Polarizer 58mm.

Thanks in advance!

Marcos
thebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2004, 8:14 PM   #2

Normally you'd only have vignetting if you use a step-down ring but not a step up... at least for a filter. I doubt you'd even notice it.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 1:06 PM   #3

thebox wrote:
Quote:
Hello guys,

Please let me know if you could clarify my mind.

I'm not findingany Hoya Circular Polarizer with 55mm diameter here in Brazil... but I found one with 58mm diameter. My camera is a Fuji S5000. The camera's diameter is 55mm with a adapter ring included. I already have a Skylight filter mounted on it.

My question is: Do you think that I couldhave some vignette if I mount a setup ring 55-58mm for using the circular polarizer 58mm? In another words,I would havean adapter ring 55mm + Skylight filter 55mm + setup ring 55-58mm + Circular Polarizer 58mm.

Thanks in advance!

Marcos
Quote:
Actually I would say you are better off stepping up, thebox – this should in your case negate vignette – One tip however (don't use the skylight with a polar filter they sort of counter each other (plus add depth and weight to the front of your camera))
Spe3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:35 PM   #4

This can get tricky... i'm starting to regret having purchased a 55mm-55mm adapter tube, should have went with the b-300 55mm-58mm tube.

The problem with the 55mm-58mm step-up ring is that it puts the filter further from the front of the lens... that can increase your chances of lens flare and having the AF focus on a dirty filter instead of your subject.

Ideally, i'd say a 55mm-58mm tube and 58mm filters. If you don't plan on stacking too many filters or using a hood you'll probably be ok with the step-up ring.
_jd_ is offline   Reply With Quote