Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 3, 2002, 12:00 PM   #1

Default 602 and 13 by 19 inch prints??

Right now i have a 602 with Epson 780 photo printer which does borderless 8.5 by 11. Thinking about getting a Canon S9000 which does 13 by 19 inch prints with a small border. Not sure if i can get decent prints that large with my 602. I have heard other's say they printed 13 by 19 portraits, but i want to be able to print landscape type shots at 13 by 19 if possable. Anybody do that with there 602? If it doesnt look as nice as my 8.5 by 11's then i guess i will wate until someday i have a higher mega pixel camera.
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2002, 6:52 PM   #2

There are a few posts on this Forum about 'stitching' images. The 602 now has its tripod bush under the lens, so this might help. Multiple panoramic shots is the only way I can think to get good res. on a big wide print, you need to go for manual expose though. Haven't tried it on my 602 yet.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2002, 7:02 PM   #3

if you cannot get it out of the camera try genuine fractals it allows you to increase the image size up to about 600% using fractal interpolation there is a free version available to try. it is a PS plug in

http://www.lizardtech.com/solutions/photo/
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 9:09 PM   #4

At 6MP Fine (one step down from 6MP High--makes about 2.5MB images), you can get 72 pixels/inch resolution for a 40" x 30" print. No kidding.

You should have no problem with the sizes you're talking about. If you're worried about it though, that's understandable, but do a test on the equipment you've already got. Just take a 6MP Fine image and crop it down. Going from 8.5" x 11" to 13" x 19", you're talking about a 265% enlargement (area-wise...realize that the aspect ratios are not preserved). That equates to a 163% enlargement in each dimension.

So, to do the test:

Take the same shot at a variety of different resolutions. I would do a 6MP Fine, a 3MP Fine, and a 1MP Fine. Take each image and print it out using your current printer the way you normally would. Then, go into photoshop, open the "Image Size" dialog under the edit menu, and blow up the image by 163% in each dimension. That means you'll be blowing up an 8.5" x 11" shot to 13.855" x 17.93" (this is the closest approximation to the 13" x 19" while preserving the aspect ratio). Once it's blown up, pick some 8.5" x 11" area of the image and crop it down to that. Then, print the image again as you normally would. Using the naked eye and a loupe if you have one, and see if you can detect a difference in quality between the details in the two similar areas.

Also, you'll have to take into account the difference between the printers themselves. Bring your sample prints to the store with you when you go to buy the new printer, and ask to print out the exact same images on the new printer (make sure you preserve the sizes--even though it'll be on bigger paper, you still want 8.5" x 11" images so you can compare apples to apples in the store). If they won't let you do that, then ask if they have any 8.5" x 11" blow ups of a 1MP, 3MP, or 6MP image that's been printed using that printer. If so, compare the quality of that image to the corresponding one you brought with you and see if there's a difference. At 72 pixels/inch, same resolutions printed at the same sizes, the only differences you'll see in quality are due to printer quality alone.

sev
sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 3:05 PM   #5

Yes, my 602z produces the big 6Mpix files, but from an earlier post I made, I've yet to hear anybody on this forum say they can see any difference on magnified screen images between 3Mpix fine and 6Mpix. So the challenge is still there!

Your right about the printer being the limit on quality. I put some posts here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4046
Old Oct 28, 2002, 2:26 AM   #6

Actually, I did that same test. I can easily tell the difference between 3MP and 6MP -- the 3MP (predictably) can only be blown up half as much as the 6.

The thing is, none of this resolution stuff matters unless you're cropping and blowing up (or just blowing up, but being that you can't print a 400" x 300" picture anyway, more likely cropping is going to take place before the blowing up ). If you're talking about just taking pictures and printing them out without any photo-cropping, -chopping, and -shopping, then 3MP Normal or 1MP Fine should be all you need, even for a 13" x 19". I've heard people say that the 1MP rez works up to 8.5" x 11", though 3MP at that size gives the same quality the edges on the images won't "pop"...give that 3d look and feel you get when you look at pro photos in glossy magazines.

Anyway...

sev
Old Oct 28, 2002, 4:44 AM   #7

Sever...I've been making my comparisons on a hi-res monitor, using photo-editor magnified modes.

I eliminate any jiggery pokery smoothing in the printer - so do YOU see a difference between 6Mpix interpolated and 3Mpix non, on screen, when you are comparing identical areas of 2 pics shot at the same time on a tripod?
Old Oct 28, 2002, 4:14 PM   #8

Yes, I see a difference between 6MP and 3MP, but only after I've blown up the image a great deal. This was one of the first tests I did with the camera. The fact of the matter is that everyone's perception is different when it comes to what you consider "high quality". I'm pretty anal about it--I consider an image high quality only if the objects retain three-dimensional edges that seem to "pop" forward. So I was able to zoom on a 6MP Fine image about 4500% before I downgraded it to "mid-quality", and then up to 8500% before I could see pixellation.

Again, though, it depends on the image, and it depends on what kind of calisthenics you are willing to go through. If I was to unleash my entire bag of tricks on a 6MP High image in Lab color, I'll bet you I could blow it up 100 to 150 times before it became pixelated.

sev
[/code]