Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

View Poll Results: Noisier s7000 or Nikon 8700?
s7000 0 0%
Nikon 8700 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 3, 2004, 8:24 PM   #1

Which is noisier?

S7000 or Nikon 8700?
Hyoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:06 AM   #2

I am not sure. I would say that the extra 2 MP is not what should sway your decision. I own S7000 and it is a great camera, works very good for me. It all depends on what you will be doing with the camera. I would say look at the features set of each, strength and weaknesses and then make the decision. Also, consider the price of each camera, I would say that these cameras are in different categories. You should compare this Nikon with Canon Pro1, Sony F828 and DiMAGE A2. Hope this helps a little.
fujifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:05 AM   #3

fujifan wrote:
Quote:
I am not sure. I would say that the extra 2 MP is not what should sway your decision. I own S7000 and it is a great camera, works very good for me. It all depends on what you will be doing with the camera. I would say look at the features set of each, strength and weaknesses and then make the decision. Also, consider the price of each camera, I would say that these cameras are in different categories. You should compare this Nikon with Canon Pro1, Sony F828 and DiMAGE A2. Hope this helps a little.
I think this is similar to what I was going to ask on this forum... your last point, about the categories...Nikon is now offering a $200 rebate on the 8700, which puts it in the $550 ballpark, just a bit more than a S7000.

So, how would the Nikon 8700 compare with the Fuji S7000 from an image quality perspective? I like the flip-out LCD on the Nikon, but have not looked at image quality comparisons. I get worried about the high compression used on the 6MP mode on the Fuji, and I think even at 6 MP I might get better quality out of the Nikon.

If I didn't have the $200 rebate to contend with on the Nikon I would go out and purchase and S7000 tomorrow.

Has anyone compared these two cameras?
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 9:04 PM   #4

At 550.00 (most I have seen at 800-1000 price) on the 8700, it would be the better buy. I am a Fuji S7000 owner and really like the camera; however, if money isn't an object, the 8700 is probably the better buy. The issues you will have with the 8700 are:

High noise at high ISO. The S7000 produces great shots at its best ISO 200 however at ISO 200 on the Nikon, the images will be extremely noisy. However at low ISO on the Nikon they look very good.

Poor autofocus in low light, has a hard time locking in.

Proprietary and expensive battery

Slow shot to shot times. The S7000 has almost no shot to shot delays, however at the higher quality settings on the 8700 you'll have a few seconds delay between shots. I think I can recall 8 seconds. I like the S7000 when you set it to best 5 shots and it bust out 5 frames in a matter of a couple of seconds.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 7:27 AM   #5

Yeah that slow reaction time is causing me to delay getting the 8700. I find the S7000 very noisy (in an audible sense), the af system seems pretty noisy. I have one now, trying it out for a while, it seems to focus well in good light but AF doesn't work nicely at low light.

But I tried an 8700 out, thought the S7000 had much better reaction time which is important to me. So I'm not sure what to do now, there are rumors Fuji may come out with an S7100 soon, I may wait for that, or perhaps move to a Minolta Z3 or Panasonic FZ20 which I've heard is pretty good w/IS.

luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:08 AM   #6

My S7000 is quiet, no noticable focus noise. I can't even tell when its changing focus in continuous mode accept for the fell of the lense changing.

If I were going to go to a 8MP camera, I would consider the Oly 8080. I havent heard anything negative in any reviews on it. It doesn't have the zoom these other two cameras have but it does have converters available. I haven't used on myself but the shots look great and the features appear good.
host is offline   Reply With Quote