Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 4, 2004, 5:59 AM   #1

:?putz, I used to have a Nikon coolpix 4300 and gave me shrap pictures of 300dpi,

now i manage to get an Fuji S7000 of 6 mpixel wich gives me not marvelous pictures

of just 72 dpi. Anyone could tell me anything about it?? How do i get 300dpi resolution on my pictures?????

thanks a lot.
roger_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2004, 9:00 AM   #2
TC3

Your fuji is not a real 6 mp camera. It is 3mp and has some sort of interpolation system i believe. I am a bit confused why you measure digital photos in dpi?
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 12:03 PM   #3

The S7000 is 6.3MP actual recorded pixels. It has a 12MP setting that is interpolated.

I also have a Nikon 2000 (2MP), and it shows 300 DPI. The Fuji always shows 72 DPI. I would like to know why myself..anyone?
1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 12:26 PM   #4

Its a fraud. They both give a certain resolution in pixels. Depending on how big the s/w decides your photo will be, will determine the dpi.

So, for Fuji s/w they set it for screen resolution - thats 72 dpi for XVGA. For Nikon, they set it for best printing, thats 300dpi.

It does nothing to alter the quality of the picture. You are just looking at inappropriate figures.

Be happy with your 7000 - its a true 6mp camera which, after interpolation can equal any 8mp picture (its never 12mp)

alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:49 AM   #5

I have S7000 and indeed it takes all images @ 72 dpi. For the screen purposes, it does not make any different. As to the prints, in my understanding, the printer resizes the dots per inch to the appropriate for your print size. So say you are printing a 6 MP image from Fuji S7000 originally recorded @ 72 dpi. That translates to 39.5" by 29.6" in terms of actual size. If I were to resample to 150 dots per inch, I get 18.9" by 14.24". If I were to resample to 300 dpi, resulting print is9.49" by 7.12". You will never see a different between 200 and 300 dpi, so generally it is recommended to keep your prints no more then 150 dpi per inch. You do not need to do this manually, only if you really want to see what is the maximum nrest print size you can get from a certain resolution. The printer will handle the math and calculations for you. On my S7000 if I want to get a big portraits, like 16x20, I shoot at 12 Mp and then resample down to 150-200 dpi just to see if the image size is acceptable. If you goto print online, like todot photo, theylook at your image resolutionand tell you the maximum size that you can print. Hope this helps in understanding. Correct me if I am wrong.
fujifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:43 PM   #6

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
Your fuji is not a real 6 mp camera. It is 3mp and has some sort of interpolation system i believe. I am a bit confused why you measure digital photos in dpi?
`cos im new on photografy, I just though that 300dpi on print would be better also if i want to send some of my pictures for competition (as amateur ofcourse) this is one of main especification that they ask for. But thank`s a lot any way.

Roger_uk
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:46 PM   #7

alan sh wrote:
Quote:
Its a fraud. They both give a certain resolution in pixels. Depending on how big the s/w decides your photo will be, will determine the dpi.

So, for Fuji s/w they set it for screen resolution - thats 72 dpi for XVGA. For Nikon, they set it for best printing, thats 300dpi.

It does nothing to alter the quality of the picture. You are just looking at inappropriate figures.

Be happy with your 7000 - its a true 6mp camera which, after interpolation can equal any 8mp picture (its never 12mp)

cheers, it`s explain a lot, I understand and see wath you mean...

But is a bit confuse.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:50 PM   #8

fujifan wrote:
Quote:
I have S7000 and indeed it takes all images @ 72 dpi. For the screen purposes, it does not make any different. As to the prints, in my understanding, the printer resizes the dots per inch to the appropriate for your print size. So say you are printing a 6 MP image from Fuji S7000 originally recorded @ 72 dpi. That translates to 39.5" by 29.6" in terms of actual size. If I were to resample to 150 dots per inch, I get 18.9" by 14.24". If I were to resample to 300 dpi, resulting print is9.49" by 7.12". You will never see a different between 200 and 300 dpi, so generally it is recommended to keep your prints no more then 150 dpi per inch. You do not need to do this manually, only if you really want to see what is the maximum nrest print size you can get from a certain resolution. The printer will handle the math and calculations for you. On my S7000 if I want to get a big portraits, like 16x20, I shoot at 12 Mp and then resample down to 150-200 dpi just to see if the image size is acceptable. If you goto print online, like todot photo, theylook at your image resolutionand tell you the maximum size that you can print. Hope this helps in understanding. Correct me if I am wrong.
Im really interested to print out and get the maximum of it, thank`s for the idea, i`ll print and see wath they gonna say about it. i never though i could get any response of my question, thank you all and good photos.:|
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:52 PM   #9

roger_uk wrote:
Quote:
:?putz, I used to have a Nikon coolpix 4300 and gave me shrap pictures of 300dpi,

now i manage to get an Fuji S7000 of 6 mpixel wich gives me not marvelous pictures

of just 72 dpi. Anyone could tell me anything about it?? How do i get 300dpi resolution on my pictures?????

thanks a lot.
Thank you all guys, it`s help me a lot, im very content with the responses.