Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:08 AM   #1

I just purchased the E550 a few days ago and after taking some pictures I'm noticing that a lot of times pictures come out dark even while using the flash. This happens in Auto Mode as well as automatic and in some of the other modes. Is there any settings I can change or anything I can do to help resolve this issue? Most times it happens even while I'm in plenty of light and sometimes happens when I zoom in optically.
khcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2004, 5:02 PM   #2

How far from the subject are you? Have you accidently set flash compensation to minus???
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 5:07 PM   #3

I'm probably about 6-10 feet away from the subject and the flash compensation is actually set on +0 right now. Is the flash compensation something I need to change?
khcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 8:01 PM   #4

You should have no problems. I have no clue. Either a defective unit...or something I've missed. I assume you popped the flash up!!! You've got to push that button to raise the flash. If that doesn't answer the question...call Fuji at 1-800-800 - FUJI
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:11 PM   #5

Same problem here. About 1 in 10 pictures (even of exactly the same scene etc.) come out very dark although the flash does fire (and some flash reflection is seen in the image, so it appears to be coordinated time-wise). Does not matter if the scene has bright areas or not; it will do this even in a purely dark setting with no extraneous lights in the field of view.

Once it gets in this "dark flash" mode it gets stuck; the only way out is to take a picture of some completely different scene or (at least one time) change to a different mode and then back again.

I've lost some candid family pictures this way, because once the moment has passed it is too late to try again.

I experimented today with many dozens of indoor shots; this issue does not seem to depend on the flash mode, camera exposure mode, metering mode, ISO setting, zoom or image size.

I tried with full auto mode and various overrides; it can happen in all modes it seems. Almost as if the flash has a weak power setting sometimes - but then why does it get stuck like that? Batteries were fresh.

Pretty annoying and so far the only real problem I've encountered.
LostFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:48 PM   #6

Are you leaving enough time for the flash to recharge? (don't ask how long - I've no idea on that camera)

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:51 PM   #7

Yes, I wait for the LED to be a steady green again before taking the next picture. I've also waited about half a minute to really make sure(one it was stuck in that dark mode), but it made no difference.

The flash does fire every time, but is either not synchronised with the full exposure or is too weak; the end result is a far too dark picture. It is actually worse than when the flash is not enabled - at least then the exposure would be longer and the scene lighter.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:21 PM   #8

:?

Well... <sheepish grin> I've been able to reproduce the problem by partially covering the sensor on the top right of the camera (as seen from the front). I think that is what I may have been doing - holding the camera such that my left middle finger partially obstructed that sensor. I know, the manual warns against that!

So, next let's see if knowing this I can avoid or further confirm this is indeed the issue.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:43 PM   #9

lol. Well, that would explain things. Please let us know how it goes.

btw, it could also be the metering mode perhaps? Are you shooting with zoom? That will reduce light as well.
Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:08 AM   #10

I was having the same problem in the store, then realized macro was enabled.
f2benny is offline   Reply With Quote