Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 22, 2004, 4:43 PM   #1

Hi,
I recently got S7000 camera while choosing between Olympus C-750 and S7000. Image quality if great except for the noise problem. I am thinking of trying to petition fuji to make a firmware upgrade that fixes ISO limit and adds option to use less compression on jpeg (it is a bit agressive). Anyone thinks it would be worth doing or it is just waste of time. I am thinking if we can collect enough signatures maybe fuji will listen, of course if it is possible to upgrade firmware.

I like everything about this camera except image noise and absense of panorama mode. I can live without panorama.

My other option is to return fuji and wait until something better comes alone in this price range.

Alex
s7000User is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2004, 5:28 PM   #2

Alex, yes same problem with the S5000!... and according to all the post I have now read- Fuji isn't going to fix the problem, even if there is a firmware fix which now seems unlikely.

I've noticed that in some instances the Jpeg compression isn't noticeable (S5000)... maybe it's just me but ifI take a tripod shot with good lighting/various settings- the picture is can be totally acceptable and crisp. I have yet to take a non-tripod picture which came out looking totally clear or clean, mabye some of the compression artifacts are due to an unsteady hand(& not enough light/settings wrong)....... compared to some other cameras I've since tried, the S5000/S7000 seems extremely sensitive to the slightest bit of motion.

I am a brand spanking new to digicams so what I know could fit on the head of a pin.

Bjane
Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 8:11 PM   #3

Perhaps I don't know what I'm looking at, or maybe my S7000 is different than yours, but I just don't see all the "noise" I've heard about for so long. I almost didn't buy the S7000 because of complaints about noise from many reviewers and some users. In the end I relied onpics posted byowners that looked fine to me. When I first got my cam, I only had the16mb Xd that came with it, so I first shot in 3mp, pics looked fine. I bought a 64mb xd and started shooting in 6mp, shots looked fine. Then I upgraded to a 2gb Hitachi microdrive and started shooting in12mp fine soft, the pics look wonderful and I have no complaints. So for me at this point in time, the S7000 performs well and I have not had any noise issues that were apparent to me.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 8:50 PM   #4

Clyde,
I own this camera for about a week. Before I had Sony S75 unit. Anyway, I will post some images that I took in my backyard when I get home. You will see what I am talking about. I am going to do few large prints this weekend to see if they are affected. If they are this camera is going back to the store.

I was able to cleanup a lot of things with noiseware and the difference is very big. Even in image scaled down to 800x600 you can see the difference. You can especially notice if you take picture of blue skies or any other object of an even color like piece of light colored wall or paper.

I am not trying to bash the camera, just expressing my opinion. I like it a lot except image quality in the noise department :sad:. I wish things were different.

I just read Fuji response posted in reply to a petition about S5000 camera and realized that it would be a waste of time for me to start anything. The response was extremely polite "F U and go away". It was interesting to me that S5000 users were told that "if you want extra controls on jpeg features go with S7000". Well, I went with S7000, now what is their excuse?

If anyone has suggestion on how to reduce image noise of S7000 I am happy to hear it.

Thanks,
Alex
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:06 PM   #5

Hi Alex,

I realize that you're just expressing how you feel about the image quality (as far as noise) that you are seeing. Email me at [email protected] and I'll be happy to send you a pic or two that I shot in the last couple of days. They are straight out of the camera other than cropping the image.

Clyde
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:20 PM   #6

One other quick thought, where are you seeing this noise, while viewing at 100% on your monitor screen or in a picture you have printed? If it's on your monitor at 100%, that is not an accurate rendering of what is really there. Try printing some pics and see what your results are. What resolution are you shooting at? Most serious owners I have talked to use 12mp fine soft or RAW. I chatted with a well known cat photographer at a cat show a couple of months ago. He has multiple Dslrs and thousands of dollars of lenses in his kit, his primary back up camera is an S7000. He had nothing but praise for the S7000, calling it one of the most misunderstood (by reviewers and many owners) digital cameras in today's marketplace, a camera capable of awesome shots. With the pro Dslrs and lenses at his disposal, he chose to shoot an entire cat show with the S7000 after his primary Dslr went down. I think that says an awful lot about the S7000s capabilities and the results you can obtain.

Clyde
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:18 PM   #7

Here are crops of sample image at 100% before and after noise removal.

ISO 200, Exposure 1/480, F6.28. I placed it in png so I dont add jpeg artifacts.
This one is before.
Thanks,

Alex

Attached Images

Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:21 PM   #8

This one is after. Sorry I could not figure out how to post 2 images in one post. They are not same exact size but approximatelyfrom the same place of the image. You can clearly see noise in the image above. Original image was 6MP, Normal Sharpening. If anyone interested I can post things at Soft Sharpening. I took picture of a blue sky and a tree at all resolutions short of raw with amost all sharpening modes. Ipersonally find it unacceptable to takephotos in raw mode to geta decent image.If I would compete in contest,maybe, for casualphotos thank you, but no thank you.

Thanks,

Alex

Attached Images

Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:55 PM   #9

Hi Alex,

I have never seen any results coming out of my S7000 that look even remotely like what you are posting. These images you posted look like they have been "cartoonized" with a paint program, what are you doing withyour pics? I don't normally even do any pp, noise removal or otherwise, usually no more than crop the pics. Unless you are doing something radical in your pp, I would suspect a defective camera.

Clyde
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:03 PM   #10

And again as I said last night, 100% viewing on your monitor is completely misleading, not accurate at all. Try printing some pics on a decent printer and see what your results are.

Clyde