Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 25, 2004, 6:04 PM   #1

I'm looking around for flashes to use with my S7000. I have heard about the Vivitar 285HV and Sunpak 383 as good possibilities. Is anyone familar with the Quantaray QTB-7500A auto flash....... sold by Ritz Camera Stores? Also, is anyone using a ring-flash with the S7000? If so........ any recommended brands/models?
mtoolmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:07 PM   #2

Hi,

I too am looking for a suitable flash for my S7000 and Icame across this site answeringsome of the FAQ on the S7000.

http://www.gky.com.au/c/gky?a=da&did...000#1089794902

There are many sections offering info, including a section on flashes that are compatible with the S7000. There are quite a few so there should be something there for all tastes and budgets.

Hope this helps.

Regards Pava

Pava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:03 AM   #3

I am also looking for an external flash for my S7000 and when I went to the store to look around they said that if I use a common external flash it can send a shock into the camera and ruin the camera. They said it doesn't always do this, but that it is somewhat likely. They recommended I buy a Fuji specific flash (which they do not sell).

I am living in China and the brand I was looking at was a Chinese brand, but they were saying this would be possible with any brand of flash, not just this specific brand. By the way, I have tried the flash and it worked fine. I am just concerned that if what they said is true I may have problems in the future.

In researching flashes I found that many brands of flashes are recommended for the Fuji camera, many much more highly than the Fuji brand flash. At the same time I did want to look into this problem.

Have you heard of any such problem? It is quite possible that they are wrong, but it gave me enough of a scare to want to check for any thoughts you may have.

Thank you,
Rob Goll

rgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 9:00 AM   #4

Been using a Vivitar 283 with my S7000 for the last 6 months and it has worked great.
Agrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:38 PM   #5

I am using Sunpak 383 for 6 months with great results. up to 60 feet range with 3 automatic settings. Got it on ebay for $50. Can't beat that price. This camera uses non-dedicated flash with no TTL metering. Otherwise, you should be fine. From my research, like one of the posters earlier said, go with Vivitar 285 or Sunpak 383. Can't make mistake. In my opinion, Sunpak looks better on the camera. Thanks and good luck.
fujifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:42 PM   #6

Agrue,

I would like to use my Vivitar 283 with my S7000, as well but am having difficulty understanding exactly how to set the flash.

I used the flash for years with my old Minolta 35mm SLR. It was easy. The Minolta's flash sync was 1/60th/sec. You selected the color-coded flash range you needed and set the corresponding f/stop.

I would appreciate it if you wouldhelp me get started with myFuji s7000.

Thanks!

russg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:54 PM   #7

Can you help me figure out how to get my Vivitar 283 work with my s7000?

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2006, 2:26 AM   #8

Generic method - easiest

Set camera to MANUAL

Set AUTO aperture on flash that will give you the range (I'm assuming you are familiar with the flash) e.g. set F4 as a good general purpose setting.

Set shutter speed to 1/60

Shoot

You can play with the shutter speed to get different effects I use 1/15 a lot indoors in poor lighting. You can probably go up to 1/1000 and still get sync.

mickey42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:14 PM   #9

Hi,

Go to this link and you will find all the information you need on a flash for the s7000

http://www.gky.com.au/c/gky?a=da&did...000#1089794902

Joe
joelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:08 PM   #10

I set the S7000 on Manual - iso 200, 1/1000th sec @ F4 with Vivitar 283 flash set on the Yellow range (I started at Purple and worked my way to he other end of spectrum = Yellow).

Results are still too washed-out.

I amexperienced at setting the guide# relative to the film speed, "ASA" on the 283 and then changing auto settings per changes in distance/F-stop.

Is there a way to relate ISO to the guide# on the 283.

I am determined to learn how to get the same, if not better results with the 283 asthe built-in flash.

So far, the settings I am using are causing the flash to overwhelm the shot.

Thanks again for your assistance.