Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 10, 2002, 5:54 AM   #1

Default File No.'s on SM cards

1. how can I set the 602z that the file No.
will continiued so whene I format a SM card the cmera will not rest the fike No. to "0".
Many thanks
Israel
israel fenigstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2002, 6:38 AM   #2

You can't. But this is true of most digi-cams. I suppose they could have used date and time which would make each file name unique, but imagine making sense of that in the viewfinder!

Although, there are utilities which can batch rename after transfer to pc. Think of the cam card as 'temporary' storage. Rename uploaded files in pc as soon as possible.

The 602 always names from zero, so if you already have a previously uploaded, but not renamed file in the same directory, your first file may get overwritten!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2002, 10:49 PM   #3

Most PCs set to default settings will not overlay similarly named files, they will prompt you with the fact that the files are the same name and ask you if you wish to overwrite the older one. With the FinePix Viewer, you can set it's own default to date stamp the images (in lieu of numbering) before copying them to your hard disk.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2002, 12:56 AM   #4

a lot if digicams support continuous number sequencing. the info for numbering is kept in nonvolitile memory in the camera so even if you remove the batteries are removed it is held.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2002, 7:56 PM   #5

Fuji 602 doesn't. Worse, if your swapping cards the number sequence always starts 0001 on each erased card. I haven't tried the date stamping option. Actually, in FinePixviewer, there is an option which when set, over-writes files of the same name!

I believe once the pic is shot and stored safely on the card, I need to get a copy on to pc and work on that. When I'm happy the files are OK I delete off the card. I don't do this 'move and auto delete' from card - USB can still be flaky!

Any further changes to files in the cam such as renaming a 100 shots, without first copying, carry a risk. There are a few posts here re broken flash!
Old Oct 28, 2002, 9:56 PM   #6

What is strange about Fuji card numbering is that some of their cameras "continue" and some "restart" the numbering with each card. My FinePix 1300 "continues" with next sequential number, but my FinePix 2800 "restarts" (from 0001).
Old Oct 29, 2002, 4:13 AM   #7

This sounds like subtle firmware differences, unless there is some argument (which I can't think of) for resetting to 0001 on card changes.

I think I'd rather have continuous shot numbering with shot numbers held in NVram. Reset to zero is probably already there in 'reset to factory default'.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 4:32 PM   #8

It always amazes me that Fuji's lowest price point-n-shoot (my FinePix 1300) has firmware features (continuous numbering) that their highest priced point-n-shoot ( my FinePix 2800) doesn't.
Old Nov 30, 2002, 6:21 PM   #9

Default amazes me too.

personally little things like that count.... it's a pain in the butt to have to use utilities to rename files etc. but oh well... i wanted the canon ELPH, and should have waited.... i know better now. but the 2800z is still a good camera overall though.
DigitalArtist71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 5:57 AM   #10

With so many pics coming off a digicam, I rename anyway, just to keep pics organised. I agree cams should allow continuous numbering, unless returned to zero by factory default reset. However, ACDsee batch rename is really quick and easy.