Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:03 PM   #1

Just gotthe S7000 and since we had clear skies I thought I would try and photograph the moon. No matter what i tried, I ended up with just a bright and blurred spot and the camera would not focus (auto or manually) onto the moon.I got the impression that the moon was just too bright for the camera to cope with - surely not !!!

I have had OK results doing the same thing with a film SLR and good results using a digitalOlympus C765.

Anyone got any ideas ?

norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2004, 9:49 PM   #2

Hi Norm,

What you have to do is change your cameras setting on the top dial to SP and choose the landscape mode, with the lens cap on in single auto focus(the middle S-AF button on the side) half press the shutter button, your cam will fail to focus and default to infinity. With the lens cap still on change it to manual focus(MF) on the side. You can then change it on the top dial to M and heres what I got with the S7000. settings were F3.1 and 1/1000 sec shutter speed. You need a fast shutter because although it is at night, the moon is really bright and will be a bright white spot w/ no details if shutter is too slow. This is a cropped handheld shot, so it is not the sharpest. Hope this get you started, take lots of pics in diff settings, a tripod will help alot.
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 4:06 AM   #3

GoCubs,

thanks for responding so quickly with your sugestion.

I only bought the camera yesterday andwas a bit disappointed to find tha it failed my first challenge. Combined with the 50 / 50 ratio of comments that I have found on on the internet concerning the quality of images, i was a bit worriedabout my purchase- so thattrick is reallyhelpful.

I am going to a wildlife centre today to put it through it's paces

cheers norm

norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 8:04 PM   #4

Hey that's pretty cool I got to try that. :-)
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 2:04 PM   #5

You can use the "Sunny 16" rule since the Moon is basically a sunny landscape. Shutter speed 1/ISO at f16. Juggle the shutter speed and aperture as necessary to stay within your camera's limits.

Attached Images

Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 7:21 PM   #6

I too had been trying to photograph the moon with no luck. Thanks a lot! This is just the tip I needed.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 8:53 PM   #7

Well, thanks for the tip. I finally had a clear night and some free time to try it.

Not bad for a first attempt. We've got a lunar eclipse tuesday or Wednesday, so we'll see if it's a clear night.
Attached Images

Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:09 PM   #8

GoCubs wrote:
Quote:
Hi Norm,

What you have to do is change your cameras setting on the top dial to SP and choose the landscape mode, with the lens cap on in single auto focus(the middle S-AF button on the side) half press the shutter button, your cam will fail to focus and default to infinity. With the lens cap still on change it to manual focus(MF) on the side. You can then change it on the top dial to M and heres what I got with the S7000. settings were F3.1 and 1/1000 sec shutter speed. You need a fast shutter because although it is at night, the moon is really bright and will be a bright white spot w/ no details if shutter is too slow. This is a cropped handheld shot, so it is not the sharpest. Hope this get you started, take lots of pics in diff settings, a tripod will help alot.
I have also found out that you should zoom to the desired setting first, zoom all the way out and then procede with the above steps to set focus on infinity, as zooming changes the focus.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 11:05 AM   #9

I found that to be true last night when I was shooting lightning.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:15 PM   #10

Did people get any moon shots? It was clear in Vancouver, but I had other things to do instead of photograph :-(

show em if ya gottem!

SM
sdmackie is offline   Reply With Quote