Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:59 AM   #1

When I purchased my S7000 nearly two months ago I installed a DKE 55mm-55mm adapter tube and Hoya HMC UV filter immediately to protect the lens. Now i'm starting to think 55mm was a mistake as it will inevitably lead to vignetting problems if I want to stack filters and use a hood. I have already experienced some lens flare so the hood appeals to me.

Anyway, i'm unsure as to what my best option would be:

1) 55mm to 55mm adapter tube -> 55mm filters -> 55mm to 58mmstepp-up ring -> 58mm hood.

1) 55mm to 55mm adapter tube -> 55mm filters -> 55mm to 62mmstep-up ring -> 62mm hood.

2) 55mm to 58mm adapter tube ->58mm filters -> 58mm hood

3) 55mm to 58mm adapter tube -> 58mm filters -> 58mm to 62mm step-up ring -> 62mm hood

If I go the route of the step-up ringI understand it's best that it falls after the filters. This minimizes the distance from the lens to the filters, helps to further reduce the chance of lens flare and helps prevent AF from focusing on the filters themselves (fairly harsh lighting for this to occur, but it has happened).

At present, i'm leaning to option #3 or #4.

Thanks for any input you can offer. I've got a thread going to dpreview.com as well but i'm curious if there are any other opinions over here.
_jd_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:31 PM   #2

Hello

I am looking for a lens hood too for my S7000. Why not just buy a lens hood that has 55mm mounting thread? That is what I am planning on using. And you can still have your filters on and no vignettee problems. I might be missing something. Please explain. Thanks.

Val
fujifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:58 PM   #3

You probably could thread a 55mm hood onto the S7000... but it wouldn't really serve any purpose as the hood wouldn't be long enough to block stray light once the lens extends. That is what you're missing.

With the S7000 you attach an adapter tube(see links below). You then mount filters, lensesand hoods to the tube. Most people go with the 55mm-55mmtube, as didI, but the catchis that you riskvignetting issueswhen stacking multiplefiltersor with most hoods (hoods designed for use with 28mm equivalent lenses seem to be the better bet).

Vignetting can be avoided/minimizedby havinga larger thread diameter in front of the lens... that should give enough clearancewhen multiple filters and a hood are installed. I'm just not sure what the better option is, 58mm or 62mm. Using a step-up ring with the 55mm tube isn't the ideal solution as it extends the distance from the lens to the filter... lens flarecan still occureven with the hood.If I go with the 58mm tube I could use either 58mm filters/hood or use a62mm step-up ring, filters and hood. There is no 55mm-62mm tube for the Fuji cameras.

http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/a...tubesfuji.aspx

or

http://www.b-300.com/fuji.html

Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:59 AM   #4

Thanks for your response. I guess I am still missing something. I understand vignette concept. What if I only plan on using UV filter to protect the lens? I do not need to use multiple filters! I will mount the adapter tube, then filter on top (that will not interfere with the lens), and then 55mm hood on top of the filter. Here is something that I am considering getting from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...25734&rd=1

It even includes a 55mm cap. This comment of yours doesn't make sense to me: "You probably could thread a 55mm hood onto the S7000... but it wouldn't really serve any purpose as the hood wouldn't be long enough to block stray light once the lens extends. That is what you're missing." If I use different diameter hood, what would that help? Are they longer? Let me know. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for your time.

Val
Old Oct 5, 2004, 1:53 PM   #5

You would not have any vignetting issues using the standard 55mm tube and UV filter - I can stack two 55mm filters without experiencing any vignetting. I'm not confident that you'll escape vignetting with a 55m hood tho... it's kind ofhit or miss unless the hood is specifically designed for use with 28mm equivalent lenses (such as the lens of S7000). Most people who want to use a hood with the 55mm tube purchase a 55mm-58mm step-up ring and a 58mm hood (typically the Sony hood for the F828). This gives a little extra clearance to avoid vignetting.

In regards to my comment that you did not understand. At the base of the S7000 lens in front of the manual zoom ring there is a 55mm femalethread... this is where the adapter tube screws into. Both the tube and hood have male threads, so you *could* mount the hoodto the camera withoutthe use of an adapter. My point is that while this can be done, the hood will not protrude far enough past the lens to actually sheild it from stray light - that is the purpose of the hood.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:32 PM   #6

Why would anyone in their right mind mount the hood directly to the camera without the use of the adapter? Of course, it is not going to shield it from stray light - the lens is retractable, and the hood will not be long enough. Common sense.

I still don't get it why would I experience vignetting effect if I am using the standard 55mm hood? Is it not wide enough, or does it cover some view from what you see in the viewfinder? From what I heard is that vignette occurs when you use step down rings.
Can you direct me to somewhere on the web where this issue is discussed? I want to avoid making a mistake if this is really a problem. Thank You.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 5:03 PM   #7

Fuji doesn't actually make a 55mm hood for the S7000, sothe hood you buy will most likely be athird-party/generic 55mm hood.Since the hood won'texplicity bedesigned for the S7000 you may experience some vignetting at full wide angle because, as you said, the hood may be in the field of view of the lens. Of course that's not to say some hood manufacturers can't produce a 55mm threaded hood that actuallyworks with the S7000 withoutvignetting...it's justthat there are no gaurentees since it's not an official Fuji accessory. Actually, if you check the S7000 manual in regards to the adapter tube it actually states "do not use more than one filter at a time". I would assume this is Fuji's method of covering themselves in case vignetting occurs.

As I mentioned, if you go with 55mm accessories the "best bet" is to at least go with a hood that is designed for a 28mm equivalent lens, such as the lens on the S7000. For your application (a single filter and hood) you would most likely be ok with 55mm accessories. From what i've seen tho, most S602/S7000 users with hoods have gone the 58mm route.

Since I want the ability to stack several filters and use a hood at the same time I am looking for a larger thread diameteras usingseveralaccessories on a 55mm tube is asure fire wayto suffer vignetting issues. The biggest tube I can get is 58mm so i'm trying to determine if that is the best route or if I should go with the 58mm tube and a 62mm step-up ring. I'm also prepared for the possibility that there may not be a solution...
Old Oct 6, 2004, 8:33 AM   #8

Thanks JD.

I think I got it. I don't want to risk and would rather go with 58mm also. Have you settled on anything in particular? Sony hood does look attractive, but it is expensive (the lowest I have seen it online id for $35 or so - I believe nextag.com or pricegrabber.) I am not sure if I should go with the aftermarket 58mm Sony fakes. Let me know what you settle or decide on. I need to buy something before the end of the month (going to a wedding). Thanks.

Val
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:03 PM   #9

I've got my eye on two 55mm-58mm tubes, should have settled on one once the sellers/manufactuers respond to my emails. I'll post back once i've got things sorted... tho it'll probably take a week or so before I receive whatever I end up buying.

I know what you mean about the cost of the Sony hood tho - it's pricey, but it seems to be one of the more popular options out there and it's proven to work with the S7000. If you're only using a single filter I don't think you'd run into any problems withsome of the generic58mm hoods. If you can, check with the seller/manufacturer and see what lenses their hood is designed to work with. Ideally, you need something designed to work with a 28mm lens.

There's also the HAMA collpsable telescopic hood out there... it's 58mm and i've heard good things about it with respect to the Fuji cameras.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:47 PM   #10

Thanks again JD. Let me know what you end up buying. What is the best mounting method? Camera, adapter tube, filter, hood or Camera, adapter tube, hood and filter? I am not even sure if there are hoods that have inner thread to mount filters inside the hood. Would that help or worsen the light glare? Thanks a bunch.

In regards to the collapsible hood, I don't like how they look on the camera. I would rather go with the petal (flower-shaped) hood. I have seen a picture on dpreview of S602 I believe withstep-up ring and Sony's 58mm hood and it looks cool! So, that is my route. Good luck to you.
Val