Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:15 PM   #1

Oh man... got it off of ebay from a guy who got it as a gift. He only used it 12 times, and I got the camera in mint condition. Some U.S. warrenty left (don't know "exactly" how much). A camera bag for it, batteries, 2x128MB - Lexar CF cards, AND 2x256 MB Simpletech CF cards all for 314.99 shipped to my doorstep!

Woooohooo... I cannot wait. =o)

Let me explain my ordeal. I bought a s602z from a ebay seller (highly rated) on Oct. 6th, 2004 but finally after talking to him over email I find out that his 3rd party vendor screwed him and gave him refurbs instead of new models. He apologizes and says he will not ship an inferior product and refunds my money.

1 week lost in waiting on this stupid mess... THEN yesterday I got sniped on ebay on an auction with 4 seconds left. Hehehe... my gain though. That model was a refurbished model and just a few extras like , cleaning kit, bag, etc...

I'll gladly covet my extra memory cards and batteries and camera with warrenty. =o)

Any tips for a new digital user? I've always had a pretty decent eye for scenes and setting up shots and ideas. I think with a lil' baby daughter on the way , due in January 24 2005, that I'll have plenty of opportunities for shots and videos.

If you're a s7000, or s602 user please post ever tip you would garner valuable. I'd greatly appreciate it.

The New Guy, :-)
-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2004, 1:12 AM   #2

*bump for my post* no one has any tips, or comments about such a great deal?

I'm aksing folks, please supply the knowledge... Thank you.

-tlmiller10
Old Oct 16, 2004, 2:44 AM   #3

Congratulations on your new camera. S602 is very good camera and worth every penny. It served me well for2 years! (i'm upgrading to the different camera now).

The good thing to buy with camera is lens barrel (an adapter that allows you filter and add-on lenses attachment) and a couple of filters. I bought the cheaper version which is 55mm to 52mm thread (so you can mount 52mm filters, which are cheaper). When I was shopping for adapters it was really difficult to get one but now you can even get an original Fuji 55mm for a good money. Search e-bay for fuji lens adapter.

Another thing I noticed in s602 that it tends to produce all images slightly greenish-colored. So the smart thing to do would be to keep in mind is the white balance.

Get yourself a tripod! It's a must for a low-light photography. S602 is pretty good when set to shutter-priority with slow shutter. Don't bump the ISO more than 200 (if possible, of course) cause you'll see a lot of noise in pictures.

Don't save on batteries! Get yourself 2 sets of hi-capacity Ni-Mh rechargeable batteries and a charger. It drains batteries, especially when you use LCD screen a lot.

The most important thing - take your camera with you everywhere,take pictures of everything, anytime! It sucks when you can see something and don't have a camera to capture the moment...
ulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:13 PM   #4

I would suggest you pick up a 55mm to 55mm adaptere tube, especially if you think you might ever want to add a teleconverter lens (such as the Olympus tcon-17 $85-$95), the cost difference between 52mm and 55mm filters did not seem much to me. www.camerafilters.com has an excellent selection, good prices, and prompt service. I bought the DKE adapter tube ($6.21 rated almost as high as the Fuji adapter)and a Hoya UV filter from them for about $22 total. Always buygood quality filters from a known manufacturer, they are not that much more expensive. Two or three sets of good 2300 mah NiMh batteries and a good charger. If you plan on doing very many shots in RAW, look for more memory, I picked up a 2gb Hitachi microdrive for my S7000, I also keep a larger Xd card (which does not work in the S602) in it, as well as a couple of Xd cards in my kit bag. You might also want to start visiting the Fuji forum at Dpreview, there are some wonderful folks sharing knowledge there and it's a very friendly forum. Enjoy your new cam, happy shooting!

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:17 PM   #5

Forgot to mention, always keep an adapter tube and filter on your cam to protect the lens.

Clyde
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:29 PM   #6

I was planning on grabbinga lens adapter and uv filter from the very site you listed. =o) Thanks for the tips.

One question though... how does that affect the size of the camera? A larger bag might be needed right?

What I have right now:

2 - 128MB CF cards
2 - 256MB CF cards
1 - Sandisk Ultra II highspeed CF card (for my main photo and movie use)

the set of batteries the guy is sending
4 energizer 2100 mah AA batteries
4 extra energizer 2300 AA batteries (my main set)
Engergizer home/car 3 hour charger
1 camera bag (unknown size as of yet)
1 Fuji s602z camera (on it's way)

Looking ok so far?
-tlmiller10
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:19 PM   #7

I'm using a small Samsonite camera bag (approx. 12"x6"x6"), the adapter tube was no problem fitting in, I think the tcon-17 teleconverter will fit also (as soon as I order it). Sounds like you have enough to start with once you add the adapter tube and filter. You did not mention the size of your "main" card, but I think you'll have enough cards to get going without the pressure of memory shortage. The reason I mentioned a very large card, it gives you plenty of room for a greater number of large files without having to change cards. I went out today to the park and shot 180 megs of pics pretty quickly ([email protected]), that's why I went to a 2gb microdrive. Just something to think about down the road. Hope all goes well, maybe I'll "see" you in Fuji forums at Dpreview.

Clyde
Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:46 PM   #8

I'm sorry... it's a 512 mb highspeed card.

-tlmiller10
Old Oct 20, 2004, 9:45 PM   #9

No more tips folks?

-tlmiller10