Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 7, 2004, 1:20 AM   #11

Yeah - I've obviously got more to learn about digital cameras.... From the S-5100 owner's manual: (In RAW mode) "Playback image quality is fixed at 1280x960".

I maintain the other things I've said about the S-5100, though... the focus assist light (green) is too weak. The focus also really hunts - even in bright light - significantly more than any other camera I've tried.

Macro mode is weak, as well. It claims a minimum distance of 4 inches in Macro (which is pretty lousy compared to other cameras in this class, whose minimum is down to an inch or so). But I couldn't even focus at 4 inches in Macro. It was more like 6 inches - and several focus tries - before it would focus.

The Auto White Balance is inconsistent. Same shot one minute apart yielded significantly different color.

It's too bad that the camera has these flaws. I like the RAW option (once I learn how to operate it properly), and I really like the ergonomics, thelens hood/adapter, and theoverall layout(although the 4-way buttons are too small and shallow, and I accidentally changed the zoom settings a few times while pressing the 'Back' button).
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 2:19 AM   #12

I think ive read that the S5100 had a 24bit ccd, and that makes a raw

1280*960 picture 3,6MB big, uncompressed, where a 4mpixel 2272*1704

becomes a 11MByte picture uncompressed, but on the camera they are

8MB. Maybe it doesnt use a 24bit ccd afterall?

Or it uses some kind of non-destructive compression? but i have a hard time thinking that it does that.

mintosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 2:22 AM   #13

I agree about the macro btw. Its pretty bad on focusing, and the near limit.

i guess it depends on how you set the focus?

about low light focus, i found it to be a gimmick, and have turned it off.

Im happy anyway with the camera

Old Nov 7, 2004, 4:28 AM   #14

I looked in the manual, and guess what i found. the thing you talk about is the PLAYBACK resolution in the camera!. The resolution you see the raw-picture on the LCD.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:53 AM   #15

Hmmm, seems there is a little disatisfaction with the S5100?

... as far as the low light focus is concerned- it does work but may work differently in manual than auto or P, A, and S. I have found no "real" problems with the LLFocus assist... and it's better than most I've tried.I have used it at almost 15 feet succsessfully in low light it is NOT a gimmick do not turn it off unless you want to be more unhappy. The subject must have some degree of contrast for a lock to be sucsessful sometimes in low light there just isn't enough there.

... The manual focus stinks- agreed, I don't use it unless I am photographing Macro shots at home in which case I attach A/V cable to myTV and set the focus using single AF~ half press shutter button, focus then switch to MF and dial it in. I can see the image better on the tv.

... The Auto Focus itself has been very reliable more accurate than the FZ20 at telephoto from comparisons I made (IMHO). Yes it may "hunt" if you want to call it that butno more, and probably less than many otherp&s cameras. *Where the zoom is set makes a difference, there is a minimum and max for Macro and non-macro sometimes if the subject is in the intermediary between the two, you have to ingage macro. This is not a "macro" camera... I use a tiffen set of close-up filters usually #1 sometimes in the field a #2 (for insects etc.). When using macro start at wide angle focus, then "zoom" in if you want to get closer- try to focus, there will be a point where camera will no longer get a lock in telephoto- same is true in normal focus- too close and no lock.

... RAW is in 4MP.

The flash is very good for the price and better thana good number of others at higher prices.

... I have never seen inconsistancies with the white balance. Were you in "Auto" cause white balance and S/A will change even with the slightest directional change due to light differences this will be true for A & S as well... this is true for ALL cameras on auto.

*I own the S5000 not the S5100/S5500 but the two are essentially identical... that is unless you add the histogram, custom white balance, a true 4MP resolution (with far less noise and less jpeg compression), and a couple of other user settings that aren't on my camera- LOL.

Bj
Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 5:06 PM   #16

I use a black piece of fabric, which isnt flat behind the photos of humans, and it doesnt want to focus on that with the LLF.

the flash, i dont think its bad at all. I think its great actually. My old Kodak with flash made the human skin grey, where this actually looks great to me.

i never use the flash anyway btw. i use lots of lightsources instead, to create nice shadows etc.

No problems so whatever with noise in my pictures. No vignetting either.

i use my camera mostly on "Auto" and im very happy with it. I found the whitebalance really good on manual modes. Its a function i use a lot.

i love the shutter!.. 15secs can do wonders you can have a dim lightsource in the room, and still get a cool wierd picture with lots of wierd shadows

I may have sounded unsatisfied, but i would recommend this camera to anyone!
Old Nov 7, 2004, 7:35 PM   #17

Hi mintosen, My comments were onlya general response to the threadI hope they didn't sound directed at you- certainly not my intention.

(BTW thanks! the 15 sec. exposure... one of the things I forgot about- mine has only 2 sec.)

Yeah, the LLF isn't perfect and lots of times it won't even fire. I'm not sure exactly why this happens because other times it will work in complete darkness (and with the flash on- will give me a well focused pic).

OnceI tried focusing in very low light atmy whitewall- and got no focus lock from far away but it did lock up-closer.... in that first scenario the camera did lock on the plants/ stand.(Next)wouldn't lock -in darkness- onmy carpet but when zoomed in a little it had no problem. So what I gather from this is that the focus assist is indeed a little finicky but on my camera at least, focus & the assist has worked when needed it in my "real world" shooting.

Mintosen, maybedoing some experimentation with different backgrounds, or? Maybe you can find some other solutions. Hopefully yours is not a malfuntioning unit though I have not heard of any yet.

~fun with the Fuji

Bj

Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:49 AM   #18

I received my S5100 the day before yesterday, and I am having a great time. I have taken some photos and have found that the camera produced very vibrant photos, with well saturated colors. I even tried a few night photos in auto mode and found them also to be pleasing. I did them handheld, and found them to be clear, but a little to much movement. I will try using my Olympus flash bracket which has an handle on it. Maybe then I can avoid a tripod.

The only thing I need now is a wide angle lens. I would not like to spend the amount to purchase the Fujifilm WL-FX9B , any recommendations?

http://public.fotki.com/joelw135/fuji/

joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:27 PM   #19

not sure if anyone has seen this review site on the S5100 but it really gives a lot of info. After seeing this i ordered one hope you all like it http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S5100/S51A.HTM
sincerecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:46 PM   #20

The reason there is nothing in the review about cards above 512MB is because the 1GB xD cards just came out. The 1GB xD cards should work in your camera, any xD up to 2GB, and above that if it supports FAT32.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote