Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:04 PM   #1

Originally I was looking to buy the Minolta Z3 until I read the review on dpreview.com. Now I am having second doubts. Now I found the 5100 and very interested. Any users have this camera. Not much user reviews on this product. What I would like to know is the card capicity. Is it limited to 512M capicity or did i misread the review on this site. I believe there is no hot shoe. Hope I am wrong. How about the picture quality at night and sharpness, colour etc. Any bugs. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2004, 6:25 AM   #2

Hi!, i got my S5500 (S5100 overseas) yesterday, and i cant tell you about any bugs yet.

But no, there is no hotshoe. And Limited to 512MB no idea.. but i havent seen any bigger XD-cards then 512MB, maybe thats what they meant?

mintosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 7:48 PM   #3

So how is the camera? When the novelty value dimminishes can you give me a personal review of your camera? -garman
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 4:48 PM   #4

not sure what i should say really, since the only camera i had before was the Kodak CX4230.

And compared to that camera, its AWESOME!. Its GREAT!!.

Im amazed how clear and good the pictures comes out of it everytime, and

i love that you can adjust things manually on the camera.

Its fast too, on my kodak i had to wait 1-2secs between each shot.. here its just.. oint and shoot.. and shoot again. no wait

The videocam mode impressed me aswell!, takes better video then my dads old Sony handycam

well, havent used it too full yet, so i dont know what negative to write about it.

Old Oct 28, 2004, 10:27 PM   #5

dcresource.com is reviewing the s5100 tomorrow. I've been waiting foir their review . Steve's has already reviewed it and results were favorable.

Bill
wfshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 10:39 PM   #6

Garman,

I am undecided between the Panasonic fz20 and the Fuji s5100. Reviews on the Panasonic are very good. I am waiting for dcresource's review tomorrow before making a firm decision. Also the Panasonic is about $200.00 more.
wfshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 3:48 AM   #7

I've got an S-5100 right in front of me.

Theword that comes to my mind about this camera is Deception.

It advertizes a focus assist light. It does have one - but it only works to a distance of 5 feet. Yes, it's better than none at all - but 5 feet?...

As well, it advertizes that it shoots in RAW mode. Well, it does - but not at the 4 MP resolution. RAW brings the resolution down to 1280x960. That's 1 MP resolution. You only find that out by reading the owner's manual - Fuji doesn't mention it in their marketing of the camera, of course.

Manual Focus is all but useless... no distance scale or magnified center part of the image... and you've got to hold the exposure comp. button and fiddle with the zoom buttons to adust this incompetent Manual Focus.

Only bright spot thus far has been the flash - it seems on the powerful side.

Other than that, the camera doesn't live up to its marketing hype. Not to me, at least.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 8:24 AM   #8

EOS RT wrote:
Quote:
As well, it advertizes that it shoots in RAW mode. Well, it does - but not at the 4 MP resolution. RAW brings the resolution down to 1280x960. That's 1 MP resolution. You only find that out by reading the owner's manual - Fuji doesn't mention it in their marketing of the camera, of course.

:?:?:?:?:?
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:01 AM   #9
Administrator

EOS RT wrote:
Quote:
You may want to put your reading glasses on.

Steve has a 2272 x 1704 image converted from RAW in his sample images (bottom row):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...0_samples.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 2:25 PM   #10

lol., i see that you did the same misstake as me!

I was angry like a horse when i first tried to convert raw to tiff / jpeg

In fujipix fineviewer, when you have a photo selected, and choose "save as" in the menu, you get a 1280*960 picture! thats right!.

You have to select convert raw from the other menu to get them in the full 4mpixel resolution.