Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 31, 2004, 2:24 AM   #1

OK, just bought the S7000 this morning. Our previous digicam was an old Kodak Dx3600 which finally took a fataldive off the counter.

We're used to "turn it on, point and shoot." We bought the S7000 after reading all the great reviews, and recommendations for the "newbie" camera owner. Hubby and I figured it might be nice to have some added features.

We took it to a halloween party this evening and are incredibly disappointed. We kept all the settings at "auto."(even the flash) Unless everything is perfectly still, the pictures are a blur. After reading so many posts this evening, fiddling around with ISO settings, manual mode, AF /MF, and AE stuff (most of these things I don't even know what they are/do) seems like a complete headache when all I want is to get some great pictures of the kids that I can print, share, and potentially enlarge. The kids aren't going to wait for me to changea bunch of settings.

I love technology, but would hope that "auto" mode on this camera would take a lot of the thought out of it for us. It doesn't seem tobe that easy. I'm thinking we bought way more camera that we need. Thoughts? Any recommendations?:?

Thanks all!!
J

OsbornFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:58 AM   #2

Did you pop up the flash? Even with the settings on auto you will need to manually pop up the flash for it to work.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, the flash was up. Even saw it go off a few times.

J
Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:30 PM   #4

One thing you have to do with the S7000 is give the flash a chance to charge back up between shots. If you keep shooting after you use the flash it will keep firing pictures without flashing. Try giving it a few seconds to charge up and make sure your batteries are fully charged up also. You will get some very blurry shots if your flash doesn't fire with kids moving about. I have shot probably about 4000 images and only a handful have been blurry and that was because I didn't wait for the flash to charge up or had focused on the wrong subject.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:48 AM   #5

Host, you are exactly right. I've been using my S7000 since April, mostly in the auto mode, and as long as I let the flash charge between shots they are usually fine. While the S7000 overwhelmed me at first withso many options available (having come from 35mm p&s, then digital p&s), I found that it was really easy to use with great results after doing some basic reading about the features. I'm thrilled with the results and think this cam will be with me for a long time as I continue to learn the programs, manual functions, etc.

Clyde

Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:35 PM   #6

Another thing to watch for is that the focus switch is set in one of the auto modes. I've taken bunches of pictures that were slightly soft on focus becausethe switch got bumped to manual, and I didn't notice that it wasn't in focus on the small screen. I check the position ofthat switcheach time I remove it from the camera bag.

Oh, I also went from the Kodak 3600 to the Fuji s7000, and all those extra buttonsand knobs can be overwhelming at first. But if you could live with the horribly under powered flash of the 3600, than the 7000 should blow you away because it actually has enough power to light up objects more than 2 ft. away. For me, the hardest thing to get used to is that the 3600 shoots a 4:6 picture naturally, where the Fuji shoots 4:3. So you have to get used to not composing your shots in the viewfinder if you're mainly taking snapshots.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:59 AM   #7

Just a quick update on this post -

After all your suggestions (THANK YOU, btw) - we still could not get a picture which wasn't blurry. (I know, I should get on posting some pics for you all to dissect!) However - after all that fiddling, and just plain not understanding what we were missing, we took the camera back.

I didn't want to even risk missing pictures for any more events. The halloween party was really neat, and we only got one good picture. I wasn't going to risk Turkey Day or the holidays......

I will openly admit we were probably ineptwith this camera, and I'm not here to bash it - we just decided it was more than we needed or were willing to fiddle with at this time. (My brother-in-law has the S5000 and loves it!)

We're using a Kodak DX4530 for now (inherited from my in-laws) and are happy to know we'll get some usable pics for the holidays and all the fun associated with it. Perhaps in 2005 we'll try again.

Best wishes!
Jen

Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:24 AM   #8

I have an S5000, and it's auto mode is very good, although I'd echo what the others say about letting the flash recharge. I'd almost wager, though, that after you took into account all the advice in the above posts and still couldn't get a good picture, you might have gotten a camera that was defective, as the S5000's auto mode is fairly well stupid proof (that's not an insult toward you, I have had mine about 8 months and still hardly ever use manual mode, I just have not taken the time to learn it all yet) and it still takes very good pictures in auto. To me, it's as easy as any other P&S when it's in auto mode. Taking it back might have been the right thing to do with this particular camera. You might want to give another one a chance after the holidays, or try the S5100, which is also supposed to be quite good.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote