Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:36 PM   #1

I've upgraded from the s602..? to s7000 and have been working with the new camera over the weekend. I was expecting a big improvement in resolution in my 12" x 44" prints. So far I regret to say that any improvement in the image is almost beyond my ability to perceive. Never having shot RAW and having read for days on the subject, I was sure that my large prints would "look" better than those produced by the s602 shooting at the maximum albeit intepolated mode. Unless Im missing something, the s7000 shooting in Rawcaptures 2848x2139 ie not at the larger interpolated 4048x3040 available in the jpg mode.

I've done all the noise cleanup and image adjustments then upresed with gf, cs's smooth bicubic and other means. the images are perhaps a tiny bit better defined using the s7000 over my s602, certainly not noticable to the clients.

Perhaps ther is a way to shoot those extra pixels in raw, anybody know how?

Bruce
halfpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:27 PM   #2

I have a S7000 and it shoots the larger 4048x3040 RAW images. Perhaps its the software you using that is converting it to the smaller image size??? The Fuji software outputs the larger images in a Tiff format and they look great. Ihave tried Photoshopand in the default setting on my PC itwas the smaller file size. I was not impressed with the photoshop output. The 12MP Fine images lookvery good printed also andI have printed some very large photos.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 6:23 AM   #3

Yes that may be the way to go, I would not have even thought that photoshop was holding back pixels even interpolated ones. going to experiment a bit later, thanks

2 hours later...Yes Yes it is so Raw converter LE did a good job of it, I wonder if the hyper hs-se raw converter bundled with the S2 offers any controls? I'll have to see if I can get a copy to evaluate.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 6:42 PM   #4

The S7000 RAW image contains about 6 million intensityvalues - 3 million green values, and 1.5 million each of red and blue.All RAW converters extrapolate and some allow for variable size output. A6 6 MP, you get 3 times more intensity values in the output file than in the RAW file. At 12 MP, you get 6 times as many! Among free converters, s7raw and rawgemallow user control the output file size.
Pierre Lafoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:02 PM   #5

I heard somewhere that the S2 software would work but I haven't had the opportunity to try it out. I have tried some of the free software such as s7raw and I wasn't really impressed. It had a hard time getting things adjusted properly in indoor shots. It is a work in progress so hopefully they will get better as time passes.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The included software does seem to produce the best results. It would have been nice to have some control over the settings prior to processing.

Its a great camera and I found its easy to get good shots. At ISO 200 I haven't found a non-slr digicam with better output straight from the camera.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:33 AM   #6

I,ve tried the s7raw as well

Thing is I still have a s602 and I'll be dammed if I can see any difference in the image 'quality' (tiff) it produces compare to those produced by my s7000 raw, printsof 12x42. One would expect to see a fairly noticable improvement given that we're talking DOUBLE the resolution. I mean I've used the same subject, same light, tried to get the best out of each image ..no difference so far. I was blown away by the s602 when I started using it a year and a half ago and went out on a limb to buy the s7000 figuring the improved image quality that double the resolution were going to produce would pay off both in customer satisfaction and my pride with better images. I'm starting to think that the ccd is the same one used in the s602 and the 4th generation hype is a firmware thing. Am I right?
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:49 AM   #7

One thing about digital cameras you've just learnt the hard way - don't believe the hype.

Its all well and good having a sensor that can (on paper) produce a 12MPix image, but as you've discovered - if the lens / software / sensor noise aren't equally as good you get no significant improvment in image qualty at the end of the day.

As nice as the s7000 is - doing an imagecomparison side by side with the s602 (and even the s20 up to a point) shows that whatever improvment(s) Fuji may be able to measure under controlled conditons, it isn't really making much visible difference to a real-life image in practice.

..and of course all the other manufacturers are just as bad - compare images from the Minolta A2 and A1 and there's little if anything between them.

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:09 PM   #8

Harvey,

Do you have a side by side on the 602 and S7000. In most of the shots I have seen of the two cameras the S7000 captures a much larger more detailed image. I don't have a 602 to compare with myself. I really can't see how they would be the same. I have shot a lot of 12MP fine images and they print out great large photos with very little noise. I have printed awsome images at about 16x20. The only complaint I have on the S7000 is that the Jpeg compression on the 6MP images is too high and causes too much noise in the shots. Since most shots are not at ISO 50 or 100 the fact that the ISO starts at 200 and is clearer than most other ISO200 non-slr digicams out their is a real selling feature. I had a Minolta Digicam and although the ISO could go very low, the camera in auto mode often pushed up the ISO to compensate for lighting resulting in a lot of noise.

Also if Halfpipe IMO, I don't think I would even consider using a non-slr digicam if I were selling images as you seem to indicate here. Any of the Digital SLR Cameras are going to give you much more impressive and detailed shot with lower noise at any ISO. With the cost of the DSLR going down so much, you can get a good one at a bargin that will produce better images than any of these. If your clients liked the 602 images the DSLR will blow them away.