Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:29 PM   #1

Default Help! I've installed the Fuji software!

I installed the software months ago when I first got my FinePix 601 thinking that it was a necessary part of the package. However, from what I've read here, the FinePix software is completely unnecessary. From my own experience, it is heavy and slow and is generally a nuisance because I close the window as soon as it comes back to life.

Has anyone uninstalled the Fuji software and lived to tell about it? Will uninstalling it break the USB driver?
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2002, 7:37 AM   #2

If people are using a flashcard reader/writer, They are downloading direct off the card and don't use the cams usb drivers. There are pro's and cons to both methods. But, most would say getting 100 files into a pc is much faster via the reader. I think the Cam should still look like a generic remote drive to a usb port- but without any Fuji cam specific control features (not many).

There are a couple of things in the Fuji software which might remotely come in handy. Like I think some sort of webcam control software and import file rename to a date format. But I didn't buy my cam to do a job cheaper cams or the pc could do better. I think the Finepix viewer, including those direct selling and help links are a bit of a waste of disc space.

Steve's software library is much more useful! Personally. I'd get a reader and uninstall, but some owners prefer attaching all the cam cables and running the viewer to get their pics out.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2002, 12:43 PM   #3

Default uninstalling

Sure you can uninstall the Fuji software. At least i did without any problems. I have Windows 98 and I installed the software just to make sure the usb connection on the camera did work but after that i used my card reader which is faster than the usb port direct from camera.

The annoying thing about that Finepix software is it puts in icon in the tray which i hate when programs do that and it starts automaticly on boot up so if you connect your camera it sees that and starts the Finepix software, another thing i hate. I even went into the msconfig setup and unchecked under the startup tab so it shouldnt start at boot up but the darn software puts another start-up box in there after you do that, pretty darn annoying. Thats why i just removed all the Finepix software as i couldnt figure out how to keep it from starting up and putting icon in the tray. Must put somthing in the registry to keep it starting up at boot up, whoever wrote that is lucky i cant get my hands on them!!
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2002, 6:03 PM   #4

I suppose it's academic for people who want to remove the Fuji sofware but you can easily stop the Exif Launcher from running automatically. Right-click on the tray icon, select "Settings" and uncheck the "Start automatically when connected" check box. An icon will still appear in the tray when you next boot but it will be disabled.
joegib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2002, 6:10 PM   #5

dc9mm...If you search the registry for 'Fuji' you'll find the key, first thing I did! But it's now history, as I also disliked the software trying to sell me stuff, so I junked it! It also kept popping my firewall, which I also hate!

I still think XP might see the cam as a generic remote drive, when plugged into USB without the FinePix viewer installed. However, I can't prove it, as I stayed away from XP.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 2:36 AM   #6

Default Card Reader and SmartMedia lifespans

I do have a SmartMedia reader (actually it's one of those all in one CF, PCMCIA, SmartMedia, MemoryStick readers) and have used it occasionally to download pictures. I stopped after a couple times because I was worried about damaging the SmartMedia cards. The contacts are right on the surface and the thing looks more like a piece of cardboard than memory media.

Will constantly removing the card shorten the life of the media significantly?

Regarding the FinePix software, I opted for disabling the auto-launch feature instead of uninstalling. It can't possibly be as bad as I think it is, so I may go back and take a look at its featureset before giving up on it completely.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 5:45 AM   #7

There are views either way on this. Compared to Compact flash, you only have pins as such in the cam, since SmartMedia has large area gold flashed lands, and fewer of them. Although SM cards are a bit floppy and considered vulnerable to bending.

It's argued that removing the card wipes the contacts keeping them clean and reliable. So a lot depends on the size of the cards and individual shooting habit.

Filling a lot of smaller cards on a shoot, will give more insertions, sometimes in bad weather or awkward situations, than say a large card, so card size and shooting style will probably determine the contact life/reliability.

I'd consider both methods: Large card, lots of files, not always required immediately - Use reader. Large card, filled up daily, pics needed quickly - Use slower cam download, Small cards, not many pics, only one card never filled - use cam, Several cards, changed in cam during shooting, - Use Reader to halve card insertions