Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 8, 2004, 1:27 AM   #1

Ok... new/used s602z, going great for two weeks. Then yesterday, I noticed that especially when taking shots of the blue sky, I have a dark patch in the left center of the frame.

Now I've taken over 1,000 shots in 2 weeks of everything I can think of, and editted most of em... blown up, printed, etc... and never noticed it.

Thus: I believe it's a new problem. Question is, how do I resolve it? I cleaned the lens with a soft cloth I have for my trumpet, and I DO see dust inside the housing for the lens.

I am buying an adapter tube, ASAP, but this problem already persists.

What can I do??? No warrenty that I know of, and such... Am I stuck?

I noticed hot pixels too... but those I can live with, this is WAY noticable unless I use a clone brush or something.

Please goto this link, to my webspace, and check out the file called, BADSPOT.jpg

http://quantumdefect.com/tlmiller10

Thanks everyone! Please help me if you can! =o\

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:54 AM   #2
Administrator

This looks like a dust spot -- probably on or near the sensor. I know of no "cure" for it (other than a service center taking it apart and cleaning it).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 1:02 PM   #3

I can swear I can across a forum link someplace (on the web), where someone had documented a way to get non-wet canned spray air, and blow out the inside, without damaging the lens, or the housing...

Hmm... anyone heard of such a procedure?

Also, would you trust the camera cleaning to ANY camera shop, or "JUST" A Fuji approved repair shop?

-tlmiller10
Old Nov 8, 2004, 1:37 PM   #4
Administrator

I have read some posts from users that used compressed air, blowing it into the cracks around the lens before. Some posts indicate that it worked -- some say that it didn't. However, I've also seen warnings about damaged cameras from using compressed air (mostly shutter curtain damage from using compressed air on DSLR models).

Since you've already got visible dust inside the lens mechanism, you could also make the problem worse (by spreading the dust around).

Chances are, your one spot is a speck of dust on or near the sensor, and won't show up in most photos. Most of the time, if it's on or near the sensor,it's more noticeable at smaller apertures (higher f/stop numbers) when using zoom with a bright background.

I'd do some test shots at different focal lengths and apertures, before deciding if it's worth spending the money to get it fixed (or worth risking making the problem worse if you try another method). As for Fuji repair, I don't know how their system is setup. Keep in mind that if the lens mechanism is removed, it may need realignment for accurate focus, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 1:40 PM   #5

Good points... I've looked at the Fuji website, about the closest repair centers... none in Missouri.

I'd have to ship it myself to Texas, or Georgia, or Ohio...

Hmmm...

Maybe if I shake it a lil... ;o)

-tlmiller10
Old Nov 11, 2004, 1:42 AM   #6

canned air worked!!! Clean CCD... =o) WOOHOO... I'm so lucky...

Thanks for all the help *cough* one reply from one user. ;o)

Next time, chime in... boost that post level! =o) *grin*

-tlmiller10
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:05 AM   #7

to tlmiller

am most interested in your post re the 602z, i have one that I bought new. How did you spray the canned air into the camera, through which point?
Would very much appreciate your comments as I am very disspointed with my smudgy marks
Ron Begg
Ocean Grove
Australia
ronaldbegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:07 PM   #8

""Ocean Grove, Australia""
Hey, is that the Ocean grove past Geelong? I have several friends out that way.
As for the "dust in lens issue", it's been discussed so many 1,000's times and there are many fixes. You can start by checking out my URL .. www.digsys.com.au/s602/s602.html
I've also posted 100's threads at dpreview and many here. In a nutshell - I and others have successfully used -
-Tapping the lens while the holding the camera Horizontally.
-Blown canned air in through the lens zoom seal.
-Used the Vaccum cleaner method
-Partial dismantle plus air
-Full dismantle and Isopropyl alcohol (bad cases)
Of the 100's that have succeeded over 2+ yrs (I keep the emails), only a VERY FEW didn't fix it or got worse. AND ALL gave up rather than pursue it.
Yes, its a bad design fault, but certainly easily fixable.
JKirk
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote