Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:38 PM   #1

Ive been told (by my boss at the camera store) that buying a faster compact flash card for the S7000 wont make it faster because the camera doesn't utilize it some how. Does anyone know this to be true? I don't see how it wouldn't be faster but I think my boss probably knows what she's talking about. I wanted to be sure before buying a new card though and thought I would try and get some opinions from the pros here.

Thanks for your time,:|
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:45 AM   #2

Since no one else, knows how to type here... I'll help you out.

Being a s602z owner (younger brother to the s7000) and also having a cousin who owns the s7000; Utilizing a faster card will yield faster photo loading, and lowing time between read/writes while using the camera.

How do I know? I put in a slow card, tested it... put my faster card back in, better speeds.

Is it a night and day difference? No... but if you use a Faster, IE: Ultra II card from SanDisk, then yes... you'll notice the lag, of the older cards.

Hope I helped ya out. =o)

-tlmiller10

A few of my photos - http://www.quantumdefect.com/tlmiller10/
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 5:07 AM   #3

tlmiller10 wrote:
Quote:
Since no one else, knows how to type here... I'll help you out.

Being a s602z owner (younger brother to the s7000) and also having a cousin who owns the s7000; Utilizing a faster card will yield faster photo loading, and lowing time between read/writes while using the camera.

How do I know? I put in a slow card, tested it... put my faster card back in, better speeds.

Is it a night and day difference? No... but if you use a Faster, IE: Ultra II card from SanDisk, then yes... you'll notice the lag, of the older cards.

Hope I helped ya out. =o)

-tlmiller10

A few of my photos - http://www.quantumdefect.com/tlmiller10/
This is true up to a point. There is a limit to how fast the S7000 can write. I don't know what the write times are, but I don't think the S7000 will be able to utilize all of the 80x sandisk II speed. It doesn't hurt though, and you might upgrade cams in the future that will be able to take advantage of the faster cards. Hopefully someone with some figures will weigh in with the write times of the S7000 and the new faster cards.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 6:36 AM   #4

Thank-you very much for taking the time to comment on this one tlmiller10 and GoCubs. I really appreciate it. It seemed to me that it would be faster at some point in the process of storing the image on there. Its cool because the card that you mention here (Ultra II card from SanDisk) was the one I was looking at last night on the internet and was thinking about getting. Seemed a good deal at $87 for a 1gb one.

Thanks again,
Old Nov 11, 2004, 6:23 PM   #5

Hey Doc,
It IS a good deal, my point was that while it may be a little faster, it woun't be able to use all of the 80x, but it would be faster than normal. I wish I could find smoe facts to back up my mind.:roll:
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 8:46 PM   #6

Definately use the faster cards. Some of the slow cards actually lock up when shooting and also they error out for video. I think the if your at 3-4mbs your good. The camera really isn't designed, as pointed out, to go any faster. I had a Ultra two and my camera was one with the power issue with some CF cards. The Ultra Two always drained the battery. I know Fuji will replace the camera if I send it back but I just havent done it.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:14 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice. Its much appreciated.