Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:26 PM   #1

Hello everyone.......just for kicks, I picked up an S5000 and like the form factor. However the image quality isn't as good as it can be- there's lots of graininess present in indoor photos- does anyone have a PS fix (action or filter?) that can smooth out the grain without destroying the detail?

Also, I've been using Adobe's DNG converter to convert the raw raf files to DNG format for longterm archiving- has anoyone noticed any differences in raw formats- do we lose anything by converting to Adobe's DNG format?

Thanks
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:40 PM   #2

stevenyc1 wrote:
Quote:
However the image quality isn't as good as it can be- there's lots of graininess present in indoor photos-

That's one of the only real disadvantages of current digital cameras - people expect perfectly noise free images. Unfortulately; your not going to get them. Compare a digital photo at 100% with a comparable enlargement from a flim camera (especially a colour negative film) and you'll see that in comparison digital is -even from cheaper cameras - many many times better and cleaner.

Anyway; there's a number of noise reduction applications out there - noise ninja being about the best I've tried, and there's other like noisewire. They all help but at the expense of a slight reduction in sharpness.

http://www.picturecode.com/for Noise Ninja

http://www.noiseware.com/

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 8:09 AM   #3

Harvey,

I disagree with your blanket statement about "real disadvantages of current digital cameras" and their "noise" attributes. The S5000 is a "consumer" camera with it's all plastic construction and $300 price point. Michael Richemann (sp?) from the Luminous Landscape pushed the concept that today's modern DSLR's can and do readily surpass the quality of the best film camera photos when scanned with high dollar equipment....back when the Canon D30 came out he put the camera to the test with sample images printed vs. scanned from an expensive system and had the prints framed and in open view in a Canadian shop- if memory serves me right- just about everyone thought the D30 image surpased those from the scan (negative) film camera, unscientifically putting the digital vs film test to the public with DSLR's getting the edge.......his site was getting over 100,000 hits a week from a result of this.......the EOS 1D, 10D, 1Ds, new Mark II's, Nikon D1 series all proved DSLR's have proven potential as genuine film beaters.....now the EOS 20D further pushes the envelope with it's excellent high iso performance and the new maxxum 7 DSLR with it's antishake should be a contender as well......we all win!

.....I'm sure film-pundandts can/will argue this point- but in my mind the DSLR is of age and seeing as to how many pro's are switching to digital- I think the mass user public agrees.

.......but the S5000 is a consumer cam and with todays excellent noise reduction PS actions and programs around- I was just hopiong someone had a fix that can quell the noises from this camera.....it's not horrible but it's no DSLR.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:21 AM   #4

Actually you've just reinforced what I said - "people expect perfectly noise free images". Your comparing a $300 camera with a DSLR costing 5 times that amount and your expecting comparable image quality :?

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 5:54 PM   #5

I wasn't "expecting it" I was wondering if anyone knew of a PS Action or plugin that would remove some of the noise the S5000 generates.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:39 PM   #6

Steven,

I own the S5000 (and D70)... for the first day I owned it, and for the first week, and for the next two months- mostly, what I did was try to remove the awfull noise.

I have two free programs that I use: Neatimage (demo stand-alone) and Noise Ninga(demo plug-in) both were to see if I should buy one of them, instead I bought a DSLR.

That said, I did pay for the S5000 (and D70) with sales of head shots and landscapes within that short time (friends/word of mouth)... so the noise issue was addressed to a point of non-issue.

I did hundreds of noise removals with neat image, and I'd have to say if thats all you have to work with- it ain't bad! But as with everything photo, there is a learning curve to get good results. Mostly here,the default settings are way too strong!... some noise is preferablethan to have:removal artefacts, loss of detail, loss of saturation etc.. The stand alone (demo) will takeTiff or Jpeg but will only output Jpeg, and you have to use the whole image instead of just certain locations where the noise is it's worse (creative use of PS layers can get around this this though time consuming).

I more recently have used the Noise Ninja (demo) plug-in, and that produces a different result... in some cases more mild and easier to stomach, certainly easier to make adjustments as well as work on areas very specific. I like both programs,but if I was going to buyone of them first (definately the plug-in version), it would be Neatimage then NoiseNinja second- but I would want them both.

Hopefully this is usefull information for you. BTW, I lots of times just use "despeckle" in areas ofbackground or in isolated spots. Many of my images are close-up"faces" and generally I wont use any noise removal on that part of the image but will use gaussian blurs and other effects manually.

Bj

~I shoot Jpegs for fun but convert RAW to tiff. when it's more serious, and work in layers- save the original.
Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 8:36 AM   #7

Thanks BJ......I've actually heard about both of those utilities for noise removal- but don't own them. I guess for the most part I'll use the S5000 for non-critical shots where quality is not of paramount importance (web shots). I've owned quite a few DSLR's (10D, D1, SD9, DCS620 etc) and am spoiled by their excellent images- I was just hoping to achieve something similar with the Fuji because of it's diminutive stature and form factor- it's ashame my ole Nikon Coolpix 990 has better photo quality albeit it's old age.........thanks for the feedback!

Some shots with the S5000