Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 23, 2004, 2:47 PM   #1
IC

Can any S5100/s5500 owners tell me if you need a "high speed" memory card to record the highest quality 600x480 30fps video or if any xD card will do.

Thanks

PS typo in the thread heading - should read xD not SD

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:28 PM   #2

there is only two people making xd cards. Actual both are made by the same company sandisk.
drz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 4:58 PM   #3

I was under the impression that only Fuji and Olympus were the only 2 makers of the xd cards:? But then again did I see a scandisk xd card at BestBuy...mmmm. I think if you buy any xd card you should be OK, you will just have to worry about the length with the size of the card

dbrown7
dbrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 5:34 PM   #4

My 16Mb 'fuji' XD card has got 'by Toshiba' wrote on it :roll:

..and as far as I know, and can tell, all XD cards upto 512Mb are pretty much the same speed.

There's a new 1Gb XD coming out soon - *some* Fuji camers will need a firmware update to be able to use them - but there's no info yet as to which cameras that will be.

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:47 PM   #5

All the XD Cards are made by Sandisk. Go to the sandisk website and you will see they have Olympus on the models they display. My understanding is they just OEM them to Fuji and Olympus. They are also all the same speed so no worry there.

host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:24 PM   #6

i really never thought about it but i w ent to ebay and saw some really low bids on the XD memory cards for the fuji cameras most of them were brand new and most sold a lot cheaper than if you purchased one in a local retailer so doesnt hurt to shop on ebay. Oh yeah i ordered the S5100 cant wait to try it out
sincerecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 10:54 PM   #7

I remember reading that the smaller cards, 32MB and less a belive, were slightly slower than the larger xD chips, but other than that, speeds should be nearly identicle. xD is one of the fastest and smallest consumer flash media formats available, thus it is a little more expensive.

Edit: I just read what my 512MB Olympus xD chip said on the back, and it is "By Samsung". I guess there are many manufacturers of xD, whether we know it or not. BTW, it says Olympus on the front.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:34 AM   #8

host wrote:
Quote:
All the XD Cards are made by Sandisk. Go to the sandisk website and you will see they have Olympus on the models they display. My understanding is they just OEM them to Fuji and Olympus. They are also all the same speed so no worry there.

The xD cards were developedby Fuji and Olympus and made by Fuji. They were later made by Toshiba. Sandisk got into the manufacturing by a license agreement with Fuji and Olympus. This is what has brought down the prices--More manufacturing capacity.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:40 AM   #9

Ken,

Reading your posts is just like going to college.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 5:55 PM   #10

CCWKen wrote:
Quote:
host wrote:
Quote:

The xD cards were developed by Fuji and Olympus and made by Fuji. They were later made by Toshiba. Sandisk got into the manufacturing by a license agreement with Fuji and Olympus. This is what has brought down the prices--More manufacturing capacity.
So when did Samsung come into the picture. :?
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote