Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:38 PM   #11

Duster wrote:
Quote:
The CCD of the S7000 does a pretty nice job. The noise problem is apparently due to the over-aggressive jpeg compression used by Fuji. I use raw format instead and find the results very satisfactory.
I have S7000 and like it except for all the noise that I get. I constantly go to Noiseware to clean it up. I tried shooting in Raw and converting with different converters (OEM Fuji which does ok, but no manipulation is allowed; S7000RAW which from my observation doesn't provide correct color balance) and still found it better to shoot in JPG. Do you have some kind of a secret for us? I am shooting indoors mainly with Sunpak 383 Super flash on Auto setting. I found out that if I zoom in and shoot one person (portrait shoots), I get almost no noise; but if I do a landscape shoot (unzoomed), the noise is a big issue. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone might have. If you guys need, I can provide some sample shoots. Thank You.
fujifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:25 PM   #12

Hi fujifan,

Where are you seeing all of this noise, on your monitor at 100-200%? That's where most see noise,pictures from most any digital camera will exhibit some noise/artifacts when viewed at 100-200% on a monitor screen. I rarely see noise in my pics, they print out clean and beautiful, have you done any prints (and if so did you see any noise there?)?

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:02 PM   #13

Thanks for your response, Clyde.

You are right, I see notice when I am above 75% on the screen. I did print qiet a few pictures, mostly 4x6, some 8x10s. They are all good looking shots. Mu friend can a Canon Digital Elph 4 MP camera (very tinny little thing). When I pull his pictures up on my screen at the same percentage, the pictures look a lot better. I am not saying that he has a better camera - I have a lot more functionality with better lens, zoom, flash, and almost on all aspects. I just wish that that noise wouldn't be there - it just bothers me. The interesting thing like I said is that it appears mainly on the indoor shoots with flash (especially when I use my Sunpak). On the outdoor in a good lighting, there is no problems at all in most cases. Again, I understand that 100% view on my monitor is now how the picture will look on paper (unless I print it 20x30). Anything else you can suggest, I would appreciate.

I can't believe that this noise is due to in-camera jpeg compression (some of my RAW files when opened in Paint Shot Pro 9 still look noisy above 75%). Maybe I am just being too picky, sorry guys. I have had this camera almost for a year and still love it. Except for this little issue.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:36 PM   #14

Fujifan,

Of course when you pull up the Cannon and elph at the same percentage it will look better because thats not a fair way to compare them both. The Fuji is a 6MP camera that interpol to 12MP. Take a 12MP shot and then view it at 70% which would be about a 6MP image or even view it at 51% which is a full size 4MP shot. Compare that to the Canon and you will have a better comparison camera to camera.

I think when you look at it that way, you may find that your camera is actually giving you very good quality.

I do however agree with you that it's not all the compression that is causing the noise. Its something in the way the chip works on the camera. I really don't think if you changed the compression ration on the 6MP settings, you would have that much better of an image. If you don't think I am right, take a look at the 12MP fine as compared to the 12MP Normal. There is a difference but its slight and the compression is much higher to get half the file size.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:28 PM   #15

Thanks Host! I100% agree withyou. Like I said, I like my Fuji, just thought that maybe I was doing something wrong especially sense it is mainly indoor shoots where noise is so visible. Maybe one day I could move up to DSLR and avoid any and all of these problems. So far that is what I have to live with. Thanks again. Have a good weekend.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:04 PM   #16

Fujifan,

If I remember correctly, viewing at 100% is a little bigger than 30 x 40. To me the real test of what the camera is doing is how the printed picture looks, I'm sure if you took some great film pics, scanned them at high resolution and looked at them at 100% on a monitor you would find "noise" and artifacts. Take those same noisy pics you have, downsize them and you will most likely have better looking pics on your monitor, but you may have lost some crucial data that you need for printing. The question for you should be "where do I need my pics to look the best, monitor screen or printed?". And your answer will determine how you save and display your pics on your computer.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:31 PM   #17

fujifan,

If your shooting Auto Mode indoors you could be getting a higher ISO that would also raise you noise level. Try shooting "P" mode and then selecting ISO 200. I have noticed that the shots are sometimes noisier If I don't force the ISO.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:31 PM   #18

fujifan,

If your shooting Auto Mode indoors you could be getting a higher ISO that would also raise you noise level. Try shooting "P" mode and then selecting ISO 200. I have noticed that the shots are sometimes noisier If I don't force the ISO.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:16 PM   #19

Host - I am always shooting on P -shooting onauto will not fire mySunpak 383. ISO 200 is always on. Thank You.