Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 24, 2004, 6:11 PM   #1

Hi folks. First time poster here!

I've recently had my beloved s5000 (with 512mb xD card) stolen, and obviously, need to replace it.

The problem being, I can't decide weather to get another s5000, or to go for the s7000, the main reason being is going from 10x optical down to 6x optical.

I did use the full 10x quite often, so I guess it's a case of will the superior image quality of the s7000 make up for the loss of zoom.

I'd appreciate any opinions or views to help me decide.

Thanks

Gaz
Anonymizeruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:07 PM   #2

The 7000 also takes quite a bit larger photo, which would allow you to crop a good bit, and might make up for some of the loss of zoom.

You also might want to check out Fuji's replacement for the s5000, the s5100, it has several improvements over the 5000 and takes a bit larger photo.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:41 PM   #3

I have an S7000 and really like it but I think it depends on what type of shooting you will be doing. The 6X lense will not get you as close as the 10X even when you cosider how much larger the actual photo is. If I were looking at shooting a lot of long distance images such as Birds etc, I think I would have considered the 5100. The 5100 appears to answer the shortcomings of the 5000.

The S7000 does have a good zoom range for most situations. I have been please with the quality of the images and the cameras performance. I also like the option of using a different drive besides the XDCard. I use a 1 GIG Microdrive and it works great but if you already have a XDCard, it willwork also. The S7000 also has a Hot Shoe to attach a flash to the camera. The S7000 is a larger camera than the 5000/5100 so that may be a consideration to you.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:37 PM   #4

After owning the Fuji S5000 for 2 weeks now- I'm really disappointed with it's image quality and of the S5100, 602Z and S7000.....I wish I had gotten a Canon G5 (even used!) over the S5000......I'm trying to make the best of the S5000 as I don't like returning items once I've purchased it....but since it was a relatively cheap purchase ($400 with an extra XD card) it'll do for non-critical shooting (web shots) or as a camera my kids can use when they want.....my old Nikon Coolpix 990 has better image quality- but the S5000 has a great form factor- but the dummy (psuedo) rotating lens barrel took me by surprise as you can't focus manually with it- it's there for looks (or to fool people as I did)......anyway- it's not the worst camera- I'd just recommend something else since your S5000 was stolen!

Good luck with your next purchase.
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:42 PM   #5

The 5000/7000 models all use Fuji's funky "superCCD" chip and it's controversial to say the least. Image quality is good, but not exceptional due to heavy compression and the way these chips interpolate higher images.

Model 5100 which someone else mentioned is a 4MP model that uses a traditional CCD, and the response so far is that the images are "cleaner" than the 5000s were. I'd check out the 5100 if you liked the 5000 so well.

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 8:42 AM   #6

stevenyc1

I'd skip the G5. I sold mine and bought the S7000. The G5 had a bad time with purple fringe and there was Red Eye in most shots. It also seemed to lean heavy on Red. I shot some photos in red rooms and the color drowned out the shots. Low light shooting was also bad.

The S7000 takes great photos IMO. The downside is Fuji. They don't seem to care about their customers opinions. Just write them sometime and you will get a basic form letter response. They won't offer any Flash Updates, you have to buy the next model. Their compression on lower settings is way to high and they don't change. You have to buy what you want when it comes to Fuji and not expect them to change because they wont.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:53 AM   #7

That's sad- I remember the original Canon G2-G3 series cameras were praised for their photo quality- I guess it's plummetted a bit with the larger CCD sensors.....

.....after checking samples from the S7000- I just don't like it....the form factor is good but the image quality just wasn't there for my tastes. I guess some of you guys do like the quality and that's what counts......the panasonic Lumix series seem to render some nice images.....

.....anyway- have fun with your photography and start shopping!

Here's a shot from the S5000......looks nice when viewed at anything under 100% resolution.

[img][/img]
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:59 AM   #8

I would agree that the S7000 is capable of taking some great pics, that opinion is shared by one of the best known professional cat photoraphers in the world, he uses the S7k as his primary backup. His statement was that the S7k is the most misunderstood camera in the world, by both many users and most reviewers. Most of the "noise" complaints I have seen about the S7k come from those that examine pics at 100% or 200% on a computer monitor, or examine a picture pixel by pixel. In my experience the pics I have taken look fine and print out beautifully, all my shooting is now done in 12mp fine orRAW.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:21 AM   #9

Forgot to mention, if you're that concerned about 10x zoom but find that the S7k fits your needs other than that, you can always add a good teleconverter lens like the Olympus tcon-17 which will give you a little better than 10x total (6x times 1.7x = 10.2x).

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:48 PM   #10

The CCD of the S7000 does a pretty nice job. The noise problem is apparently due to the over-aggressive jpeg compression used by Fuji. I use raw format instead and find the results very satisfactory.
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote