Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:57 AM   #11

noslr wrote:
Quote:
6M fine on 512MB CF. Love the handy size of 602. S2 or S3 is just too bulky and heavy. Not suitable to carry around on hiking trip.

TIFF is desirable for the details but slow to save. Last time it took more than half minute to save a 6M Hi picture. Could it be the camera too slow for a 17MB TIFF? :-( I only use it for group photos with over 50 people.

Not sure whether S20Pro can do better on speed. It sure does better on dynamic range. :-)
I've never handled any other Fuji camera, so I can't comment on the S20.

Sounds neat though. =o) I want a s7000, (eh... maybe not, too much noise!)

I think my next camera, will either be something great in the semi-pro level, or a Nikon D70 =o) Heheh!

This is years down the road though

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:13 PM   #12

tlmiller10 wrote:
Quote:
noslr wrote:
Quote:
6M fine on 512MB CF. Love the handy size of 602. S2 or S3 is just too bulky and heavy. Not suitable to carry around on hiking trip.

TIFF is desirable for the details but slow to save. Last time it took more than half minute to save a 6M Hi picture. Could it be the camera too slow for a 17MB TIFF? :-( I only use it for group photos with over 50 people.

Not sure whether S20Pro can do better on speed. It sure does better on dynamic range. :-)
I've never handled any other Fuji camera, so I can't comment on the S20.

Sounds neat though. =o) I want a s7000, (eh... maybe not, too much noise!)

I think my next camera, will either be something great in the semi-pro level, or a Nikon D70 =o) Heheh!

This is years down the road though

-tlmiller10
I am a former 602Z owner. I dropped mine a few months ago, and yes, I do miss it.

As for settings, I found that using the 3M setting atFine was the better choice. I could always recreate a 6Mpic with my software program using a 3M pic.

I now have a Nikon D70. GREAT CAMERA!
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:43 PM   #13

Interesting that one of the photography mags recently gave kudos to the S7000 for it's great control of noise, just saw this mentioned in a thread on Dpreview. I personally have never seen anything I felt to be a noise issue with my S7000, but then I don't spend time looking for it at 100% or 200% on my monitor, I just look at the results of my prints which are great (from 12mp fine soft shots).

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 7:14 PM   #14
Yen

I use the 3M Fine mode with my 602. With a 512M CF card I can take 404 pictures, which is totally sufficient b/c it consumes usually more than one set of batteries! :lol:

I dont understand any reason to use the interpolated options (e.g. 6M in 602, 12M in S7000) in the Fuji SuperCCD cameras. Interpolation is plain "guessing" for few more pixels next to the original ones, so there is no real improvement. Anyway 3Meg is more than enough for my 10cm x 13cm and 13cm x 17cm prints that I order.

If I want to artificially improve my picture's size, I can use PS or PSP to do it! I have then full control over my picture, and at least I have two alternatives to choose from. The original (all real pixels) one and a possible fake one! :-)

The only thing I miss in the camera is 3M TIFF mode.(or even better, RAW!) I dont think Fuji is gonna make a new firmware for us...
Yen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 2:22 PM   #15

I shoot at 6 MP fine, soft, +.6 flash, soft, +/- 1/3 EV, 160 ISO, auto WB, spot photometry and typically in Av mode. This is the startup settings. It can change with circumstances.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 2:24 PM   #16

MikeC wrote:
Quote:
I shoot at 6 MP fine, soft, +.6 flash, soft, +/- 1/3 EV, 160 ISO, auto WB, spot photometry and typically in Av mode. This is the startup settings. It can change with circumstances.
Now I shoot almost the same settings, except I shoot in Priority mode, instead of Apeture mode. =o) Everything else is the same... great results usually. =o) Hehehe...

Cool, thanks for the reply...

-tlmiller10
Old Dec 22, 2004, 2:26 PM   #17

Interesting observation that the camera is faster at 3 MP N than it is at 6 MP N ... the camera always takes a 6 MP interpolated image ... that is the nature of the CCD used. To get a 3 MP image, the camera has to down sample the interpolated 6MP image ... It seems to me this adds a small amount of time ... so 3 MP logically seems slower ... though very slighly ... than 6 MP

Mike
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 2:32 PM   #18

MikeC wrote:
Quote:
Interesting observation that the camera is faster at 3 MP N than it is at 6 MP N ... the camera always takes a 6 MP interpolated image ... that is the nature of the CCD used. To get a 3 MP image, the camera has to down sample the interpolated 6MP image ... It seems to me this adds a small amount of time ... so 3 MP logically seems slower ... though very slighly ... than 6 MP

Mike

I seem to like the 6MP fine photos better than a 3MP file, when some people argue about the interpolation. Some claim that the 6MP file has too much artifacting, and jaggies... (while zoomed 1:1 ratio on your computer), and looks better at 3MP mode. But who is printing from this camera at 8x10 or above? Very few people, if you're a proffesional, you've probably moved onto a better camera *CoughNIKOND70/CANON(insert model here)Cough*

Hehe... I would if I had the money, but I'ma brand new user... and loving it!

-tlmiller10
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:24 PM   #19

Hi!

I just got this camera this week ( a christmas present to myself!)

I've got a compact flash card in it (256mb)

I've found that it's taking a good while to write to the card in 6mp

Does the camera work with compact flash 11

It's supposed to be much quicker!!

Regards

Jonathan
morgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:56 PM   #20

Well... is it a high speed card, and what brand is it? Lexar, Kingston, etc?

SO... Answer that, and then I can help diagnose it a little better. Also, you have the s602z? Is it a new camera in the box, or a refurbished one? All of these answers can help diagnose the problem a little better.

Oh, go ahead and time how long it takes to take a photo. I will mention that even with a high speed card in TIFF mode, which is the Highest quality setting it takes my Kingston High Speed Ultra II 512 MB card about 20 secs to write to the card. If I turn it off and use the Fine mode at the 6 megapixel setting, it writes the file in about 3-4 seconds tops.

I would also recommend setting the in camera settings like this. Either 6MP(Megapixel) mode with SOFT shapening (normal and hard work, but take away and eat at the fine details of your photo).

Or 3MP mode, with FINE setting. Either one of those will produce good printable quality at the soft sharpening settings.

If you find the photos not sharp enough I would recommend playing around with the UNSHARP MASK settings in either, Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop, or comperable photo package.

If there are any other questions ask away, and I'll either find out or point you to someone who knows.

Enjoy the camera, there's SO much you can do with it!

-tlmiller10
Tim