Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:22 PM   #1

What megapixel settings do you use in your Fuji s602z? (applies to all current and past users)

TIFF mode? 6MP Fine? 3 MP Fine Mode?

Let me know and voice your opinion on the best settings for this classic camera.

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2004, 1:54 PM   #2

19 views and no replies? No one has an opinion? I joined this forum because of the good ideas passed from users to users, and no one has an opinion when I post?

I would go join dpreview.com but I can't, they require a "domain" email address to sign up with, and all I have is my gmail.com account.

*bump* Please reply if you have anything good to say... Thank you!

-tlmiller10
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:13 AM   #3

I am a current user of 602zoom and take most of my pics on 3 m normal,but I believe you should always take every pic on the highest possible setting your camera will allow.The reason I only take them on lower setting is because on 6m high the camera is far too slow.
cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:15 AM   #4

I feel the shot to shot time for the 6MP Fine setting is the best marriage of quality and speed. I love this camera so much... How long have you owned your camera?

I got mine off of Ebay for a steal... =o)

-tlmiller10
Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:03 PM   #5

I also love my 602 and would not part with it. I have had it for close on 2 years now.
cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:17 PM   #6

I'm advised that the S602 processes images at 6M and, dependent upon the camera setting, resizes accordingly.

However, from my experience, I've found it best to set it to 3M and use the fine compression setting resulting in an image size of nominally 1.5M.

Either use Smartmedia or a fast CF Card for best writing speed performance.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:23 PM   #7

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
I'm advised that the S602 processes images at 6M and, dependent upon the camera setting, resizes accordingly.

However, from my experience, I've found it best to set it to 3M and use the fine compression setting resulting in an image size of nominally 1.5M.

Either use Smartmedia or a fast CF Card for best writing speed performance.

While I've seen and heard that the 3mp mode is quite good, there's still the resizing going on in the camera. I have found the 6MP mode with soft sharpening with post processing including typically, a little bit of gamma correction, and unsharp mask (with ilberal settings).

=o) I like a large image to work from, if I want it smaller, I'll resize it with 1%compression (usually adds, megs to the file... in Paint Shop Pro 6, weird!)

=oP

-tlmiller10
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:30 PM   #8

I always use the 6MP Fine, I have a 512 meg CF card. I would use the Tiff more often but it takes to long to process the picture.
its_451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:33 PM   #9

its_451 wrote:
Quote:
I always use the 6MP Fine, I have a 512 meg CF card. I would use the Tiff more often but it takes to long to process the picture.
exactly. =o)

you can see sample photos (all large format, beware!) at http://www.quantumdefect.com/tlmiller10/samples/

=o)

Enjoy!

-tlmiller10
Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:08 AM   #10

6M fine on 512MB CF. Love the handy size of 602. S2 or S3 is just too bulky and heavy. Not suitable to carry around on hiking trip.

TIFF is desirable for the details but slow to save. Last time it took more than half minute to save a 6M Hi picture. Could it be the camera too slow for a 17MB TIFF? :-( I only use it for group photos with over 50 people.

Not sure whether S20Pro can do better on speed. It sure does better on dynamic range. :-)
noslr is offline   Reply With Quote