Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 27, 2004, 11:03 AM   #1

I am a FujiFilm camera owner looking to upgrade, down to two cameras, s5100 and the Minolta Z3. vignetting doesn't bother me I'll probably crop that outanyway, but anti shake ability does interest me. I noticed in Steve's conclusion on the Z3 that "even though it has anti shake you should still use tripod"and on his review of s5100 he states that "the lens is fast and allows for higher shutter speeds reducing the likelihood of shots being ruined by camera shake at long focal lengths."

Does anyone have information about the s5100 vs. blurred pictures at long focal lenghts?

Price is leaning me toward the s5100 but if pictures taken at long focal lenghts hand held are blurred I already have that in my old 4900 6x zoom.

Thanks for reading my post and for your replies.
robwmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:21 PM   #2

On the Minolta A1's and A2's the anti shake gives you about 2 stops worth of slower shutter speeds before camera shake becomes a problem. I can hand hold my s7000 at full zoom down to about 1/8 second on a good day - I've managed to hand hold a Minolta A1 at 1/2 second and still got a stable image.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...ew/index.shtmlshows a nice example of anti-shake in practice.

You have to weigh up the advantages of anti-shake against the relatively noisy images at the higher ISO ratings - if the images on the reviews at www.dcresource.comare anything to go by - most of the advantages are nulled by the need to use a slower ISO to get the same image noise -compare the 200ISO images and you'll see what I mean.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:55 PM   #3

Thanks for your responce to my question about anti shake, I followed the link you gave and read the review. Forgive me because I'm a novice and sometimes don't understand all the info but it seems you are refering to the fact that the picture quality is not as good with the Z3 as it is with the s5100.

In order to get the nice anti shake I would give up picture quality?
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:02 PM   #4

robwmc wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your responce to my question about anti shake, I followed the link you gave and read the review. Forgive me because I'm a novice and sometimes don't understand all the info but it seems you are refering to the fact that the picture quality is not as good with the Z3 as it is with the s5100.

In order to get the nice anti shake I would give up picture quality?
Not as such no. Let me give you an example. On the s5000 the noise at 200ISO is about the same as the Z3 at 50ISO (if the review images are anything to go by)- that's 2 stops difference.If you were taking a photo on the Z3 (at 50ISO) and it required1/15th second exposure and therefore required anti-shake, on the s5000 at (200ISO) you would have the same exposure at 1/60th second and would probably get away without antishake.

That's a really simplistic example. Antishake is a nice feature to have - especially at full telephoto - but to my eye the Z3 has images that are just a bit too noisy. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/z3_pg5.htmlseems to about sum up the way I feel about it - it was on my shortlist for a while but I didn't like the feel of it as a camera to be honest.

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:10 PM   #5

Thanks again for your comments. I downloaded the pictures of the boats on the beach from both cameras and I have to agree the s5100 picture looks much better to me. Although it was hard at first to an untrained eye but as I flipped back and forth between the two and zoomed in with my viewer program I began to see a lot more noise on the z3.

I've used a Fujifilm 4900 zoom for about 3 years now and never could take very good zoom pictures without blurred results thats whyI'm just plain scared of getting into the same problem with s5100. I guess I need to learn more about ISO and shutter speed.

I did try out the Z3 and it does feel flimsy. Like its missing something. I've also held the s5100 and it felt comfortable.

Thanks for your time and insight.... got to make up my mind here soon.

Could someone post a handheld zoom shot with s5100?
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:25 AM   #6

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau/images5/Pic04.jpg

The above picture is in a numerical sequence of five shots. To gain some idea of the magnification; replace that final numeral with a 5.

The posted sequence (01-05) were cropped and reduced, then posted on my pages on the evening of the day they were taken:07-Nov-2004. Pic02.jpg does exhibit a slight degree of camera shake.

These were the first photos taken outdoors with this model . . . marketed here as the s5500. I would reccomend a tripod, or even one with unopenned legs used as a monopod, with a camera such as this -- when using higher magnification with its zoom lens! You can't break the laws of physics. Telescopes are mounted on rigid mounts for a reason.
vortexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:41 AM   #7

Wow... all the way in Australia huh..... Thanks for sending your link to your pictures but I was only able to view one. The link sends me to pic 4.jpg. How far away from the subject were you? Well thanks again for your time. Maybe you can send me a link to see all the pictures.