Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:55 PM   #1

Hello,

I purchased a F810 webcam recently and it works great and takes excellent shots with tonnes of features.. only problem is with the webcam.

I'm running XP Home Edition SP2. When I plug it in using Web for the USB connection mode, it detects and appears in Device Manager and in "My Computer". When I click "USB Video Device" from MY Computer I can see what the camera is showing, take still images, etc. When I go into MSN Messenger, I can select the camera in the "Audio/Video Tuning Wizard" without problem. However, if I go into "Web Camera Settings" it says that the camera is either in use or being used by another program. This is absolutely not the case. I have no other open windows at all. So if I try to use it as a webcam MSN window displays a message saying that due to technical problems a webcam session cannot be started. So it doesn't say that it can't detect a camera, but that there's some other problem. I check task manager and there are no unusual processes (I'm very familiar with what processes run on my machine at any given time) and no other windows open.

I've had one other F810 user confirm that this happens for them too. I've emailed Fuji - are there any other ways to get Fuji to fix this as I'm pretty sure it's a USB driver bug with XP SP2.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have the camera in the dock, mounted on a tripod, with the power slider bar set to OFF, and am using the power button on the dock as the instruction manual says. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Please feel free to email me directly (bwiper-at-hotmail.com).

Regards,
Ben Wiper
nuclearw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:37 PM   #2

I geta similar issue when using my TV capture card in MSN Messenger - works fine in Audio/Video Tuning Wizard, works within Messenger - but it doesn't even seem to be there on the Web Camera Settings dialog. :?

Not sure if its a driver issue or a Messenger issue though - probably a bit of both.

There's doesn't seem to be many MSN Messenger help forums out there on the quick search I just did - http://www.wackyb.com/zzub/index.php?act=portalis about all that comes up looking useful.

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:25 PM   #3

Thanks Harvey. I'll keep searching. I hope Fuji pays attention to this, although I know it takes a while for fixes to come out..

Cheers,
Ben
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:08 AM   #4

I am having the same problem with a Fuji finepix s5500

After much fighting, I got windows to detect it as a capture device. It shows up like a webcam under my computer. But neither MSN or Yahoo will detect it properly.

Msn tries .. get it at first .. but then complains later.

I see you guys are having the same problem

Have any of you found a solution ?

Thanks,

Steed.
steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:51 AM   #5

After re-reading the manual I found out that the finepix webcam only works as a videoconferencing device, and not as for webcam as an individual option, strangely enough. So you'll have to choose "Start Videoconference" in Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger for it to work properly as a webcam . Hopefully Fuji comes out with a feature add-on soon.

Cheers,

BEn
Old Dec 19, 2004, 3:42 PM   #6

What is the general feeling on the f810?

I like the camera, I'm just wondering if it's prone to handheld blurring when zoomed, and whether it can photograph low light.

Any advice appreciated. I'm comparing with the Sony 150.
Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:55 PM   #7

My general feeling is that it's a really good camera and takes sharp pictures but it's certainly not a point a shoot kind of camera so I'm still learning how to use it optimally. As for low-light, I've been disappointed with how it works - often, pictures turn out darker with the flash on then with the flas off in low-light situations (I'm shooting in automatic mode). Blur while zoomed in hasn't been much of a problem though, so long as the lighting is good.

Cheers,

Ben
Old Dec 26, 2004, 12:31 AM   #8

i had the same problem with my fuji s3500 but i read the manual and found out you need to use windows messenger 5.1

available here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

u must also be on windows xp sp1 or later (ive got sp2)

this fixed it and you go to 'send camera' in the 'actions' menu of
the conversation window

by the way, shame on you people for making me register just so i can help someone
philanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:03 PM   #9

I have just purchased an e510 and am having the same problems with the webcam not working in both yahoo and messenger. Was wondering if you had had any feedback.
Jamie Macmillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:30 PM   #10

Hello,

The webcam does not work as only a web camera. When you want to use it in Messenger (Windows or MSN) you must "Start a Videoconference" for the camera to work as a webcam. It will NOT work if you just "Send Camera". for whatever reason it only works in videoconference mode.

Cheers,

Ben