Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 29, 2004, 3:45 PM   #1

I have left several posts over various sites and have had little to know feedback. I would like to know what people think of the S5100 and what else people would recommend. I have a S5100 on order and want to be sure before I accept.

Thanks for any feedback
Craxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:22 PM   #2
Administrator

The Ultra Zoom modelswith stabilized lenses are more popular right now. So, this model probably has a much smaller market share. It's also a relatively new model. So, I'd guess that not a lot of users here have one yet.

I don't think they're ignoring you or anything (it's probably just that nobody with this camera has seen your posts yet).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:30 PM   #3

The panasonic FZ15 has IS buy also cost $100.00 more. Is it really that important? I guess I'm more wondering about pic quality, reliability, ease of use and those type of things. I will not be doing serious photography. Just your basic family events, kids pets, etc.

I didn't think I was being ignored just on a bit of a timeline :?and trying to get make the right choice
Craxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:37 PM   #4

Craxim wrote:
Quote:
I have left several posts over various sites and have had little to know feedback. I would like to know what people think of the S5100 and what else people would recommend. I have a S5100 on order and want to be sure before I accept.

Personally I do my research before I order things :G

Have you been on http://www.s5000.net/forums/yaBB/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl? You might get a better answerfrom there...
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:45 PM   #5
Administrator

Craxim wrote:
Quote:
The panasonic FZ15 has IS buy also cost $100.00 more. Is it really that important? I guess I'm more wondering about pic quality, reliability, ease of use and those type of things. I will not be doing serious photography. Just your basic family events, kids pets, etc.
Well, the benefits of IS will depend on the conditions you'll be shooting in. At longer focal lengths (more zoom), camera shake is magnified greatly. So, if the lighting levels aren't good enough, you can get some motion blur with a long zoom camera when using a lot of zoomif you don't use a tripod.

But, you may only take a small percentage of your photos at maximum zoom, and the lighting conditions may be good enough so that you'll have fast enough shutter speeds anyway. It also depends on the conditions you use it in.

No one camera is perfect for every user, in every shooting condition (just like no one vehicle is perfect for every driver on every type of road). Each has pros and cons.

If you think that IS is something that you may want/need, weigh it's benefits carefully with other factors (read the conclusion sections in the reviews here, where you'll find pros and cons of a modeldiscussed -- Viewfinder usability, autofocus lag, flashusability, image quality indoors and outdoors, etc.).

It's usually a good idea to do the research on pros and cons, before ordering a camera. ;-)

I'd also recommend test drivingmodels you are considering in a store before buying. There is a big difference between ergonomics, weight, size, control layout, menus, etc. (and what one user likes, another may not).

For example, the Panasonic you mentioned is a larger and heavier model compared to the Fuji S5100 (but Panasonic does make a smaller 3 Megapixel model, the DMC-FZ3, that actually resolves as much detail on resolution charts as some of the 4 Megapixel models).

But, you may appreciate the EVF behavior of the Fuji more (or something else about it -- the way colors look from it's photos, it's control layout, etc.). There is no one perfect choice for all users.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 5:54 PM   #6

I have the S5100 for a few weeks now and am extremly happy with it. In test results against the Cannon Z3 (not sure the number) the S5100 has much clearer pictures. The color is vibrant, the camera is easy to use. Feels great in your hand not like one of those small cameras. Read the reviews on the web for more information.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:59 PM   #7

See this thread for som pics...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16
drz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:10 PM   #8

I am currently using a S5100.....I am have only taken a couple good pics indoors with it out of 100 shots or so. Not sure what I am doing wrong but the indoor shots do not come close to my Cybershot DSC-51 (2 mp). Very disapointing. Other than that the zoom shots are great and the all around feel of the camera are great.
irobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:55 PM   #9

I spent a long time researching before I bought my FujiS5100.So far,I am thrilled by this camera.I would recommend it to you above anything else in this price range.All the professional reviews(and there are a lot) have been very generous in their praise.The man in the street(like you and I) has been harder to find.I suggest that you go to http://www.dcviews.com/share.htm and look in the Fuji Talk Forum.Lots of experience and strong opinions there.After that you can make your choice and I will be surprised(very) if you do not choose the 5100. Cheers and all the best for 2005.
Geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:36 AM   #10

irobot wrote:
Quote:
I am currently using a S5100.....I am have only taken a couple good pics indoors with it out of 100 shots or so. Not sure what I am doing wrong but the indoor shots do not come close to my Cybershot DSC-51 (2 mp). Very disapointing. Other than that the zoom shots are great and the all around feel of the camera are great.
You just have to experiment with your camera here are some night shots I did. No flash was used and i was holding the camera with my hand no tripod.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16
drz01 is offline   Reply With Quote