Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:25 AM   #1

software / firmware updates upgrades

as far as i see it this camera is like a computer. it has controls and it controls hardware inside its self. why cant i find some software to change or customise the way it works. for example its only software thatkeeps the shutter (hardware)open, so why canti get some software to keep it open longer. is anybody out there smart enought to do this. i cant see any thing on the fuji site.
pigsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:28 AM   #2
Administrator

The firmware is stored in EEPROM, and is proprietary to a manufacturer. So, they don't publish how it works. Now, you do see some hacked firmware from time to time (where users have figured out how to disassemble the code and make some changes). But, I have not seen any for the Fuji models.

Usually, the hacker needs a firmware file to start out with (i.e., a manufacturer has come out with a firmware upgrade for a model), since it's hard to figure out how to get a firmware dump from a camera (of course, you could buy an EEPROM reader and software tools to get to it if you really wanted totake one apart and give it a go).

So, the hackersmodify an existing firmware upgrade instead (file downloadable from a manufacturer that offers an upgrade), and then let the normal upgrade process use their hackedfirmware, instead of the one the manufacturer supplied for an upgrade.

Now, there are a very small number of models that hacked firmware is available for, and most of the time, the hacks are very simple (flipping a few bits to activate features already present).

So, it's very unlikely that you'll ever see a hacked firmware version for your S5000.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:36 AM   #3

Why would you want to keep the shutter open longer? The S5000 is too noisy @ 2 sec., why ask for more.

Most of theissues with the S5000 have been corrected with the S5100/S5500 model:

4 mp regular CCD (less noise/better resolution),15 sec shutter, histogram, ISO 64 - 400 (instead of 200-800),custom white balance, 2 sec & 10 sec timer, and "SP" mode settings are on the dial (instead of in the menu). There might be a couple of other things or not.

Fuji has decided not to provide firmware updates for most of their cameras incl. the S5000, instead they offer the improved version (S5100/S5500) for those who may be unsatisfied.

Bj
Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 7:58 PM   #4

its not just that i would want to keep the shutter open longer, some kind of upgrade to bring it closer to the 5500 would be benificial. i not going to buy another camera that is so similar 12 months after the 5000!
pigsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:28 PM   #5

Oh I know where you're coming from. The s5100 was in the stores one month after I bought mine- I guess you know how I felt...didI buy the replacement model? No, I bought the Nikon D70. Will I ever buy a Fuji in the future? No.
Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote