Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 24, 2002, 10:43 PM   #1
Ro1

Default Fuji 3800 vs Oly c 730

I've read the reviews that Steve did on both of these and still cannot make up my mind which of these two i should purchase.

Ultimately which one will give me the better images? I can't see a difference in the sample photos. My camera ability is strictly point and shoot at this stage. Is it worth spending the extra $240 that the 730 costs in Australia for features I may never use and the extra zoom. On auto setings can someone tell me which produces the better picture? Also which has the least CA and shutter lag?
Regards,
rowan
Ro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2002, 3:37 AM   #2
Ro1

Well i guess no one else knows anything about these two cameras either 'cos I received no replies. I will admit its been only a couple of days. FYI I bought the 730 Now I'll probably receive a flurry of replies indicating the fiji was better.
Rowan
Old Oct 29, 2002, 9:49 AM   #3

Well sorry I didn’t see your post earlier. I have been looking for a camera for AGES and settled on these two you have mentioned. The Fuji is ergonomically better and MUCH cheaper. It also has 1 minute movie mode which is great. The Olympus has video out, variable ISO, stitching and 12 frame burst mode which IMHO means it is a better camera than the Fuji. The extra zoom is pretty much useless because without a stabalised lens it becomes VERY tricky to compose a good shot.

I decided the extra features I mentioned are not worth the extra cost, the attachable wide angle lens on the Olympus is far too big as well. I am in Canada but I am from OZ And frankly, we in OZ get so ripped off it’s scary. So in summary … I am going for the fuji.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 6:24 AM   #4
Ro1

Hi alfisti,
I was all for the fuji until i actually got my hands on them both. The 730 i found easier to hold and the EVF was a lot clearer.
Despite what the specs say the movie mode is the 730 was not limited to 16 secs but dependant on the card size and zoom in movie works. The additional features the 730 has i hope i will grow into.

It took me a long time to make up my mind which to buy. As they are both relatively new it has been hard to get opinions from users. .The fuji certainly seem a very fine camera and the quality of the pictures I have seen posted are excellent. guess i will have to wait and see if i made the right decision when the camera arrives. hopefully early next week, unfortunately the Melbourne Cup public holiday will delay delivery.
Rowan
Old Nov 20, 2002, 4:27 PM   #5

I considered the 2800 vs the 720, and found that the 2800 was a better price (by $250 Cdn), and that the viewfinder was not SHARPER on the Oly, but had somewhat higher contrast. In reality, I found that the higher contrast of the Oly's viewfinder was not representative of the actual scene. Whether it might help in seeing a poorly lit or low contrast target could not be determined at the brightly lit store. As mentioned elsewhere the 10x zoom appealed, but without an image stabilizer (like in the Oly 2100) it might not be of much value (I don't carry a full size tripod with me on shoots, jusy a combo C-clamp/minipod). Outside of shots of wildlife at hundreds of meters distance, the 6x zoom covers most of my needs, and I have no complaints about image quality either on my monitor or in 8x10" prints (even with my inexpensive Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 842c on generic high gloss paper).
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 6:32 PM   #6

How accurate is the EVF on the fuji 2800 in regards to the printed colours, tone, contrast, brightness etc etc.??
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 12:35 PM   #7

There are TWO kinds of images shown by the EVF on the 2800: the preview and the post view. The preview has a different tint than the post view. The post view seems the more accurate (the preview is a series of many "action" frames (like movie mode): the post view is a "static" view of the saved picture. There is no way to set any LCD/EVF to match a printer's output or even a monitor's output. All three will be different, unless you do a professional matching with appropriate software to get the monitor and print output to match. Then the EVF/LCD will just be different from the matched monitor/printer. As you view the EVF and LCD under totally different conditions (no external light with the EVF, lots of external light on the LCD), they will seldom seem to match either.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 12:26 PM   #8

Default c730 v 3800

Seems to me the decision is between the c-730 and the s602. At least, that the decision I'm trying to make. I will be posting a thread on this question in both the Fuji and Oly forums.

-Allan
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:04 AM   #9

Seems to me the decision is between the c-730 and the s602. At least, that the decision I'm trying to make. I will be posting a thread on this question in both the Fuji and Oly forums.

-Allan

That was the choice I was making, I ordered the s602 yesterday.
sue t.
sue turner is offline   Reply With Quote