Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 17, 2004, 6:44 AM   #1

I just recently bought a Fujifilm A330 3.2 megapixel digital camera. There are times when I want to take a picture without flash, but I noticed that when I take pictures without flash in low light, the pictures come out blurry if there is any kind of movement. On the other hand, when I take outdoor pictures, or pictures with the flash turned on, the pictures come out great. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to correct that problem, but I'm assuming that I'll probably just have to get a digital camera that costs a little more, or with an adjustable shutter speed. Any reply's would be great, or if anybody could recommend a digital camera that's within a decent price range, that would be great also. Thanks.
ADRIAN361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:30 AM   #2

The short answer is yes, you will have to get a much more expensive camera to take available light pictures indoors. If you look at the EXIF information you will probably see something on the order of ΒΌ second shutter speed for your indoor shots without flash. That isn't enough to handhold without inducing blur and anything moving will really blur. You could put the camera on a tripod and everything would be sharp that isn't moving.

Download the free EXIF Image Viewer and look at the shutter speeds of the blurred shots: http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:59 PM   #3

Sorry about the capitals, i have a bad habit of leaving the caps lock on, I didn't mean for it to seem as though I was shouting. Thanks for the advice, I just got done editing my post.
ADRIAN361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:05 AM   #4
Administrator

ADRIAN361 wrote:
Quote:
I just recently bought a Fujifilm A330 3.2 megapixel digital camera. There are times when I want to take a picture without flash, but I noticed that when I take pictures without flash in low light, the pictures come out blurry if there is any kind of movement. On the other hand, when I take outdoor pictures, or pictures with the flash turned on, the pictures come out great. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to correct that problem, but I'm assuming that I'll probably just have to get a digital camera that costs a little more, or with an adjustable shutter speed.
Adjustable shutter speed won't help anything if the light is not bright enough, and the camera's lens is not bright enough. The camera must keep the shutter open long enough for proper exposure of the image. Otherwise, you'll get underexposed photos. You could easily spend several times as much as your Fuji A330 costs, and still have a problem with motion blur indoors without a flash. The lens on your Fuji starts out at f/2.8 at it's wide angle position (typical for most models), losing brightness as more zoom is used (it stops down to f/5.6 at full zoom).

The shutter speeds you'll be able to achieve will depend on 3 factors: EV (Exposure Value, which is how light is measured), Aperture, and ISO speed.

Atypical home interior (with lights on), has an EV (Exposure Value) of around 6 (this is how light is measured). Lighting will vary from home to home though.

See this table to get an idea of shutter speeds you'll have in different lighting. It's based on ISO 100; so each time you double the ISO speeds, you can use shutter speeds twice as fast.

http://home.earthlink.net/~terryleedawson/dcnotes/tables.htm

Your A330 does not have adjustable ISO speeds (most models do). However, increasing ISO speed will increase noise levels (similar to film grain).

But, you'd need to go with ISO 400 in typical lighting, shooting at wide angle with a model that has a lens starting out at f/2.8,just to get shutter speeds up to around 1/30 second (while still properly exposing the image).

The "rule of thumb" is shutter speeds of 1/focal length or faster to prevent blur from camera shake. So, if you're shooting at near wide angle (around 35mm equivalent focal length on most models), you'd want shutter speeds of 1/35 second or faster. Now, this is assuming that your subject is stationary (versus a moving person, since you'll get motion blur from subject movement).

If you use zoom with most models, shutter speeds will be slower (because less light reaches the sensor through the lens when using zoom with most lenses). With your Fuji, about4 times as much light reaches the sensor at it's wide angle setting, versus full zoom. Also, your shutter speeds would need to be faster as more zoom is used (since the extra magnification also magnifies camera shake).

Your best bet for existing light photos without a flash or tripod is a DSLR model with a bright lens. The Canon Digital Rebel using a 50mm f/1.8 (non zoom) lens is a popular choice. This model can shoot at higher ISO speeds with lower noise compared to the non-DSLR models (because it has a much larger sensor, with larger photosites for each pixel that are capable of gathering more light).

If your subject is not moving, you could try a model with a stabilized zoom lens (but noise will still be high if higher ISO speeds are used).You can also use a tripod if you have a stationary subject. Another thing youcouldtry is to find a model with a brighter lens.The Canon G3 (discontinued 4MP model with an f/2.0-3.0 lens) is popular for lower light (less noise than some of the newer models as ISO speeds are increased, but still much higher than a DSLR). The discontinued Sony DSC-F717 would be another model to consider (f/2.0-2.4 lens with a 2/3" 5MP CCD).Other lowercost options would be a used Olympus C-4040z or C-3040z model (these had f/1.8-2.6 lenses).

Again, your best bet for existing light photos without a flash or tripod is a DSLR with a bright lens (Canon Digital Rebel, Nikon D70, etc.). DSLR models will work much better in lower light as ISO speeds are increased, compared to any of the non-DSLR models (which have much smaller sensors).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote