Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 18, 2004, 1:09 PM   #1

hello to everyone.i am from greece and i want to know what's the difference about the finepix s5500 and the finepix s5100 .please answer to my question because i don't know much and i want to buy the finepix s5500.also i want to know if the 10x optical zoom is trully 10x optical or it's a marketing trick . my regards to everyone
eyris2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 1:40 PM   #2

There is no difference between the S5100 and the S5500.

The 10x zoom is truly 10x optical.
drw766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:07 PM   #3

The 5100 is the US model, and the 5500 the EU model.
I guess there is only a differince with the lens color.

In a few day's i'll recieve my s5500.
I want to know if he is better in taking close up pictures in dark rooms, because i just took a few pictures with the Sony f828 8MP and they are to white (flash) but it may be an preference.

I chose the s5500 because i've downloaded a lot of sample-pictures from steve of different camera's, and i like the s5500 most of all (S3 is worse,s2 better,olympus even or with a litle bit noise)
I hope i recieve value 4 my money (it's only f4 my hobby ;-))
DeNB3rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:43 AM   #4

in a fotography lesson one of my teachers told my that the 10x optical can't adapt in the body of the main machine,so the optical zoom who is about 6x transforming to digital zoom
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:55 PM   #5

eyris2004 wrote:
Quote:
in a fotography lesson one of my teachers told my that the 10x optical can't adapt in the body of the main machine,so the optical zoom who is about 6x transforming to digital zoom
That sounds about right for a 'fotography' teacher - one who hasabsolutely no idea what they are talking about....
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 1:53 PM   #6

you can use the 10x optical zoom+ you can zoom more with the digital zoom (i guess)
DeNB3rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:48 PM   #7

eyris2004 wrote:
Quote:
Your teacher was right if he refers to 35mm film camera. But we are now talking about digi cam; which is different.
The length of 35mm film is 35mm; which is about slightly less
than 1 1/2 inch.
Whereas length size of s5500 CCD is only 1/2.7 inch.
CCD size is very much smaller than a 35mm film. Therefore the
length of 50mm lens from a film camera is about triple if you
were to attach it to a digital cam with 1/2.7 inch CCD.
Also, a smaller CCD makes it possible to have a large aperture (F2.8) throughout its telephoto range at 370mm.
A conventional 300mm lens with F2.8 is very huge and heavy and it cost alot more.
So we are lucky to be able to get a telephoto with large aperture and yet pay a moderate prize for it. Hurray!!!!!!!!
john_lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:16 AM   #8

I am with John, yay
algea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:32 AM   #9

According to the manual you can only use the digital zoom if you are in either, I think the 03m mode. Either that mode, or maybe 1 megapixel mode. So the Digital zoom doesnt apply to standard 4mp shots.
sulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:38 PM   #10

hi to everyone finally i take the camera and the guys of the forum was right about the optical zoom .but the problems never end.please if someone knows about camera's settings and have same photos to saw'me please contact with me or give me an address to visit with the photos and with the setting of them because the fuckin teacher is in his world and doesn't care about the cameras