Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 13, 2002, 5:31 PM   #11

Hbob...Sounds like your 3800 needs the laser pointer then! I wish I'd known about this when I bought my first 1Mpix cam!

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4143
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 2:45 PM   #12

I have a 2800, and find that low light situations are a challenge for focusing. I can usually find a bright enough spot somewhere to pre-focus on. If NOTHING is focusable, just set the camera to full wide angle: everything beyond 3 feet should be in acceptable focus (like a fixed focus camera). I have no problems with hand-holding full zooms if in full daylight. Most cameras with a zoom greater than 200mm should have some stable support for maximum sharpness, not just the 2800/3800. I am adding a shot taken hand-held at 228mm to my MentorRon gallery at http://www.pbase.com/mentorron/my_finepix_2800_
if you wish to check it out (it's a shot of a heron at the beach at low tide).
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 10:19 PM   #13

Default Re: Wanted - Opinions on the Fuji 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Carcot
I am new to this board and would appreciate any comments you can share. I am looking for a new digital camera (I have a 3 year old, 1 megapixel, H/P camera) I've been reading the reviews on several digital camera boards and have my selection narrowed down to: Fujifilm 3800, Minolta F100 and the Sony P7. I really like the features of the Fuji 3800 (6x zoom, electronic thru the lense viewfinder, etc.) but am not sure if I am going to like lugging a big camera around.

If I could get some opinions on the 3 cameras', especially the Fuji 3800. I am basically a point and shoot guy but want to become a better picture taker so am hoping these cameras will fill both ends of my wish list. Thanks in advance for your comments!

I have read that the Fuji 6x zoom takes blurry pictures at the highest zoom unless it is on a tripod. Is this the general consensu?? or bad ifo??
I have used the 3800 for about three weeks and I have issues with the low light focussing etc but that is just a minor annoyance.(at this point). As far as tyhe issue of handholding a moderately long telephoto lens in bright sunlight go for it! In low light use a steady stance camera cradled in left hand right grasping the shutter release and elbows tucked in to rib cage and breath out and hold your breath squeeze the button. I know it sounds complicated but I have used this technique for years with film cameras and it becomes second nature after awhile. I recommend that you check the various cameras handle them see how they feel in your hand etc. I think you wil choose the 3800 for the lens and it's ease of use. One of the possible reasons for the blurry pictures some people are experiencing may be due to fact that the digital zoom is at fault. this automatically kicks in when you use the zoom function to its max. you have to watch the block move to the top and it pauses (very briefly) before moving into the digital zoom, that is one of my main beefs. I wish there was a way to disable this cropping feature! 8)
bernard knockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 7:48 AM   #14

Well folks, here is my official users report, I’m going to do a “Steve’s” . I can’t post pics yet because I need to wait a week or so until I can use the gorlfriends PC (I move in there in a few days).

Basic Premise: Big zoom, “mid-level” camera with some manual options but certainly “point and shoot”.

Basic Specs: 3.2MP, 60 sec movie mode with sound, 38-228mm lens, voice memo on all pics.

RRP: $CDN699 without batteries, charger, case or big XD card.

Only Competitor: Olympus C-730 with a 38-380mm lens (unstabalised) and more manual settings. RRP$CDN850 without above-mentioned accessories.

PROS:

- SHUTTER SPEED: SENSATIONAL. Very close to a 35mm camera, VERY close. This is the biggest problem with digicams and when you look at user reviews of the Oly C730 it is not as fast as the Fuji.

- PICTURE QUALITY:. Beautiful shots, AUTO mode produces wonderful photos, the camera is idiot proof really. Sharp shots with great saturated colour. A very strong flash compared to any point and shoot I have used before.

- MENU/NAVIGATION SYSTEM:: Absolutely brilliant. It’s SO DAMN EASY, someone has spent a lot of time on this because it works beautifully. In 10 minutes I had everything sussed, and there is a LOT to fiddle with, because it all made sense.

- EASE OF USE: The camera is “intelligent”. It will let you know if you should have your flash on or if your hand is too shaky or if you should maybe re-focus. Naturally, in manual mode it let’s you do what you want. I can’t emphasise how easy this thing is to use. The gorlfriend just doesn’t meld with techno gadgets and in 5 minutes she was having a blast taking photos and movies like a pro. Protecting files is SIMPLE and it means you’ll never delete anything by mistake.

- xD CARD: A new card system, it’s tiny and SUPER FAST compared to other memory cards/sticks. It saved a 60 second video in 2 seconds!! This used to take an age on some other cards. XD will also go up to 1GB eventually.

- FEATURES: The MANAUL settings have plethora of options from white balance, aperture, flash strength, EV (whatever that is) to sharpness control. The PORTRAIT mode is what I like. Pre-settings for night shots, sports shots, landscape and human portraits. AUTO mode takes the best picture 90% of the time I have found. You need to really know what you’re doing to fiddle on the manual settings.

- ZOOM: The fun factor. The big ass 228mm is brilliant. You can get REAL close to things. I think Fuji made the right choice sticking to 228mm Vs the Oly C-730 at 380mm because the user reviews show the Oly has problems past 250mm because the lens is not stabilized, hence pics are blurry. I STRONGLY recommend not settling for the standard “38-105mm” lens on 99% of point and shoot digicams. 228mm is a lot of fun.

- WEIGHT 400 odd grams with the batteries. Incredibly light. The hand grip is great too, very easy to take shots with one hand.

- ZOOM + PAN Once you’ve taken your shot you can zoom RIIIIIIIIGHT in and see detail. Eg. I took a shot of a radio from 10 feet and zoomed right in to see the notches on the dial!!!!!! You can then pan around the shot as well.

CONS:

- SIZE: For what it does (it’s almost a SLR really) and such a huge lens, it’s compact. In saying that, the previous model with the same lens was smaller. It’s not so much the size but the boxy shape makes it difficult to put in your pocket for say a night out. It doesn’t fit in the gorlfriends hand bag unless she’s using the large one. This reduces the “fun factor” because you’re less likely to take it out for social photos. The Olympus has a larger lens and is wider but less boxy …… I prefer that shape. In saying that, the boxy shape of the fuji means it is extremely easy to take pics with one hand and it’s super stable.

- ISO: ISO is frozen at 100. Would like a 200 and 400 option even though I am not sure what it does yet!

- BURST MODE: Only 2 consecutive shots, the Oly has 12. Much better.

- VIDEO OUT There isn’t one. I’d like to view movies on the TV or slide show pics. Again the Oly C-730 has this.

- CONSTRUCTION: It feels very fragile, that may just be the light weight though. The front dial is WAY TOO easy to hit by mistake and change your mode.

- MOVIE ZOOM is only digital so you lose resolution. A real pain not to use the optical zoom on the movie mode.

- BATTERIES EXCELENT compared to other digicams but still woeful. The company that designs a camera that lasts a LONG time on 4 batteries will make a fortune.

OTHER BITS AND BOBS:

- SLR?? I honestly can’t see why you’d need a genuine SLR. They are bigger, heavier and trickier. Imaging is meant t be FUN and as mentioned, the Fuji is already too big for me. Unless you’re a dead set pro I just can’t see why you’d need more manual settings???? Unless you have an age to shoot each shot you won’t use them anyway. IMHO a mid range camera is the best compromise.

- DIGITAL FUN: Look if you’re considering digital it’s worth the money. It is SO MUCH FUN to have instant gratification of seeing the photo right away, no fiddly film, and you only print the pics you like not waste half a roll of 36 exposures ‘cos they’re crap. The movie mode is a blast and REALLY adds to the product, to capture moments with such spontaneity is brilliant fun. Being spontaneous is what it’s all about and it let’s you do that ‘cos you don’t feel like you’re “wasting film” so you snap like mad. You become a better photographer too because you can instantly see what you’re manual settings do vs the wait on traditional film.

Assuming the 4x6 prints come out as good as I am told they do, I will be very, very happy with this.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:31 AM   #15

I purchased my Fuji 3800 for $409 on EBay. For that price I got:

the camera
camera bag
4 rech. batteries and rapid recharger
32 mb xd card
cleaning kit

shipping included

I thought it was an excellent price! Love this camera! Learning new stuff everytime I use it. Just worried about my trip to Disneyworld in June 2003. Don't know that I can afford a digital wallet just for the trip, but not sure on how many memory cards to buy. Any suggestions?

tina :lol: :lol: :lol:
imzaxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 3:57 PM   #16

If you look in your camera manual, there is a small chart that says how many pictures you get on each card size at each resolution and compression setting. If the 3800 has 3 settings for it's maximum resolution, I would hesitate before using the 3rd one ("Basic"): usually there's TOO MUCH compression, and you get easily visible artifacts. At least I do on my FinePix 2800 at 'Basic" compression: Fine and Normal are both good. I haven't figured any real use for the Basic setting (pictures where the artifacts weren't important).
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 5:21 AM   #17

Quote:
- xD CARD: A new card system, it’s tiny and SUPER FAST compared to other memory cards/sticks. It saved a 60 second video in 2 seconds!! This used to take an age on some other cards. XD will also go up to 1GB eventually.
Fuji spec says it's 16-128Mb same as older SM spec. So will it work with larger cards? When Fuji spec. they normally mean what they say, e.g as per their statements on CF compatibility!
Old Jan 2, 2003, 9:59 PM   #18

I received the camera as a Christmas gift, although it was my research that persuaded my significant other that this was the camera she should buy. The camera is by no means large. I've had good success @ max zoom. My gut feel so far is "she" made the right decision with this purchase. I have a handful of pictures I can send you if you want, it's just a hobby for me, but I've found enough versatality with this camera that I'm always looking forward to my next shooting session.
dpmeersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 8:34 AM   #19

Are there more views to this thread than Steves review? -obviously a very popular Xmas presie!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...fuji_3800.html
Old Jan 7, 2003, 2:02 AM   #20

Default 3800

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I want to get into the mix. I got my wife a 3800 - it's fun to use and gives good quality pics. I also use a Canon ZR50 MC digital camcorder that takes digital stills [not megapixel quality, tho]. I'm not new to photography or videography but I am to the digital variety. Really notice the lag in taking the picture on the 3800. Often I am taking action shots of my son, and by the time it's recorded, the captured frame is empty or nearly so. I don't have this problem, with still captures on the camcorder, so I'm wondering if this is a problem with all megapixel cameras, or with only certain brands or models? I'm trying to learn to compensate for the movement by tracking shots, but I'm sure glad I'm not having to pay for film for all my wasted shots! It seems like it's almost a full second from the time I press the shutter until the image is captured. Comments?
wiredinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote